• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Apple Tart Shop Greenway Street

longwayhome

proper brummie kid
Stockton's in Greenway Street was known as the Apple Tart Shop and I used to get sent there as a nipper by my Gran Lizzie Humphries, who kept a shop a few doors up, to get Bread Pudding. Here is a picture of her with Don Stockton. Thanks to Mary M. Donoghue's wonderful book Smells of Childhood for reminding me of this. Don Stockton and Lizzie Humphries.jpgGerald Humphries

Stockton's shop moved down to the Broadway in the 70's I believe, the shop there still bears the name but I don't think the family own it anymore. Meat pies from Stockton's were a treat !

I remember your Grandmothers shop, there was a barbers shop close by as well. my Aunt and Uncle lived up the entry by Stocton's

Nick

Hi Nick. Yes there was a Barbers' shop. It had been there a long time and my Dad was a lather boy there as a lad! The 'shop' was an 'open all hours' and I don't think Gran and GDad ever took a holiday in 30 years. GDad even used to open on Christmas morning! I still have some things from the 'shop' - the cash tin he used for the takings, the bill spike and all the accounts he carefully kept (two versions - one for himself and one for the taxman). I have just re-read Mary M Donaghue's 'Smells of Childhood' again - it always brings tears to my eyes.
Best regards - Gerald Humphries.

Williams Electric WILLIAMS.jpglaundry.jpgLaundry - this was just up from Stockton's Apple Tart Shop. Here is my Great Grandma Mary Ann McNab (Sambrook) who was Manager there when this picture was taken. My dear sister in New Zealand has the name plate of the laundry.

Sorry but I'm not sure whether Mary's book is still available. I do a bit of delving and see what I can find out.

Back