• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

army photo

mariew

master brummie
I was looking through my parents photos and found this, I have looked at it through a magnifying glass but cannot recognise anyone, is there any way of telling what year it was from or where it was taken, any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Put that man with without a Beret, on a charge, 2nd row up 8th from the left.:)

Looking again, he is wearing one

Last edited:
Froth, there is a Barrack Room Window on the left and a couple of Motor Bikes and they don't look to old for those days. Could it be the Company of Home Guard?

Mariew any help:)

took the liberty of trying to enhance part of image cant get any closer to look at insignia? or uniform without bluuring:(someone may be able to improve on this good luck Mariew:)

Last edited:
I didn't know that Alf.

This is a stab in the dark. The Badges look narrow, could they be Royal Signals? Signals used Motor Bikes like in the back ground.

Froth, there is a Barrack Room Window on the left and a couple of Motor Bikes and they don't look to old for those days. Could it be the Company of Home Guard?

Mariew any help:)

May have been taken after the end of WW 2, bikes do not have headlamp covers which would be required in war time

I've come to the conclusion, it is not a Signals regiment, I was looking at the 2 buttons on the front of the cap.:rolleyes: The Badge it's self is bigger,maybe Royal Engineers:confused2:

have tried again to get closer and zoomed in to 400%the clearest part of image I think is this one with the cap badges probably no help But?

Last edited:
I'll see if my daughter can get it a bit clearer when she gets home , I tried getting a closer look, but it just pixelated. Thanks for your help so far boys, I wondered if the photo belonged to my dad, and perhaps a relative was in it, I may never get to the bottom of it, but it's worth a try.

Seeing this photo reminded me of one I had. I on the other hand can recognize my father 4th guy along from the left, top row. There is a stamp on the back which says Lewis Jones, Photographer. Torquay, Devon. I wonder what year this was and what he was doing in Devon?

View attachment 25766

There is a forum called World War 2 Talk , it covers far more than just that. If someone could look it and post the link thanks.
The members are extremely knowledgeable on this sort of thing and I think they may be able to help identify the picture. They are friendly bunch and love a good mystery.

Back