• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Archbishop Williams Tile cross 1960 - 64

Ank

Both my brother and I were at Archibshop Williams School, my brother from 1960 to 1964 and I was there from 1962 to 1966.

Anthony

My brother's name is John Teall. he was in form 1.1 in his first year and was there for the same time as you do you remember him?

Hi

Yes I remember him and the deputy head whose name I cannot remember but his nickname was China. Do you remeber the art teacher Miss Ivel I think her name was? Miss Bolan was my form teacher in 2nd and 3rd year.

Hi, Mr Blackband was my headmaster, Miss Iliff was the art teacher( bit of a dolly bird at the time) and Mr Hurley was deputy head known to us as china, I cannot remember my form teacher, but remember fondly the wood work teacher,
Paul Thompson (tommo) Peter Markey Tony Austin are some of my class mates I left in 1965
all the best
john

I was there between 1966 and 1970. I remember Kevin McNally, Greg Doyle. Pete Ryan and Paul Flatley, to name a few My last class teacher was Mr Hodder. When I applied to get into higher education in the late 70's he wrote me a great reference. He was the best teacher that I encountered during my time there. It was a happy school because of good mates, but with the exception of Mr Hodder I seem to recall a lot of the teachers just going through the motions.

I was part of the first intake in 1956 and left at Easter 1960 . Mr Blackband was Headmaster and was it Mrs Pendleton his assistant. Among the many teachers names I remember, Mrs Rae, Rory & David O,Sullivan, Mr Bluet, Mr Phillips, Miss Iliff, a couple of the teachers were married who,s names have gone at the moment Among the names of classmates there was, Peter Nichols, Peter Hughes, John Rackham , remember Rackhams Wine Lodge. Sheila Holder, Anita Davis, Diane Hiley, she was my own favourite, Kathleen Terry, Anthony Robinson ( Antman ) Brendan Betts, Peter Earnshaw ,Jimmy Grafton, Eugene Ellis I could go on when I’ve had a rethink.If any or others not mentioned here are still around please feel free to contact me. Looking back now I can’t say I was happy at AW but it was part of growing up. John Harney. PS Was Robert Kilroy Silk really Headboy???

I was part of the first intake in 1956 and left at Easter 1960 . Mr Blackband was Headmaster and was it Mrs Pendleton his assistant. Among the many teachers names I remember, Mrs Rae, Rory & David O,Sullivan, Mr Bluet, Mr Phillips, Miss Iliff, a couple of the teachers were married who,s names have gone at the moment Among the names of classmates there was, Peter Nichols, Peter Hughes, John Rackham , remember Rackhams Wine Lodge. Sheila Holder, Anita Davis, Diane Hiley, she was my own favourite, Kathleen Terry, Anthony Robinson ( Antman ) Brendan Betts, Peter Earnshaw ,Jimmy Grafton, Eugene Ellis I could go on when I’ve had a rethink.If any or others not mentioned here are still around please feel free to contact me. Looking back now I can’t say I was happy at AW but it was part of growing up. John Harney. PS Was Robert Kilroy Silk really Headboy???
I think Mr Blackband was the head when I was there and I think Mrs Rae left as I finished 5th year. I won the Elizabeth Rae prize in 1969 for getting most "O" levels

I was there between 1966 and 1970. I remember Kevin McNally, Greg Doyle. Pete Ryan and Paul Flatley, to name a few My last class teacher was Mr Hodder. When I applied to get into higher education in the late 70's he wrote me a great reference. He was the best teacher that I encountered during my time there. It was a happy school because of good mates, but with the exception of Mr Hodder I seem to recall a lot of the teachers just going through the motions.
Attended archies till 1970 doesn't seem that long ago but is

Attended archies till 1970 doesn't seem that long ago but is
Do you remember the leaving mass at the spaceship style church when we left just before Easter 1970?. You must have been a year ahead of me, as I don't recall you being in Bernie Hodder leaving class of "no hopers" as I heard one teacher call us. Some of us happily proved him wrong...

Hi, my Nan left in 1965/1966, are there any photos? Mainly from the choir, her name is Eileen Northey, now Eileen Gardner

My brother and myself started ABW 1957/58 Charlie Willis and Sean Willis
Hi I was from Shard End went to Archies 1969-75 anyone else around from that time I was Susan Gough. I believe my brothers Michael and Derek went there before me. They are 4 and 6 years older than me. Anyone remember us.

Back