• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Archbishop Masterton's School for Boys Coleys Lane

T

treva2

hello i went to ARCHBISHOP MASTERSON BOYS SCHOOL COLEYS LANE left about 1971/2 mr hurley was head master it was great school anybody here go there love to chat about it
treva2

Schools in Aston

Hi Peeps :redface:

Wonder if one of you learn-ed souls could advise me on this one - my father was born in 1903 and lived in Aston during his school years, Which school/s is it likely that he attended.

Oh and thanks to all of you who took the trouble to say hi and replied to my very first post a few days ago

Vee

Living in Norfolk and not being back there for nearly 70 years, what has happened to my old school? Last night on national TV whilst having our dinner, Golden Hillock Road was splashed across the BBC headlines for all the wrong reasons. Sad. I was there in 47/48, and it was a lovely school. Mr Talbot, the Headmaster was a disciplinarian, and Mr Edwards, my teacher, you treated with respect, but they were good teachers. I had the cane for drawing in an exercise book, but it never did me any harm. When I told my father, he said I must have deserved it. End of story. I played for both the school football and cricket teams. Also noticed on the TV the high fencing around the school and cars parked. No high fencing or car park in my days. How times change. Eddie

hello i went to ARCHBISHOP MASTERSON BOYS SCHOOL COLEYS LANE left about 1971/2 mr hurley was head master it was great school anybody here go there love to chat about it
treva2
I left in 73 can't say I have your memories, all I remember is being kicked and punched by the likes of history teacher Jimmy Coghlan , Fitizpatrick, Saregent pretty brutal I recall.

treva2
Hi I went there from 1964 - 1965 I remember Hurley as head master, other teachers I remember were Mr Hickey, Mr O'Loughlin, Mr Pitt (they used to call him "bonehead") ... friends of mine back then were Kevin Nolan (his brothers were Michael Nolan who was a prefect, and James Nolan), Anthony Lines and others. I left England in 1965 and sailed to Canada on The Empress of Canada. I went to Archie's after leaving St Brigid's R C School on Frankley Beeches Rd.

treva2
Who knows if the OP still drops by to look, my best friend went their at that time Joe Fletcher his dad Jim owned the amusement arcade across the road from the 62 bus terminus at the top of Lickey Road, I went to Turves Green Boys School and use to buy chips from the shop at the top of Coleys Lane, my pop lives just down the road off of Staple Lodge Road next to West Heath Park

Hello everyone
I found out yesterday that my cousin went to Archbishop Masterson Boys' school. I believe it was demolished in 1988. He died in a tragic accident in 1962 with his dad. My mum can remember children from his school at their funeral. I’m wondering if anyone on here can remember? We haven’t any photos of him as a teenager only as a small child. I was hoping to contact his school and see if they had any record of him. I would appreciate anyone’s memories. Thank you in advance.

Hello everyone
I found out yesterday that my cousin went to Archbishop Masterson Boys' school. I believe it was demolished in 1988. He died in a tragic accident in 1962 with his dad. My mum can remember children from his school at their funeral. I’m wondering if anyone on here can remember? We haven’t any photos of him as a teenager only as a small child. I was hoping to contact his school and see if they had any record of him. I would appreciate anyone’s memories. Thank you in advance.
oh how very sad nicola....could you give us the name of your cousin and his dad as someone maybe able to check the online newspapers to see if there is an article about the accident which i presume was in birmingham..

lyn

oh how very sad nicola....could you give us the name of your cousin and his dad as someone maybe able to check the online newspapers to see if there is an article about the accident which i presume was in birmingham..

lyn
Thanks for reply. His name was John McLaughlin. He was 14 in 1962. I have got an article. I can try to attach it. Thank you.

Thanks for reply. His name was John McLaughlin. He was 14 in 1962. I have got an article. I can try to attach it. Thank you.
I remember most of the teachers mentioned I was in Boneheads class but in all fairness he was actually a very good teacher as was Mr Malin the art teacher, really into his music and Mr Lee or Lees he was a train spotter use to come into the playground with binoculars; I left in 1966 has anyone got a picture of the school badge? The name rings a bell Nicola I’ve got a couple of pictures from my time I will dig them out later this month when I get back home as I’m in Australia at the moment. The girls use to come over for country dancing for a short while I remember that but I had to catch a coach a broken down old thing we called the soap box Den Caney worth a fortune no doubt now
Regards all Tony

Hi Tony
Thank you so much. That would be great.
John was 14yrs old in 1962. Would you have been the same year?
Thanks
Nicola

Hi Nicola
I’m younger but will check photos when I get back to UK. May have whole school photo, I’m not sure what I’ve got
Regards Tony

Hi Nicola
I’m younger but will check photos when I get back to UK. May have whole school photo, I’m not sure what I’ve got
Regards Tony
If you are on Facebook, there is a group for people that went to the school. They let me join so I could try and find information about my cousin, which unfortunately I haven’t yet. They are having a reunion soon. I’m not going obviously, but just wanted to let you know and anyone else who is interested. I could find the details and put them here if I’m allowed to.

Last edited:
Back