• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

army photo

mariew

master brummie
I was looking through my parents photos and found this, I have looked at it through a magnifying glass but cannot recognise anyone, is there any way of telling what year it was from or where it was taken, any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Put that man with without a Beret, on a charge, 2nd row up 8th from the left.:)

Looking again, he is wearing one

Last edited:
Froth, there is a Barrack Room Window on the left and a couple of Motor Bikes and they don't look to old for those days. Could it be the Company of Home Guard?

Mariew any help:)

took the liberty of trying to enhance part of image cant get any closer to look at insignia? or uniform without bluuring:(someone may be able to improve on this good luck Mariew:)

Last edited:
I didn't know that Alf.

This is a stab in the dark. The Badges look narrow, could they be Royal Signals? Signals used Motor Bikes like in the back ground.

Froth, there is a Barrack Room Window on the left and a couple of Motor Bikes and they don't look to old for those days. Could it be the Company of Home Guard?

Mariew any help:)

May have been taken after the end of WW 2, bikes do not have headlamp covers which would be required in war time

I've come to the conclusion, it is not a Signals regiment, I was looking at the 2 buttons on the front of the cap.:rolleyes: The Badge it's self is bigger,maybe Royal Engineers:confused2:

have tried again to get closer and zoomed in to 400%the clearest part of image I think is this one with the cap badges probably no help But?

Last edited:
I'll see if my daughter can get it a bit clearer when she gets home , I tried getting a closer look, but it just pixelated. Thanks for your help so far boys, I wondered if the photo belonged to my dad, and perhaps a relative was in it, I may never get to the bottom of it, but it's worth a try.

Seeing this photo reminded me of one I had. I on the other hand can recognize my father 4th guy along from the left, top row. There is a stamp on the back which says Lewis Jones, Photographer. Torquay, Devon. I wonder what year this was and what he was doing in Devon?

View attachment 25766

There is a forum called World War 2 Talk , it covers far more than just that. If someone could look it and post the link thanks.
The members are extremely knowledgeable on this sort of thing and I think they may be able to help identify the picture. They are friendly bunch and love a good mystery.

mariew's pic:
Thought of the Home Guard too. Certainly they had 17-year-olds in it - and ones younger, unofficially, down to 15 or 16. But there isn't the range of ages there - no grizzled middle-aged blokes. And no one, apart from the officers, have ribbons which a fair proportion of Home Guards would have had. Also the officers look too smart. Definitely not HG.
Possibly post-war. Not too long after though, as the forage caps disappeared early.
ww2 Talk might be an idea. Failing that a reenactors' forum will analyse every button for you.

Jules65's pic:
Feel it's somewhat later. A bit 1950s National Service-ish to me, but I may be wrong. When was your dad 18-20?

Chris

[quoteJules65's pic:
Feel it's somewhat later. A bit 1950s National Service-ish to me, but I may be wrong. When was your dad 18-20?

Chris[/quote]

My dad was born in December 1921. I know that he was in REME and served in Africa and Italy during WW2. Before war broke out he was in the TA.

Thanks to everyone who has helped your all so helpful, I have just joined the forum you recommended Arkrite thank you, I will let you know how I get on, and thanks for the link ChrisM.

The soldiers who are facing sideways where you should see the shoulder badges, have had them blanked out, curious or what or is it me seeing things:rolleyes:

Mariew, I have just visited your thread on WW2Talk. As you see those people know their stuff. Just give them a sniff of something and they are like bloodhounds. Its amazing some of the stories they uncover. Hope they have success with your picture.
Those young men deserve some sort of recognition even if it just the Course and year. Good Luck.

Jules

They could be anywhere my Dad as in Scotland, Devon, Dorset & Surrey and never ever spoke about all of them never mentioned Scotland only to say he was there in WW11.:)

Thank you Arkrite they are so helpful, and they have told me it is second world war and some are Royal army service corps and some are in battle dress, they made me rack my brains trying to think of someone who served in the second world war, I ruled out my grandads because they were too old and my dad was too young, but last night it came to me my uncle Charles served in the second world war, so I have posted a photo of him on there also another photo of a man on a motor bike, but I don't know who he is, anyhow I will wait to see if they can connect him with the photo and get back to you, I'll enclose them on here in case they interest you.

Last edited:
I have been informed that the army photo and the motor bike photo aren't connected the bike photo is post war, I think it was probably one of my dads pals when he done his national service.

Sorry your inquiries seem to have ground to a halt. You never know someone in the future may recognise the picture . We all should make little notes on the back of our photos so those who come looking in the future will have an easier job.
Mind you , how many digital images will survive the computer crashes, reformats and changes of system to be viewed in 70 years time.
there is a lot to be said for being lost in an unopened box.
cheers.

Back