• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Army/Navy stores

Robert Ensor (bob)

master brummie
Does any one recall these there was one in the city but I can't remember where, I seem to remember it had 3 floors ?, also I think there was one in Aston ?, I recall in the very early 70's going and buying a kit bag for a weeks stay on a old Thames sailing barge at Walton on the Naze with the sea cadets ( T S Sherboune ).

Last edited:
There was one in Erdington, I also recall a place right by Aston Station that sold army surplus Brewers?.

One I remember and used was Oswald Bailey see post and pic below ... :)
It's 1958 and the long rebuild has started ... upgrading to a smart city centre.
I remember seeing it as I walked round the corner to go in that Oswald Bailey shop.
index.php

There were A&N stores, according to threads here on BHF, in Erdington, Sparkbrook and apparently Oswald Bailey took over the Army & Navy place. Posts 24 -- 26 refer:

Last edited:
There was one in Brum downtown in the 1950s, I got a dark blue navy duffle coat with the wooden pegs there, loved it, wore it out was very warm and comfy

Four city centre shops in November 1941. There may have been others in the suburbs. Viv.

Attachments

• 59DA378B-6C3F-4288-A431-C44F30E84F03.jpeg
    59DA378B-6C3F-4288-A431-C44F30E84F03.jpeg
    390.1 KB · Views: 17
I remember Oswald Bailey on the corner of Moor Street (I think), but I definitely remember them moving further up Moor Street opposite the bottom of Carrs Lane when the old shop was demolished, because I had a mate who worked there. He was still working for them when they moved back to the Bull Ring and their new shop adjacent to the spiral ramp.

In my opinion the best army & navy store is T W Ryder on Harborne Lane, it has genuine ex forces stock at genuine ex wd prices. I often take a trip over there just to have a look around.

City Moor St 1960's.jpgCity Bull Ring Shortly Before Demolition (5).JPG

I made several trips to Ryders when my children joined the A.T.C. in Barrows Lane (2030 Sqdr) to get various bits of kit mainly being footwear. Shoes that had hours spent on them in their bedrooms getting them to that all important shine. (Wouldn't do it with their school shoes!)

Phil,

Thought I remembered the ones in Moor Street, but thought I would wait for one of the experts to confirm it before I opened my big mouth! :)

Maurice

The Army and Navy stores was in the Big Top arcade when I used to shop there (60's) There was also Millets in the same area. Can't remember which was which though. But I do remember buying the regulation black plastic mac from there. Maybe someone will put me right if I am wrong!

Sue

I'm pretty sure Millett's was on New Street a couple of doors up from the Odeon, so the A&N must have been in the arcade, but I don't think it was called the Big Top Arcade it must have been either the City Arcade or the Midland Arcade in that area.

Always known it as the Big Top (where the Co-op used to be). I remember the entrance to the co-op on the left (where they sold records) and one of the stores was facing at the end. I have probably got it all wrong though, it was a long time ago!!

Wasn't there two entrances to the Big Top? Littlewoods and BHS were in New Street, then the Co-op and Boots in High Street. This is the "new" Co-op, not the old one which was on the other side of High Street. So I am sure there was entrances in both New Street and High Street.

Sue

This is a diagram locating the arcades in that area, I think it came off this site originally some years back.

City Birmingham Arcades.jpg

There was an army surplus shop on Coventry Road at Hay Mills, (Berkely Road junction?). Several boys at school bought a small rectangular, canvas covered, bag there. My brother bought a military-style gas mask from them for 1/6d I think! It had a corrugated hose pipe and a brown painted can containing the carbon filters. Was it called Wootons's? Unrelated but I bought a bomb release switch box from one of surplus advertisers in Wireless World. My plan was to strip out the 16 switches and sell them for a couple of shillings each. Unfortunately it was an early example of integration and the body for all the switches was a single moulding. These panels were quite popular with railway modellers. I lent mine to a young lad at primary school when they were 'doing WW2', I told him it was ex-Lancaster, which might have been true, (they used the same style), and that made him popular for once, (a victim of bullying), so I can live with that. (Not quite a Dan Snow female air ace lie!).

Last edited:
There was an army surplus shop on Coventry Road at Hay Mills, (Berkely Road junction?). Several boys at school bought a small rectangular, canvas covered, bag there. My brother bought a military-style gas mask from them for 1/6d I think! It had a corrugated hose pipe and a brown painted can containing the carbon filters. Was it called Worral's? Unrelated but I bought a bomb release switch box from one of surplus advertisers in Wireless World. My plan was to strip out the 16 switches and sell them for a couple of shillings each. Unfortunately it was an early example of integration and the body for all the switches was a single moulding. These panels were quite popular with railway modellers. I lent mine to a young lad at primary school when they were 'doing WW2', I told him it was ex-Lancaster, which might have been true, (they used the same style), and that made him popular for once, (a victim of bullying), so I can live with that. (Not quite a Jon Snow female air ace lie!).
Pretty sure the shop was called "Wootons", John.

Thought I remembered the ones in Moor Street, but thought I would wait for one of the experts to confirm it before I opened my big mouth! :)

Maurice
[/QUOTE

was that oswald bailey our MAURICE.?
Morton i sure bought some tat from Brewers mom would go mad at me :grinning:[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Hi,

Seem to remember that Coventry Rd shop as Warrenders, Almost opposite the end of Kings Road.
I bought a few things from there, Including 2 new army shaving brushes, one dated 1943 and the
other dated 1945. I'm still using the 1943 one, - the 1945 one is still untouched.
They certainly knew how to make them then.

I recollect an Army and Navy shop or was it Milletts a couple of doors from the Tax Office in
Union Street.

Stay safe

Kind regards
Dave

I worked in Wakefields Army and Navy Stores in the centre of Birmingham as a Saturday job and then full time while awaiting exam results. I worked in the shoe and boot department in the basement and managed the department while working full time. There were 2 Wakefields shops in centre of Birmingham. I think the store I worked in was located in Cherry Street, but not 100% certain, it was quite a few years ago ( sort of between M&S/Grays and Rackhams ). Always lots of skinheads buying ‘cherry reds’. Doc Martins boots were sold but were never as popular as they are now.

Hi,

I remember there was an Army and Navy store in Union Street, right by the Tax Office.
Only down the road from Cherry Street so I wonder if this was the one you worked at?

Kind regards
Dave

There was a A&N shop on Witton rd on right hand side just past Trinity rd junction heading towards Witton station.

Back