• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Are You All Right?

Big Gee

master brummie
I'm sure I'm not the only person who gets hot under the collar when addressed by a shop assistant thus: "Are you all right?" My response to this (being an old grump) is to say, "Why, don't I look it?"

What happened to "Good morning, sir" or "Can I help you?"

Harrumph....

Big Gee

I'm sure I'm not the only person who gets hot under the collar when addressed by a shop assistant thus: "Are you all right?" My response to this (being an old grump) is to say, "Why, don't I look it?"

What happened to "Good morning, sir" or "Can I help you?"

Harrumph....

Big Gee

You lucky if get "Are you all right" these days

Big Gee we have had that a lot lately and can you manage with your shopping [at the till putting it in bags]. I think we've had it. Might just do on line shopping from now on. Jean.

Oh yes, I forgot the 'can you manage?' bit. Being a bit grey around the temples I get this all the time. But the other week my wife went shopping at Somerfield in Streetly, while I waited for her in the car down the road.
When she came out, one of the assistants was wheeling her trolley for her, a really nice and polite young guy, who actually said that he was happy to help. I felt very guilty that I'd not gone into the shop with her.

But I agree - online shopping is beginning to sound highly attractive....

Big Gee

Big Gee not that long ago I was carrying shopping up the road when two of Pete's mates from Carlsberg stopped plonked me in the car and took me home [just to wind him up]. They knocked on the door and shouted what a horrible husband he was to let his wife cart all this shopping home on her own. He never lived it down at work. Jean.

Big Gee put it this way he will never live it down. That's just one of many. You know what you fella's are like love to wind one another up. We bumped into Ken one of them a few weeks ago at the Queseltt and Pete said here we go again. I think I said Tough or something similar. Jean.

Don't know what all the Fuss is about if its the Checkout Girls I try to make them laugh their jobs bad enough as it is.

If its are you alright I say yes and you.

When it comes to me opening doors for someone it a different story

Lifes to short to worry about what people say

Alf I do agree and I feel quite embaressed sometimes as Pete always winds them up [in the nicest way] gets himself banned then the next time I go in they always ask where he is. It is a standing joke that he is banned from everywhere from Great Barr to Bewdley and I'm not kidding. Jean. PS. Now you know why I would love to go shopping on my own?. Jean.

this one always makes me laff...your sitting in the doctors surgery and someone who you know comes in and says.....HOW ARE YOU or ARE YOU ALLRIGHT........lol

lyn

It's interesting to hear what you say, however I have to come to the aid of the checkout staff having been one myself during a part time job.
All the major supermarkets employ companies that check up on them and the way customers are treated by the staff. They are called Mystery Shoppers. This person may turn up at any time, wander around the store, buy a couple of things and go through the checkout in the normal manner. They do not have to announce themselves to anyone.
The checkout person however has many specific guidelines to work too. In my case, 19 items a minute had to be passed through the till, the customer had to be greeted in a pleasant manner and I was obliged to ask the customer whether they were able to pack their own bags or should I do it. The bill also had to be correct and the correct change given.
If any of the aforementioned criteria was missed when the mystery shopper came through the till, a report would be generated by their company. If two reports were received in any quarter of a year, all the staff in the store lost 1% of the annual bonus. The bonus was a maximum of 3% of their annual salary. To lose one third of it was very easy.
As many of you probably know, dealing with the general public is not easy. Some want to stop and chat which holds upthe queue, others want to get their shopping and get out of the store. At some point staff are also entitled to an off day and maybe not treat the customer as he/she expects.

This post is not intended to make excuses but to point out that the staff can be under pressure too. Treat them as you like to be treated is my motto.

Big Gee we have had that a lot lately and can you manage with your shopping [at the till putting it in bags]. I think we've had it. Might just do on line shopping from now on. Jean.

Hi Jean,

I get asked quite regularly if I want any help with the packing. I sometimes joke that if I can't put the shopping in the bag at the
store, how am I going to get the bags into the house! I shop
reglarly at Morrisons in Castle Bromwich, and I must say they could
not be more helpful and pleasant. I do sometimes think they could
have more tills open though - they've got enough!

Kind regards

Dave

I agre with you Dave, I always shop at the castle brom morrisons, and always find the staff polite, but your right about the queues.

I am amazed lately at my local Asda the staff stand and talk for ages. A lady passed a comment to me last week. She said I wish I had a job where I could stand and chat for 20 mins......I see it often. I suppose it's cutting down on management staff.

Yes Lyn, we are sitting in the surgery when they ask that and what do we answer...'Fine thanks' so what are we doing THERE then?

this one always makes me laff...your sitting in the doctors surgery and someone who you know comes in and says.....HOW ARE YOU or ARE YOU ALLRIGHT........lol

lyn

...or when the Doctor asks it!
Actually, my Doctor did once ask what was wrong. I said if I knew, I wouldn't be here bothering him!

Yes Lyn, we are sitting in the surgery when they ask that and what do we answer...'Fine thanks' so what are we doing THERE then?

Hi Maggs,

Rather reminiscent of the joke about the chap who visits the doctor
who remarks that he has not seen him for some time. No, replies the
chap, - I've been ill!

Kind regards

Dave

The one thing that gets my goat,is when you go into a shop and the two assistants are talking,the one of them gives you a nod as to what you want she has not listened to a word you have said so she asks you again,the last time it happened to me i said if you was not chatting you would hear what i want so i just walked out

Mossy

My Dr Dr. Harriss was off for some time after an operation and the first thing I said to him was "how are you" and he said he knows what a patient feels like now. Jean.

I went to the Dr one evening and all of a sudden he had a terrific nose bleed. I was worrying about him, forgot what I had gone for. Had to wait for him to recover.

Our doctor is a young married girl, she had her first baby last year, I found myself saying as I left the surgery one day just before she went off on maternity leave ' You go home and put your feet up.' She fell about, laughing.

re-are you allright ?
I visited the doctor this morning (oops) with a pain in my head. I have been going with this since 15th june.
We spoke about this and I said I have this small lump (pimple) where it is and it came when the pain started, has bled a little but still came back and is still there. He felt it with his finger.
He answered, it is not cancer, I said how do you know.
His answer, it does'nt look like it.

It's funny as only yesterday I received an e.mail asking the very same question. It was from another forum and I think the message should have read come and join us and turn your back on our forum. Like heck I will. Be careful not to fall into this subtle trap. Long live the BHN. Jean.

Jean my Doctor didn't ask me to join another Forum.

But he did ask me to pack up drinking and that was his biggest vice

Hey Alf I never do what my doctor orders. Let him think I do but I don't. Well only some of the time. Jean.

I Believe the checkout girls are told to make these remarks to the customers to "improve customer relations", the one I hate is "have a nice day", it sounds so insincere, the others I don't mind. We have had a new ASDA open in Chelmsley Wood and does not matter which checkout you use the check out staff all use same remarks, so its obvious they have been told to. Eric

Last edited:
Thats not new Eric it is after all owned by the Americans now.

What if I have a bad day

I was at my Doctors yesterday, and he asked me Flu? I said no, i've come on the Bus!

Back