• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Anyone live in Clifton Road

S

shannon

Anybody here that lived in clifton road between 1945 and 1960, I need yo help.

Clifton Road

Shannon............most of my father in laws family lived in Clifton Road.
What sort of help are you after.....feel free to email me if you prefer :)

Yes I lived in Clifton Road about 1950/54. We lived a 2/232 in two up, two down back to back.   :2funny: I have such fond memories of my short time there.My mom & dad were Ivy and Jim Tibbles. My grandparents also lived in Clifton Road, lower down towards Upper Thomas street. They were Frank and Florence Tibbles. They had three boys. Frank,Jim and Thomas. Jim and Thomas are still going strong.

Would love to here anyone out there who lived in Clifton Road! :flower:

Hi, clive, did you OR the three boys goto UPPER THOMAS ST SCHOOL, as the name Tibbles rings bells. I was there from 1947/57 .I lived in TOWER ROAD NEXT TO THE MISSION HALL. Mom & Dads NAMES were Bill & Doris Jenney.Iam Keith & my brothers David.
MRS JACKSONS FISH & CHIP SHOP WAS MY MAIN MEMORY OF CLIFFTON RD. :smitten: O & A GIRL CALLED LILY PRESTON my first encounter with the opposite sex. :-[ :angel:
RING ANY BELLS
ASTON

Hi Shannon

I lived in Clifton Rd from 1953 through to 1971, number 12, which was the end closest to Park Road.

My grandmother kept an outdoor at number 100 Clifton Road and my aunt lived next door to my grandmother at number 98.

My maiden name was Preston.

Regards

Fay

Hello ? Jenny. Firstly I must explain my name is not Clive, but Pat(patricia) this darnded computer would not accept my name as a user name!! :-[ Not sure why not - but there you go! Anyhow, Yes in answer to your question they did go to Upper Thomas St School about 1925/30 as did myself in 1952/55. I remember standing against the HP Factory wall in the winter to keep warm. My father (Jim) I'm sure has mentioned the fish shop. He has no access to a computer so I will print this off. Keep on coming with the memories :-*

:angel: Pat do you by any chance remember a boy by the name of Robert Crosbee (Bobby), he was always on roller skates and was what we called 'Fat' back then, but not PC now. He is my cousin and he lived in Tower Rd almost on the corner of either Upper Thomas St or Upper Sutton St (I think is was the latter though). He attended Upper Thomas St. His family lived in the area from the 1930's till 1962 ish his elder sister Sheila was an invalid and in later years had the first three wheeled invalid's car in Brum.

Pom :angel:

Hi all
I lived down the terrace between the outdoor off licence and Jacksons fish shop from 1922 to 1949. I then moved after getting married. Myslef and my two brothers(Frank and Jim) all attended Upper Thomas Street school. I also have many happy memories of Ellen Knox mission hall in Tower road as a member of the boys brigade, both as a boy and later as an officer and captain untill i left Birmingham to work in Shropshire in 1968.
I would love to hear from any ex members of the BP or anyone who may remember me or my family
regards
Tom

Tom, I lived next to Ellen Knox Mission Hall at 173, My Mom was caretaker for the annex of Upper Thomas St which was on the ground floor in what was the old British Restaurant.
I spent about 3 weeks in the BB but could not march to save my life, used to hate Church Parade. Do you remember a John Lemon he was the guy who introduced me to the BB, we were at Upper Thomas St together in the 50s,
he lived in the top part of Tower Rd the other side of Upper Sutton St.
Remember Mes Jackson very well we used to getfree helping of all the scratchings & batter ( & some time may be a small bit of fish) that she racked of the top of the fat.
I bet you remember the outdoor in Tower Rd run by Mrs Rudge or ever the news agent over the road from the mission Mrs Jabbot?
Your surname rings a bell I seem to remember My MOM mentioning a Mrs Tibbles. Did you know any of the Jenney's,Lamb's or Matthews's all living in either Tower Rd ,Upper Thomas St or Park Lane.
Keep your memories coming Tom you will find some one one this site will have had contact with your family. O0
Best Regards ASTON(Keith)

My mom's friends were Lily and Gilbert New who lived in Clifton Rd. in the 60's for sure.
They had 2 sons, Paul and Reuben.

