• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Archbishop Williams Tile cross 1960 - 64

Hi

Yes I remember him and the deputy head whose name I cannot remember but his nickname was China. Do you remeber the art teacher Miss Ivel I think her name was? Miss Bolan was my form teacher in 2nd and 3rd year.
Mr.Hurley was China .. John Thompson (tommo)

Hi

Yes I remember him and the deputy head whose name I cannot remember but his nickname was China. Do you remeber the art teacher Miss Ivel I think her name was? Miss Bolan was my form teacher in 2nd and 3rd year.
His name was Mr. Hurley. I was there til 1964 and friends were Mickey colgan..Kevin smart....David pullen... Jimmy Taylor...my teacher was Mrs Johnson. I remember me.bluitt..mr. walmsley ( the worm ) oh and Martin gibbons. My brother was Christopher and Phillip Thompson.

Anthony

My brother's name is John Teall. he was in form 1.1 in his first year and was there for the same time as you do you remember him?
I certainly remember the name very well...but can't put a face to it. My best friend there was Micky colgan..Jimmy Taylor and Kevin smart.

We love to hear your school stories. Schooling and education are a significant chapter in our lives. The experiences of school and the relationships with the teaching staff shape us significantly and are part of our history.

A lot of people had very positive experiences at school. Importantly others did not. Together we need to write these stories into history, so that we may celebrate successes and learn from failures.

It is important to remind ourselves that this forum is a public platform that can be viewed by anyone across the globe. We ask our members to think carefully what they write. Tell us and others about your experiences good or bad. But also consider others when you do so there could be living relatives, friends or family who will see the relationship with these people differently from you. Adverse comments could be seen as defamatory, and even give rise to libel claims.

If you have experienced events at schools that you see as adverse, by all means say so, but please ensure you protect the identity of the people involved and in so doing you will protect yourself and this forum. Use phrases like “the maths teacher…” or “Miss X…” etc. If in doubt, the moderators are here to help.

So, lets have your school stories, good or bad. Just remember that it is the story of your school years we want to hear; it is not a platform for revenge.

We love to hear your school stories. Schooling and education are a significant chapter in our lives. The experiences of school and the relationships with the teaching staff shape us significantly and are part of our history.

A lot of people had very positive experiences at school. Importantly others did not. Together we need to write these stories into history, so that we may celebrate successes and learn from failures.

It is important to remind ourselves that this forum is a public platform that can be viewed by anyone across the globe. We ask our members to think carefully what they write. Tell us and others about your experiences good or bad. But also consider others when you do so there could be living relatives, friends or family who will see the relationship with these people differently from you. Adverse comments could be seen as defamatory, and even give rise to libel claims.

If you have experienced events at schools that you see as adverse, by all means say so, but please ensure you protect the identity of the people involved and in so doing you will protect yourself and this forum. Use phrases like “the maths teacher…” or “Miss X…” etc. If in doubt, the moderators are here to help.

So, lets have your school stories, good or bad. Just remember that it is the story of your school years we want to hear; it is not a platform for revenge.
Archbishop Williams was my school from 1960 to 1964. Mr black and ( the beak ) was headmaster and Mr Hurley ( China) was deputy. Mr. Walmsley ( the worm ) was our maths teacher. Mrs. Johnson my form teacher. Mrs. Burns the music teacher. Mr. Bluitt the metal work teacher. I remember going to Wales for a camping holiday with the school. The fights behind the shops after school. Another of my mates Martin Gibbons (gibbo). Charleth Eagan who fell from the stairs. Derek Timber, Michael Colgan, I also remember the school anthem written by Mrs. Burns and all the words...
Oh we love archbishop Williams
And sing it's praises dear,
A song of fond affection,
Let it ring loud and clear. Etc.etc.
Great days !!!! my name is John Thompson ( tommo).

My wife, then Carole Young of Castle Bromwich, was at Achbishop Williams from 1959 till 1963 and was head girl from 1962 to 1963. She remembers most of the teachers names and is still fiends with some of her class mates.

I was there then, left in 1971
I was part of the first intake in 1956 and left at Easter 1960 . Mr Blackband was Headmaster and was it Mrs Pendleton his assistant. Among the many teachers names I remember, Mrs Rae, Rory & David O,Sullivan, Mr Bluet, Mr Phillips, Miss Iliff, a couple of the teachers were married who,s names have gone at the moment Among the names of classmates there was, Peter Nichols, Peter Hughes, John Rackham , remember Rackhams Wine Lodge. Sheila Holder, Anita Davis, Diane Hiley, she was my own favourite, Kathleen Terry, Anthony Robinson ( Antman ) Brendan Betts, Peter Earnshaw ,Jimmy Grafton, Eugene Ellis I could go on when I’ve had a rethink.If any or others not mentioned here are still around please feel free to contact me. Looking back now I can’t say I was happy at AW but it was part of growing up. John Harney. PS Was Robert Kilroy Silk really Headboy???
I think Mr Blackband was the head when I was there and I think Mrs Rae left as I finished 5th year. I won the Elizabeth Rae prize in 1969 for getting most "O" levels

Hi

Mr Hurley was the d
Deputy Head and the art teacher was Miss Iliffe. I do not remember Miss Bolan.

peaple who were there around that time please contact me:p
Hi
I was there from 1960 to 1964. My name is John Thompson (tommo) from stechford. I was in Mrs Johnson's class. My best mate was Mickey colgan. I remember Kevin smart....charleth Egan.... Derek timberly...John Manley ... Noel woodhead....Kevin Farrell ... Jimmy Taylor... Jimmy cleary ..Martin gibbons...etc.
The teachers I remember are Mr. Black and the head ....Mr. Hurley ( China) deputy head....Mrs burns music teacher....Mr. Walmsley ( the worm )....Mr. bluitt woodwork....Mr. Cassidy sports...Mr. O'Sullivan... Etc.
Other memories are camping trip to Wales...fights behind the shops after 4pm...all the words to the school song " oh we love archbishop Williams and sing it's praises dear.....".
I think all my siblings also attended AWSchool...they are Christopher...Philip... Christine and hazel Thompson.
I left Birmingham in 1966 and have lived on the isle of wight eversince in godshill.
Please feel free to contact me for a chinwag anytime.

