• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Archway Of Tears

I was at City Hospital (Formerly "Dudley Road") this morning and was saddened to see that the Archway of Tears has been demolished. I had thought there plans to preserve it.
rosie.

hi rosie...so it has gone then...i have not been over over that way for some time so did not know...its just another example of how the powers that be care so little about preserving a major part of our heritage:mad:

lyn

I was at the Eye Hospital a few weeks ago and walking back along Western Road, I read the demolition order. It said that the Archway was to be carefully dismantled and stored for reuse in redeveloping the the site. we need to be vigilant.

thanks david...i take it its just the actually archway that they have saved..thats if they have of course...i read that the site is to be used to build new housing...have to say i dont think i would like a house on the ground where a building caused so much misery but having said that would without it have caused so much more

lyn

Last edited:
waste ground where the archway of tears once stood...noticed they managed to save a couple of trees..very nice of them:mad:

lyn

ARCH OF TEARS...ICKNIELD ST SCHOOL OLD END 002.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Viv, I've just had a thought, perhaps the white coloured building was an entrance on the road which was at some time demolished. I can see a building on Western Rd on a 1892-1905 map and perhaps they wanted a 'nice' looking entrance. It would be interesting to know when it was demolished.
Phil
Hi just a reply a few years too late as this is dated 2017 better late than never as they say. I worked as a volunteer in the early 1990s at what was the old workhouse at what was Dudley Rd geriatric school of medicine up until 1992/1993 when it was demolished apart from the Archway of tears Building which was incidentally turned down as listing from English heritage. And i can defiantly say the fine-looking entrance frontage building had definitely been demolished by that point as had the large chimney in one of the pictures. The workhouse chapel was demolished in 1977 And some of the stained glass is in the Birmingham art museum it this date and info on it. Marianne.

Expect this memorial has disappeared with demolition. A simple plaque commemorating those in such desperate need seems pretty inadequate to me, but at least it was recognised as an important part of local history. Viv.

Screenshot_20230225_154233_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230225_154348_Chrome.jpg

Source: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
Back