• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Anyone remember Steptoes

N

New Romantic Gal

Does anyone remember this Club...some time in the 1980's?? It had been La Dolce Vita....Pagoda Park but inbetween these names the place was called Steptoes....full of junk and second-hand goods to look like Steptoes Yard...I assume.
Hope someone can help cos I cannot find anyone who is familiar with the place and yet I know it existed!:)

I definitely remember Steptoes. We had some great nites in there. Loads of drink promotions and I also celebrated my 18th birthday there. Can't remember what it changed into next, but did go to Pagoda Park, McCluskeys.
Angie

Steptoes was it's name after it was called Romeo and Juliets. La Dolce Vita was the name before that. It was a somewhat seedy little dump, which is how the regulars appeared to like it.

Steppers was basically the same crowd as R&J s. I got dragged along there a few times around the time of leaving school in 1983. It then became Pagoda Park and was aimed at the plastic, soulless 1980s mainstream trendy crowd. By that time the New Romantic thing had had it's day and moved on to something else.

The building is empty again now, I believe. Has been for a while.

My time was La Dolce Vita which I loved it was a caberet club and served meals. I have a photo somewhere of us in there. I will dig it out:)

Yes, I remember Steptoes well. It was one of my favourite nightclubs. It was one of a triangle of clubs off the underpass along with The Powerhouse and The Millionaire. I first went there in January '84. There was one main multi-level room with street-lamps and various old junk such as typewriters and old sofas about the place. It had a bit of a vibe of faded decadence which was great for posing in in the last months of new romanticism.

Downstairs was a much smaller disco for hardcore 'weirdos'. And boy were they weird, you saw very individualistic people wearing things like Dracula capes and horns stuck to their heads and white 'clown' make up. It was a lot more interesting than the goth scene of a few years later when a Cure t-shirt, black spiky hair and a bit of eye liner was what passed for alternative.

Hey New Romantic Gal, maybe we 'got off' with each other one inebriated midnight at Steptoes?:) I was a bit of a Nick Rhodes lookalike and shamelessly played up to it to help me pull.:D

• Appreciate
Reactions: ade
Does anyone remember this Club...some time in the 1980's?? It had been La Dolce Vita....Pagoda Park but inbetween these names the place was called Steptoes....full of junk and second-hand goods to look like Steptoes Yard...I assume.
Hope someone can help cos I cannot find anyone who is familiar with the place and yet I know it existed!:)
Corner of hurst st and smallbrook ringway.. it was first called La Dolce Vita..oppisite Larcarno..
It changes names to Steptoes..Romeo and Juliets.. (im not sure about Pulse).. im sure a couple more names...

Back