• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Army & R A F Recruiting Offices

My youngest daughter J.S.Wheeler now retired after twenty years service in the army spent four years in London as a recruiting officer. As she soon discovered this was the route to getting a British passport and your HVG license. When she asked one applicant why he wanted to join the army he replied "to get a gun and shoot terrorists" she explained this was not a good enough reason.

YEEEEEESSSS, this is modern Britain, when I joined up in the early 60's, I was asked why , "I said to travel the world sir", I was told in no uncertain terms, your main priority as a trained soldier was, "to kill the enemy's, of the state, as effectively and as quickly as is possible. Within in the Geneva Convention, of course. Paul

I don't remember being asked why I wanted to join the RAF, in the mid nineteen fifties. Maybe as I was an air cadet it was taken for granted. :D

I joined the RAF for 2 reasons n 1948 to fly as aircrew and see the world, in my 8 years I did plenty of both so I was happy. Eric

I would have probably been a pro cyclist, if not having to spend two wasted years in the RAF But then the country came first

I would have probably been a pro cyclist, if not having to spend two wasted years in the RAF But then the country came first
Did you manage to get an air force bike? Not great for road racing but at least it kept the leg muscles in good shape. :D Then, if you had you own bicycle, the Wednesday afternoon sports afternoons could be a good chance to see the countryside. I usually went for walks or horse riding (when possible).

Did you manage to get an air force bike? Not great for road racing but at least it kept the leg muscles in good shape. :D Then, if you had you own bicycle, the Wednesday afternoon sports afternoons could be a good chance to see the countryside. I usually went for walks or horse riding (when possible).
I was batman to a sports officer, so I had plenty of time to ride my bike, raced a lot, but also got lost with the lads chasing the "Birds" and drinking.

Hi GUYS
iF I can remember correctly way back in the fifty.s there was a recruitment offices for the NAVVY / RAF FORCES
On the corner of small brook rinway just on the bend of holloway head and about two yards from the Albany
Hotel it was a complex of the shopping precint facing the picture house and the Army Office was half way
Down great charles street and thats where my mate colin and myself enlisted the same day he went in the tank
regiment like his fore fathers grand dad and his father sammy gaskin i went after my relies in the royal warick of
the royal warick and we both met up again at lichfield barracks which had the toughest assault course they said

Back