• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Area bound by Temple Row Cherry St Corporation St Crooked Lane Bull St

Mike, the old Guild Hall that housed the first King Edwards School is shown on that map also and I wonder if the thread on Worcester Street shows a painting that just caught the outline of that building just before it was demolished.

I can't think of another sighting of this building.

1553 - that take us back four hundred years and more, so good hunting, Mike.
I must find time to look at the other thread about Worcester Street.
If only there were more hours in a day...

Rupert. i think the guild hall would have been a bit too far along, though, as i said, the map is conjectural, so you nerver know.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's lovely Dek, Thanks. The North Western Arcade is still there, not much else https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52...=WfUjWT7-5YdxJ00rVKKvUw&cbp=12,162.88,,0,3.12

Reminds me wasn't both that and the Great Western Arcade opposite (with the wonderful Druckers) were built on top of the rail tunnel that was sliced through from Snow Hill? Need a rail expert to "fill us in" please.....

My dad was Concierge of The Great Western Arcade in th1980's. We lived above it on the 5th floor of Prudential Buildings on Colmore Row. Then at the top end of the arcade above Druckers.facing into Rackhams!!!

Just seen this thread and read it from the start, what a great pity we cant see the photo's, shame on the person that hacked our site

My dad was Concierge of The Great Western Arcade in th1980's. We lived above it on the 5th floor of Prudential Buildings on Colmore Row. Then at the top end of the arcade above Druckers.facing into Rackhams!!!

Interesting, one of my uncle's was architect for the Prudential building.

We used to enter via a door facing the Cathedral next to the Bank Of Scotland.
It was scary coming home at night, taking the lift to the 5th floor. Running along the corridors in the dark to the fire exit. Then we would have to go down to the 4th floor because the 4th floor offices were no access. Our flat was facing Snow Hill before it was re-developed. It was a manky old car park before that!

The thread was originally started to discuss the area “bounded by Temple Row, Cherry St, Corporation St/Crooked Lane and Bull St”

It drifted into commentary about the Rackhams Store and the origins of the term “Back of Rackhams” for which there are now separate threads. This thread has been tidied up to move comments to these threads. Posts of a personal nature or ones of less appropriate content have been removed.

Viv.

Last edited:
This thread is now open again. Thank you for your patience.

If anyone can help in replacing lost images or links on this thread please let one of the mods know. It’s an interesting thread and such a pity to have lost so much of the visual content. Viv.

Dr Ash’s house in Temple Row, from the Shoothill site. It shows #29-37 Temple Row. The Drs house is mentioned in post #1 but I don’t think this can be image referred to in that post as it is a photograph of a much later date. Viv.

57AC0F90-2F92-4DC2-A29B-E6330124FA57.jpeg

Viv
In 1845 it was a poulterer and dealer in game in that building, but that was along time before

Back