Does anyone out there have any pictures of Clifton Road? I'v love to see them. Going towards Potter Hill was general grocers, proprietors were Mr & Mrs Brown that would have been in the 50's anyone know what happened to them? House number 232

Pat

We kept the Bakers in Upper Sutton St (No 19) and Roy Crosbee lived a few doors below us. I can remember his dad coming home from the War in 1946. He had a sister too.

Does anyone out there have any pictures of Clifton Road? I'v love to see them. Going towards Potter Hill was general grocers, proprietors were Mr & Mrs Brown that would have been in the 50's anyone know what happened to them? House number 232

Pat

Only a photo that I've posted before of Clifton Road School, that I attended in the early 50's.

Graham.

Graham,can you tell me the school in cliffton rd where would that be as I have racked my grey cells but cannot recall it?.

To the Baron,

This is Clifton (Road) School in Balsall Heath, not Aston. There was no school in CR Aston, so your memory is OK. This school, at which I taught in the seventies is now part of the St Paul's Association. The new CS buildings are ust around the corner.

Thanks, for that, I thought it was anoth SENIOR MOMENT & the grey cell had go once more.
Now I know where we are it helps.

Would also welcome any photo's of Clifton Road Balsall Heath, also any tales pre war.

My GGparents had a boot makers and repair shop 161, (Thomas Johnstone).and lived at 130 (as did my Grandfather and Mother)

Thomas Johnstone was a big man with a leather apron and a sharp knife. He was called on to cut down any one who had hanged themselves in the vincity. Apparently a not unheaard of event.

(There is another thread on Clifton Road Balsall Heath on the forum)

RobertS

I can't find a thread dedicated to Clifton Rd Balsall Heath. If you want to start one I'll upload you some photo's.

Phil

Thanks PMC1947 for the offer of posted photo's.

My mistake. The Clifton Road post is in 'Balsall Heath' (I slotted in a residents list #126. Its as my mother remembered in the mid 1920's so well before most of the recent conversations.)

Will start one as suggested.

Anyone who lived in Clifton Road from 1948 - 49? Did you know my great grandmother Dawkins who lived in number 9? Apparently this was oposite the cinema i think.

Thanks Sam

HI SAMW
Which CLIFTON Road Are You Refereing To , The One In Aston , Or Spark hill ,
Or Some-where Else I Myself Don,t Recall A Picture House In Clifton Rd Aston Going
Back To The Mid 40,S And Fifties , I Am Very Intrigue To Find Out ,
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;

Hi Astonian

I think it was is Balsall Heath. I am not sure if there was a cinema oposite its just something one of the guys on here said.

Thanks Sam

Hi samw
i thought you meant the one in balsall heath and not aston
yes there was a clifton picture house in balsall heath i do rememember that one from many years ago i only went there with my uncle once only
we did not like it there best wishes astonion .;;;;;;

Sam

I think this possibly will be the only chance you have of catching a glimpse of your g-grandmothers house. If you look to the right of this photo you will just see some houses on the edge of the photo.

One of these has a very great chance of being her house. they are in the right position.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Imperial.jpg
    Balsall Heath Imperial.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 23
Hi Phil

they look like terraced houses from that photo.

If you dont mind I will send that photo to my great aunt and see if she remembers this.

Thanks Sam

Sam

If memory serves. they were all terraced houses in Clifton rd, You didn't get many semi's and detached houses in Balsall Heath until you reached the outskirts and touched on the posh areas like Moseley & Edgbaston.

Phil

It wasn't the worst by a long shot, it was actually quite nice compared to some places. It was only in the late 50's and 60's that it started to become run down.

Phil

Sam

I found a much better and later version of that photo. You can get a much better view of the houses.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath  Imperial Moseley Rd.jpg
    Balsall Heath Imperial Moseley Rd.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Enlarged copy.jpg
    Enlarged copy.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 28
Back