• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jones Gladys & George shop & licensed premises

RobT

Acemeccanoman
This one has been on Facebook but let's see if we can beat them to it.
Can anyone identify where this business was located please?.
It looks like a converted house, or even two houses.
This is a photo of a ladies late grandparents former home circa 1955.
The ladies nan ( Gladys May Jones) ran the childrens clothes shop and her grandad (George Ernest Jones) ran the off license.
She remembers the garden, which had a large barn.
They ran various businesses in the Birmingham/Redditch area. But she has no idea where this one is located.
unknown.jpg
It's been suggested it's on the Soho Road, Handsworth close by the junction with Holyhead road. Right hand side towards West Brom.
It says Highgate Ales on the building
Anyone know where this is?

no idea so far rob...looks like its only one house as there is only one front door..nice little mystery though...thanks

lyn

The 1955 Kellys does not list a George Ernest jones . However it does list a George Jones, beer retailer at 69 cotterll's lane. The present building, now a surgery , does look similar, though with many alterations

This one has been on Facebook but let's see if we can beat them to it.
Can anyone identify where this business was located please?.
It looks like a converted house, or even two houses.
This is a photo of a ladies late grandparents former home circa 1955.
The ladies nan ( Gladys May Jones) ran the childrens clothes shop and her grandad (George Ernest Jones) ran the off license.
She remembers the garden, which had a large barn.
They ran various businesses in the Birmingham/Redditch area. But she has no idea where this one is located.
View attachment 144455
It's been suggested it's on the Soho Road, Handsworth close by the junction with Holyhead road. Right hand side towards West Brom.
It says Highgate Ales on the building
Anyone know where this is?
I thought it was The Ring O’Bells in Church Road, Yardley, at first, but they are slightly different.

The 1955 Kellys does not list a George Ernest jones . However it does list a George Jones, beer retailer at 69 cotterll's lane. The present building, now a surgery , does look similar, though with many alterations

But Mike the Surgery is numbered 75 and 77 !

This is I think a 1950s map
cotterills lane 1950s map2.JPG

Last edited:
Looking behind the building there appears to be a house on higher ground ... not much help !

I've looked at an aerial photo (date c1926) of Soho Rd/Holyhead area and can see a white building with similar window layout and chimneys but it is not terrace or joined to another building. Although some buildings nearby still exist, the buildings I wanted to see on GE have been demolished.

There was an Highgate brewery in Walsall.

i wouldnt say the photo on post 1 and 4 are the same.. if they are the building on post 1 has moved about 10ft forward to be on the pavement:D

This is I think a 1950s map
View attachment 144468
Looking at the images attached it appears that the surgery could be the house originally next to the unknown building.
It looks as though the bay windows have been replaced but the lintel above the new window appears to show signs that it was originally a bay window.
I don't know how that relates to property numbers but would mean the unknown property has been demolished, the property 'Midlands Motors' on the google map also has similar features. I think that the gap between the surgery and Midlands Motors would be where the unknown building was.

Attachments

• unknown building.jpg
    unknown building.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 37
I must admit I put 69 into google and immediately saw this building. Being not at my brightest this morning I did not check the numbers. however the building is similar and Brummylad may have the answer

I must admit I put 69 into google and immediately saw this building. Being not at my brightest this morning I did not check the numbers. however the building is similar and Brummylad may have the answer
But the 1950's map should show the building
I have asked the lady who is looking for the information, if Cotterills Lane rings any bells with her.

But the 1950's map should show the building
I have asked the lady who is looking for the information, if Cotterills Lane rings any bells with her.
It looks as though there is a building on the 1951-52 map that has disappeared by 1956 so this could work.
I don't understand the numbering though unless the landlord lived at 69 (now Midlands Tyres) and not at the off license itself. Perhaps Mike could throw some light on this aspect.

Attachments

• 1951-56 maps.jpg
    1951-56 maps.jpg
    826.1 KB · Views: 12
Kellys states 69 is a beer retailer, which means that the retail shop is no 69, wherever he lives. However, from the map, the building that has disappeared seems to be flush with the curve and sticking out from no 69. In the photo the building seems to be flush with the pub

Kellys states 69 is a beer retailer, which means that the retail shop is no 69, wherever he lives. However, from the map, the building that has disappeared seems to be flush with the curve and sticking out from no 69. In the photo the building seems to be flush with the pub
I thought it was also flush but on closer inspection I think it's an optical illusion due to the low wall between them.
The guttering on the left hand building seems to disappear rather than stand out which perhaps suggests that it could be set back from the pub.
This would also account for the width between the window on the surgery and the end of the building, I couldn't understand why it appears much wider than as shown on the original image. It's because some of it is hidden on the original, hope that makes sense it's difficult to explain.

Yes I agree, the building to the left is set back from the pub. But, I am wondering if we are at cross purposes. I was thinking if the photo shows no 69, then the building on the left would be the building (unnumbered on the map but presumably 71,73) which is flush with the road

On Google maps Midlands Motors has a number 69 on the door, it's business address is 69A Cotterills Lane.
Midlands Motors' building does not seem to fit into the scenario of being the pub i.e. windows and door not correct.
There must be something we're missing somewhere.
Perhaps No. 69 was annexed to the pub hence that is the address given for the beer retailer. Could the pub itself be 71 to 73 perhaps?

I do not think it is a pub....I think its an outdoor the entrance door is on the side of the building , the front door belongs again I think to the shop next door which looks to me as drapers, same family running both business's ( is that spelt right )....I have checked the 1939 register but could not find a George Jones Beer Retailer ....well I did but 10 Gosta Green

im a tad confused :rolleyes: ..are we agreed that the photo on post 1 and the photo on post 4 are not the same building..

lyn

im a tad confused :rolleyes: ..are we agreed that the photo on post 1 and the photo on post 4 are not the same building..

lyn
They are NOT the same building, in post 4, I just said they are very similar.
I think we are looking at something like

cotterillsplus.jpg

There is a interesting photo showing No.79, has a plaque on the wall saying "Oakfield Place 1877", similiar brick to some of the other buildings including the other side of No. 69.79 Cotterills Lane.jpg

Last edited:
Am not sure if that fits, especially as no 69 is the beer retailer (very possibly an off-license) and that is not 69 according to the numbering on the map. The reason that George Jones was not on the register in 1939 is that, at that time the business was run by Frank Foster. This is from the Kellys for 1939 & 1940. It is confirmed by the electoral roll for 1939. The electoral rolls list George there for 1950 , 1952 & 1955. In these there is also no numbers 71 & 73 listed on the street which would agree with the space shown on the map between 69 & 75, though is not conclusive.

The building in post#1 has unusual window and door lintels and they rarely alter them even when fitting uPVC windows, assuming the building still exists although modernised. I use lintel identification a lot when I make 'then and now' photos.

It is clear that the building is not the Duke of Wellington pub. A road on the left, and other missing features.
DofWpub.jpg

Post#1 mentions Soho Rd/Holyhead Rd area .... did this information come from the family? ... or was it a suggestion from someone on Facebook?

Unless a district is suggested it will be difficult to locate. See the search for the 'Great Barr Cottage thread' ... at least we knew it was in Great Barr, but it took a long time.
:)

Last edited:
Back