• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Army Chaplain Marriage Records For Gibraltar

Trevor Taplin

Brummie babby
Hi. I am looking for anyone who has access to Army Chaplain marriage records for Gibraltar 1879 to 1880? I can't find anything for a Sanchez,Catherine to establish the details of her and her husband?

Hi Trevor

https://familysearch.org/

Don't know if you have tried the Family Search IGI site but there is the following:

Catherine Sanchez born 1853 married 29 Nov 1879 at St Mary the Crowned, Gibraltar.
Father Joseph Sanchez
Spouse John Chidwich born 1856
Father Egbert Chidwich
Grooms Race White
Brides Race White

You may wish to check out the site as it has other options also.

Suzanne

Hi Trevor: There is a Catherine Sanchez listed on this Army Chaplain's Marriage list for Gibraltar for those dates. https://www.iukgenweb.org/gibraltar/articles.php?article_id=25
This list is part of a large PDF file by Donald Brett listing alphabetically Gibraltar marriages for that time period, etc. No other details.

Hi, thanks for the information, very useful. I can see the two entries as an Index with a reference = 547 which I guess is a page number or something within the Army Chaplains Marriage records. Shame there is no way to actually view the record to get the grooms regiment details etc.

Thanks Suzanne this detail is very helpful and gives me more background on these ancestors. I have also a reference in the Army Chaplains Index for Marriage in Gibraltar for John and Catherine, but can't actually access the Chaplain records themselves to establish what regiment John was in. This info is great and will try to find the actual Chaplain records.

Trevor

His Army records are on FMP. He is listed as John CHADWICK born 1856 St Mary's Carlisle Cumberland . Rifle Brigade 53rd & 54th. He was in Gib from 1877 to 1880. If you haven't access I can send them to you if you IM me your email:)

His record of marriage to Catherine is also on there.
Suzanne

Hi Suzanne. I don't have access on FMP. . The only bit that does confuse me is I have John Chidwick as born in Dover Kent in 1854 to Edward and Jane Chidwick; Kent Dover area being where all the Chidwicks appear to come from. So Not sure this John Chadwick is the right guy.

Well I will email you with them anyway. But his records definitely say he married Catherine Sanchez as per the 29 Nov Gibraltar.

By the way, I would remove your email as it will be able to be seen by all.

Suzanne

Hi Trevor

I sent them about 18.30. Just rechecked your email and I have it correct and I haven't received a failed mail notice.

Suzanne

Back