• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Applejacks

M

Marshell50

Hi all

I got to meet Al Jackson of the Applejacks as I worked at the Sir Harry Public House in the 1970s. His mom and dad used to run it and he came to a birthday party held there. I actually got to dance with him but wasn't very impressed with him at the time - but now the wisdom of years tells me otherwise !

Bye for now.

Hi all

I got to meet Al Jackson of the Applejacks as I worked at the Sir Harry Public House in the 1970s. His mom and dad used to run it and he came to a birthday party held there. I actually got to dance with him but wasn't very impressed with him at the time - but now the wisdom of years tells me otherwise !

Bye for now.

I was in the same class at Camp Hill School as Gerry Freeman the
drummer from the Applejacks. Ah, happy days.

Kind regards Dave

There you are Folks, click the top of the Video if it fails to work

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3akq5UIwME"]YouTube - Tell me when by The AppleJacks[/ame]

Those were the days

Last edited:
just came across this thread and remembered i have the original L.P of the applejacks which i had kept all these years and a few years ago, when solihull civic hall was closed as a venue the Applejacks appeared on the farewell evening and i got it signed by them all

Many thanks for the You Tube Video - wow - what a great trip down memory lane! There are other videos on there that are more recent, I didn't realise they were still going? The singer doesn't look like Al Jackson, any idea who he is?

chinnychinn -
are you related to Carl Chinn by any chance?

chinnychinn -
are you related to Carl Chinn by any chance?
chinns have been round this area since the 11century on the wingfield -digby estates. we all seem to trace back to Rowington near lapworth and moved to birmingham with trade in the 1700,s. i have met carl and we think probably there is a link but just where we are not sure. chinny -chinn P.S i am better looking than him

Now now Chinnychin, I know we have not met since our schooldays but I feel you might be telling a little porkie there.

not so trevor,i had an e-mail off carl saying it was genuine and the first recorded use of our name as we spell it, one ralph chinn

Chinny, I am sorry. Let me explain myself. I was referring to your looks compared to Carl's, not the family link.
Trevor.

Saw the Applejacks at silverblades ice rink in pershore st, birmimgham when I was a youngster. I think, (not sure) they were there on a fancy dress occassion awarding prizes and yes they did sing that song!!

Happy days,

Shady

Chinny, I am sorry. Let me explain myself. I was referring to your looks compared to Carl's, not the family link.
Trevor.
well i will let you off then as your probably right him being younger and as all us chinns are, a rather handsome specimen of manhood

They faded much too fast,but this was because like some other bands of the time they put financial security before career advancement.Well they went off into cabaret on a cruise ship and lost contact with their fan base.

Here's an interview with Megan Davies,unusually they had a lady guitar player.

https://www.brumbeat.net/sixmegan.htm

I worked for Al Jackson at The Great Stone Pub, Northfield, Birmingham from 1972. It was opposite the church. He was M&B’s Manager at the pub.
Al new a wealth of music talent and often they came in for a pint and chat.
He helped start my DJ career which spanned nearly 35 years.....not arf...

I've just come across this thread having recently joined the history forum. When I was about 16, I was thrown out of The Stone in Northfield by Al Jackson for being under age, so I think I'm right in saying that he was managing the pub then. As a boy I'd bought "Tell me When," so I felt a little aggrieved at his lack of hospitality. Somewhere in the deep piles of memorabilia scattered throughout my dwelling, I've probably still got the 45. Having lived in France for thirty years, when I turned 60 I did the standard pilgrimage to all the places of my childhood/youth, including The Stone and got talking to a regular who remembered Al Jackson and the song. After a couple of beers we finished up singing the chorus in the Applejacks' honour. Luckily I didn't get thrown out this time!

I was in the same class at Camp Hill School as Gerry Freeman the
drummer from the Applejacks. Ah, happy days.

Kind regards Dave
So was I, which means I was in the same class as Dave89. I've known that for quite a while. Dave.

Al Jackson worked for the Prudential, eventually becoming a trainer. I also worked for the Pru and attended one of his courses at the Pru's regional office opposite St Phillips Cathedral in the early eighties. He was a great trainer and quite a character. I also worked with Gerry Freeman's brother Colin at the Pru's Solihull office during the late 80's early 90's.

I've just come across this thread having recently joined the history forum. When I was about 16, I was thrown out of The Stone in Northfield by Al Jackson for being under age, so I think I'm right in saying that he was managing the pub then. As a boy I'd bought "Tell me When," so I felt a little aggrieved at his lack of hospitality. Somewhere in the deep piles of memorabilia scattered throughout my dwelling, I've probably still got the 45. Having lived in France for thirty years, when I turned 60 I did the standard pilgrimage to all the places of my childhood/youth, including The Stone and got talking to a regular who remembered Al Jackson and the song. After a couple of beers we finished up singing the chorus in the Applejacks' honour. Luckily I didn't get thrown out this time!
The Stone was my first local when I started drinking in the mid 1960's. In those days there was a 'Gents Only Smoke Room'. It was what used to be called a 'Spit and Sawdust' pub, frequented by a few teenagers like myself, and a load of old codgers. There were virtually no customers between the ages of 20 to 60. It went downhill when the landlord had the bright idea to install a jukebox and a carpet! It soon became a haunt of the beautiful thirty-somethings.

Back