• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Army records found.

I see that in the basement of the Red Cross headquarters, Switzerland, they've found millions of 'forgotten' WW1 records.
icon5.gif

Graham.

BBC web site...
The records could potentially reveal the whereabouts of individuals whose remains were never found, or never identified. Grave after grave in the World War I cemeteries mark the last resting place of an unknown soldier.

Do not get carried away with all this as there are no unknown soldiers. Under the headstone 'A Soldier of the Great War. Known unto God' are some kind of human remains but they are unknown because no dog tag was found with the remains to identify the death. So I do not not see how the Red Cross records can possibly ID these graves. We know who they are because they did not answer battalion rolls calls and are commemorated on the memorials to the missing like the Menin Gate and the Thiepval Memorial. We also have the variations of the unknowns where some kind of ID was able to be made e.g. 'A officer of the Great War' 'An Australian of the Great War' 'a Royal Warwicks of the Great War' etc etc.

Back