• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Appeal for info re the Towers Pub, Great Barr in the 70's

avfc1310

Brummie babby
An Old Birmingham Pub Information Appeal
Good Afternoon,

I send this appeal with hope of anyone knowing anything that could help me.

My granddad (Arthur Grainger) now in his late 80's ran a pub in Birmingham called the Towers, Great Barr, hopefully someone may know it.

Whilst rooting through some scrap books of mine I found a photo from a charity football match which is estimated to have been played in around 1971 or 72. This photo is clearly a pub team as he ran the pub from the late 60's through to roughly 1978.

My problem is this, I can only name 3 of the players, my Grandad - Arthur Grainger, my dad who was only young at the time 16 i think - also called Arthur but known as "Arch" and I happen to know that Tony Iommi from the band Black Sabbath features in there somewhere.

I was hoping anyone might know anything about this match, or even the time my grandad was at the pub. If anyone has a photo he might be in which I could copy or any lead I could follow to try and get more info I would be most grateful, wanted to surprise him with a little trip down memory lane.

I know my plea is weak, but I thought, where better to start?

Thanks Guys

Sam

hello sam and welcome....would it be possible for you to post the photo for us to see as some of our members maybe able to name some of the other members of the team..

lyn

I think I have attached the image to this post, I am using a mac and the usual image insert button didn't work. So I hope you can view it, My grandad (Arthur) is back row far right and my dad (arch) is front row in the middle.

I will greatly appreciate any help.

Attachments

• IMG_1687.jpg
    IMG_1687.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 89
let me know if you can't make the picture bigger and I will try to attach again.

Thanks again
Hi Sam - Photo is almost full screen if you click then click again. You have scanned it bang on and it is full of detail.

let me know if you can't make the picture bigger and I will try to attach again.

Thanks again
Hi - Photo is almost full screen if you click then click again. You have scanned it bang on and it is full of detail.

Correction it IS full screen by clicking once more.

Brilliant!

It would be great to learn more about anyone in the photo, the match or hear any stories from the pub when my grandad was there. But even if I cant I actually just love the photo, looks like they had a good game!

Thanks in advance for any help!

thats a cracking photo sam...fingers crossed that someone on here may recognise either themselves or any of the players..
oh just one last thing i wonder if this photo is hanging up in the towers pub...

all the best

lyn

Here are 2 pictures that were posted by Phil on another thread a while back. The old and the new.

Attachments

• The Towers .jpg
    The Towers .jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Perry Barr Walsall Rd Towers.jpg
    Perry Barr Walsall Rd Towers.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 32
Hello all, If this helps anyone, I do now know that the man stood far left on the back row is Bob Sturdy, he was a policeman who was affectionately known as "the midnight cowboy" also the bearded man standing in the back row third in from the left was simply known as "Big Albert" and apparently at half time he threw the referee in the river! Ref's have always had a tough job!

I hope anyone recognises these names, or drank in the pub at the time and recognises any faces.

Thanks again

Would it be possible for me to copy the photo and share it with two of Pete's brothers as they used to play league football at that time in Perry Hall Park some Sundays?. There team was Lion Rangers and were based at the Holte Pub.:strawberry: Jean.

Yes share it around see if anyone knows them, there is a post about the towers on this website and people have come forward and confirmed they drank in there through the early 70's, however that post is nearly 4 years old :( Someone must have been in there and recognise someone. Please do share it and see what we can find out!

I know the match was a charity game, rather than a league game, but anyone in the football scene around that time might of heard of the game or seen any of the guys play/recognise them.

Let me know

I think Big Albert is Albert Chapman who was Black Sabbath's first roadie, he went on to run The Elbow Room for many,many years. Moss

Hi Sam, I can confirm that it is Bob Sturdy. Bob was in the 'C' Division (Police) team that I played in for many years. I have looked at the rest but cannot name any more. I Used the pup from time to time and knew your dad. Regards George.

Thank you mossg and George1468, This is great, so far in the line up I have:
Back Row: Left to right: Bob Sturdy, unknown, Albert Chapman, Unknown, unknown, Arthur Grainger
Front Row: unknown, unknown, Arch Grainger, Geezer Butler (possible), Bill Ward (possible)

The last two are only a suspicion as my dad was certain they were black sabbath members, but neither are the original guess of Tony Iommi.

Thank you for all help so far, if anyone can help me identify anyone else from the photo I would be really grateful.

Thank you

Back