• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Anyone recognise these from Cheapside/Moseley Street area

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do either of these buildings, or the alleyway, ring a bell with anyone. Taken 1972-3, they were all almost certainly in the Cheapside or Moseley Street area. Even on maximum resolution it is unfortunately impossible to identify the name on the very old sign on the third building.
Mike

E-mail_32.jpg

E-mail_35.jpg

E-mail_36_.jpg

Mike

I think you can discount, Bradford St, Cheapside, and Moseley St, because they are on a hill. Which leaves Bishop St, Baford St, Rea St, Birchall St/Charles Henry St, Alcester St and Lombard St.

I think you can rule out Alcester St because there is no sign of the Catholic Church, Rowton House or Park.

In the third photo, there looks like there is a block of flats at the end of the road. If we assume that they are the tower blocks that replaced St Martins flats if that is the case we can rule out Bishop St, Barford St and Rea St out because I think they are too far west to spot from this point on the photo.

I would go for Birchall St or its continuation Charles Henry St, as I don't think its Lombard St.

Phil

Thanks Phil. trouble is they are a bit nondescript. Still, someone might recognise one of them . I thought the peculiar ventillation on the roof of the second might be distinctive, almost like a maltings, but rather small.
mike

hi again, i think its [charles hofton & sons] factory in conybere st , its still there. regards.....christy..

Hi guys,
Last year I was searching for Withers in Cheapside. Somebody posted an image of, I think, Cheapside to Deritend (perhaps with a tram, but I'm not now certain). In that photo was a two story building wit a clear sign on the top wall saying "Withers Tobacconist" with an arrow pointing down.
Thought I had saved the image, but apparently not so.
Cheers

Back