• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

armishaw

morris

master brummie
trying to find marriage or any details of John Edward Thorneycroft Armishaw born 1884 in kings Norton died 1951 and his wife who was Helen Elizabeth Chandler before she married him born approx 1885

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no birth of a Helen Elizabeth Chandler anywhere on birth records there is however a Ellen Elizabeth Chandler born Brierley Hill in Sept 1884
on record.
Ellen E Chandler married a Francis Lawrence in 1910
1911 census has them in Eastwood Road, Balsall Heath Frank 28 is a meat Salesman b Birmingham and now spelling her name Helen his wife age 26.
they had 3 sons
Francis 1911
William 1914
Henry 1917
Frank/Francis Lawrence died in 1917

There are twin boys born to Armishaw/Chandler the birth certificates are on Ancestry which say
Mother Lawrence formerly Chandler.Father John Master plumber.
They lived in Trafalgar Road , Moseley.

I don't think that John and Ellen were married and I cannot find death for Helen/Ellen Armishaw, there is however a death of a Ellen Elizabeth Lawrence age 81 in 1965 Birmingham.

Last edited:

rowan

Born a Brummie
In 1912 John E. T. was living with his other MARY ANN ARMISHAW at 113 SHERBOURNE ROAD.

1901 at the same address with parents GEORGE & MARY ANN. John was a plumber.

His father George was born in London Westminster about 1832 & his Mother Mary Ann (nee THORNEYCROFT) born about 1845 Wolverhampton. They were married June 1868 Aston 6d 356. George & Mary Ann had 6 children but by 1911 only 3 had survived.

George died 1918 age 86. Mary Ann died 1926 age 81.

In the Midlands Electoral Rolls 1930 a JOHN EDWARD ARMISHAW is living at 68 Alcester Road with VICTORIA ARMISHAW & FRANK ARMISHAW. If this is your John then these could be the surviving 3 children of George & Mary Ann.

morris

master brummie
Hello alberta,
the information you gave me was for my son and his wife. They are really pleased with results you sent. They were wondering how you would get details of the death certificate of ellen elizabeth lawrence the one who died in 1965 in birmingham.
This is why they started to look as it was sally's dads mother.they lost contact years ago
and they were trying to find out where she was buried.
Many thanks once again reg morris

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Reg, the death certificate can be purchased at Birmingham Register office, used to be about £9, may have changed recently.
She died in the December quarter 1965.
The death certificate will have details of where she died and the informant of her death which may give your daughter in law more info.