Archbishop Williams was my school from 1960 to 1964. Mr black and ( the beak ) was headmaster and Mr Hurley ( China) was deputy. Mr. Walmsley ( the worm ) was our maths teacher. Mrs. Johnson my form teacher. Mrs. Burns the music teacher. Mr. Bluitt the metal work teacher. I remember going to Wales for a camping holiday with the school. The fights behind the shops after school. Another of my mates Martin Gibbons (gibbo). Charleth Eagan who fell from the stairs. Derek Timber, Michael Colgan, I also remember the school anthem written by Mrs. Burns and all the words...

Great days !!!! my name is John Thompson ( Ha hatommo).

Great days !!!! my name is John Thompson ( Ha hatommo).

peaple who were there around that time please contact me:p
I was there 60 to 64. Mrs Johnson was my form teacher. My best mate was Micky colgan. Also Martin gibbons,Kevin smart, Kevin Farrell, noel woodhead, Jimmy taylor.i remember the camping trip to Hereford. Good old days. My name is John Thompson ( tommo ). Lived in stechford.

Hi all,
My name is Chris Ludlow I was there from 1959 to 1964. Tommo I also live on the isle of Wight in Brading, been here for 17yrs now.
I recognise most of the the names posted Mr Blackband headmaster and Mr Hurley deputy head (he caned me a good few times) Rory O'Sullivan was my form teacher, he had time for all the kids, it was sad the way he died.
Do you remember morning break times, free milk, jammy dodgers, wagon wheels, the smokers behind the oil tank, absolute mayhem in boys playground with the occasional fight.
Some more names to list Paddy and Micky Whyte. Paddy Kirk, Paddy Feeney, both played for Birmingham boys football. Tommy Fitzpatrick good at running. I also knew the Taylors Joanne, Chris, Jimmy, and Mary, I dated Mary for while.
Chris and I went to live and work in Jersey in 1968 stayed there for about 18 months. I've lost touch with them over the years.

Hi all,
My name is Chris Ludlow I was there from 1959 to 1964. Tommo I also live on the isle of Wight in Brading, been here for 17yrs now.
I recognise most of the the names posted Mr Blackband headmaster and Mr Hurley deputy head (he caned me a good few times) Rory O'Sullivan was my form teacher, he had time for all the kids, it was sad the way he died.
Do you remember morning break times, free milk, jammy dodgers, wagon wheels, the smokers behind the oil tank, absolute mayhem in boys playground with the occasional fight.
Some more names to list Paddy and Micky Whyte. Paddy Kirk, Paddy Feeney, both played for Birmingham boys football. Tommy Fitzpatrick good at running. I also knew the Taylors Joanne, Chris, Jimmy, and Mary, I dated Mary for while.
Chris and I went to live and work in Jersey in 1968 stayed there for about 18 months. I've lost touch with them over the years.
Yeah I also got caned by Mr Hurley ( china). There was something not right with him. I moved to the Isle of Wight in 1966 and lived in shanklin then ventnor and now currently in godshill. 20 years since I last went back to Brum. I worked in brading youth club for about 3 years with Barbara and Malcolm up until about a year ago. Just waiting for the bowls season to start where I play for camp hill bowls club. Hope you're well.

Hi Tommo,
yes I am well getting a bit creaky as I get older, I am 75 now, I guess you must be about 73-74 where as all that time gone!
I agree with you about China, he definitely took pleasure in caning someone.
I was in Birmingham last December to visit my sister, she lives in Wyndhurst road Stechford, you would not recognise the city now.
I was thinking the other night how many schools there were around ours, there was Central grammar, Byng Kendrick, Wilfred Martineau, Lea village and the two juniors schools Our lady's and Shirestone, loads of kids at going home time!

I'm 74 today. The older you get the faster the years go by. As for China, I heard from Noel woodhead that he was a bit " strange" around boys. He was always lurking around the showers after P.E. I remember at our camping trip to Hereford when I was sunbathing outside our tent when he said I had a nice body. Odd thing for a teacher to say. Dinner time when there was always a rush to try to be the first 2 in the queue as then you would be the 2 that dishes out the dinner to the other 6 at the to table . Great days and great memories that don't seem to fade much.

Happy birthday Tommo have a good one. Yes time does pass quickly as long as we wake up the next morning that's fine.
I remember the name Noel Woodhead can't put a face to name.
My first couple of weeks in my first year, I was at dinner when argument started with a lad saying he did not have enough mash potato, it ended up with him and the lad dishing out throwing lumpy mash potato at each other, followed by gravy, that spread to a few other tables, a teacher called Mr. Baines was blowing his whistle trying to stop it, the dinner ladies sorted it in the end. So funny thinking back.

I was there 60 to 64. Mrs Johnson was my form teacher. My best mate was Micky colgan. Also Martin gibbons,Kevin smart, Kevin Farrell, noel woodhead, Jimmy taylor.i remember the camping trip to Hereford. Good old days. My name is John Thompson ( tommo ). Lived in stechford.
We had a family by the name of Thompson living next door to us- Lyttelton Road . One of the family- a son of the owners was ‘John.’ His sister was Beryl and the father was a self employed carpenter. Whilst the John I am thinking of was born in the 1930’s thereabouts, could he/ they be any relation to you?

Back