• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Apollo Cinema Erdington

Brenda

master brummie
Anyone remember the Apollo cinema which was just over the road from the Norton pub? I went to see Rock Around The Clock there which starred Bill Hayley, plus other films that I can't remember. It was demolished to make way for the block of shops.

Hello Brenda I think the Apollo used to be here. Dek

Attachments

• tyburn rd.JPG
    tyburn rd.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 16
Yes that is where the Apollo was. You would have been standing on the Norton carpark.

Last edited:
img371.jpg

Fantastic photo's of Tyburn Road, sadly hardly recognisable.

Lovely photograph of the Apollo. I left B'ham in '67, but then and now refer to that area of shops as "the Apollo". By the way, the bus will be a 66 or possibly a 66J. I used to catch it home twice a day, dinner time and home time, after school. Oh the joy of running along as it left the stop and leaping onto the platform -"Just made it!" gasping for breath and giving the conductor the fare, "penny child's please"

Re the Apollo, I recall reading an article, probably in the 1970's, in a Sunday magazine about the Apollo. Apparantly the projectionist managed to save a few items from the Cinema before it was demolished. A few seats, curtains, bill boards, posters, that sort of thing. He re-erected them in his garden shed and made it in to a mini picture house. At weekends he would put on a film show for his friends. He lived in Erdington somewhere. I wonder what happened to him and his Picture Shed?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a good job Richie posted the atricle with the map, for the life of me I could not work out where it was.

big gee, schweppes works was just over the canel bridge on the right hand side, by the drome cafe on kingsbury road, right opposite the cincinattie. that was back in 1976, when i worked at the cincinattie. i think that dupont then took over the scheppes works, hope this helps, sidwho

Hi Sidwho,

For some reason my original post's disappeared! I know where Schweppes was all right - I spent 3 rotten months working there! I was pretty sure it was no longer Schweppes, though.

Thanks!

G

I remember going to the Apollo to watch the film of the coronation.I was a puoil at Gunter Road school at the time.Although I lived in Shard End I was picked up by coach and taken to school

Back