• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Anyone know this one?

Jean - it's basically the same as ''the whole nine-yards'' ......... 'dressed to the nines' originally meant a full suit of clothes; which took approx' nine yards of material. A sign of affluence etc.

I guess we would have been called dressed up to the three's second hand. Thanks John for that. Jean.

A couple I can throw in: "the back of beyond" and "face like fourpence" !!! Don't know where these came from but my mum used them a lot. Viv.

I can remember my mom saying of someone, If his brains were made of dynamite, he wouldnt have enough to blow his cap off.

For some reason I remember "Pig in a Poke" but have no idea what it means and when it was used. A wild guess is maybe it's someting to do with a small place ? Viv.

A poke is a sack or bag. Used in the context'do not buy a pig in a poke',It means don't buy anything without seeing it first.

I don,t know if this was made up when i was a kid or not... Gob a rock face ... Or if you weren,t bothered ..i couldn,t care a kippers dick. My mom used to say the both.

another one i use is i couldnt give a monkeys uncle as well as your saying there i couldnt care a kippers dick showing not to be bothered god only knows where these strange sayings originate from

Lloyd I often wondered if Gracie was related to Lisa Stansfield as she too had a great voice and was born in Rochdale. I remember it as fanny Fanackerpan if you were all 'dolled up'.

Lloyd I often wondered if Gracie was related to Lisa Stansfield as she too had a great voice and was born in Rochdale. I remember it as fanny Fanackerpan if you were all 'dolled up'.

According to the "Rockin Rochdale" website (!)
"Lisa Stansfield - True of False? Lisa is related to Gracie Fields whose real name was Grace Stansfield. False. Lisa and Gracie are not related, but Lisa does own a studio called "Gracielands".

hi guys
when i was a little whipper snapper growing up and when i used to asked my mother
where is dad ; her replie was gone to meet fanny by gas light; and then she used to say in the next breath
down the pub ; with is fluesies [ the golden cross ] they are right old brarmers ;
and then its her down the out door on rocky lane ;
have a nice day every body best wishes astonion ;;

Any obnoxious person my dad would call a varmant or varment. Can anyone spell it correctly please. Jean.

Any obnoxious person my dad would call a varmant or varment. Can anyone spell it correctly please. Jean.

There you are Jean

609F6-varment.jpg
varment - any usually predatory wild animal considered undesirable; e.g., coyotevarmint
animal, animate being, beast, creature, fauna, brute - a living organism characterized by voluntary movement

Jean i don,t remember varment but varlet is an old english word meaning knave. Dek Just seen Alfs post thanks Alf

Back