• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Anyone know location ???

Hi Den

If that is a beach your great grandparents were on, then I would definitely agree with Derek and say somewhere on the South Coast near Brighton. There again was your great grandmother Welsh because that looks like a traditional Welsh hat she is wearing, but I don't know any gravel beaches in Wales.

Phil

Hi there
i m not to sure about the see side resort it could be around the barmouth are around st athons around the coast line
and the house is aston church rd nechells

The beach looks too steep for brighton, and no bildings behind it doe's look a little like a beach in norfolk.
paul

There are several small shingle beaches in Mid Wales ours is stoney 'Pengarreg' Borth is mixed and Ynyslas is sandy. We don't know where it is really and remember coastal beaches have altered dramatically. Even if it is a Welsh outfit they could be away elsewhere. Very difficult the door they are in front of could have been in Nechells.

Re: Anyone know this location ???

I agree with Paul. Below is a photo of a beach in Suffolk; although very similar, I can see it isn't the same beach. The large photo was taken to the north of the pier in Southwold. Because of their similarity, the two beaches could be in the same area, i.e., East Anglia.

hegginton_.jpg
England_Christmas_2008_410.jpg

Last edited:
hi den
first of all i would like to opologise for goinmg off track on this thread but it comes to my mind that particular pictures did at one time
appear in the sunday mercury many years ago arond in the early sixties and there was a story line connected to those people
which i am certain was to do with them and nechells and more so aston church rd
but for love nor money i just cannot recall what the topic was about but there is no doubt in my mind they appeared in the sunday mercury
i just had to say i was going to say the other day best wishes astonion

I think the Welsh lead may be wrong.The lady's hat is the wrong shape. The photo on the beach appears to show a spire or tower and low buildings in the far distance. Sorry I haven't a clue

hi Astonian
no need to opologise the thread has created a bit of interest - they are dressed up for something special. gt.grand pop died in nechells in 1924 so the photo would have been taken early 1920's
thanks all for your ideas.
sorry to hear that your snowed in a bit
happy xmas / new year

Westward Ho ?

There is, or was a stoney bit at one end of the beach with a steep bank and a roughly similar building ( Pub ??) I think. Been a long long time since I was there though.

the real answer is lying with in the story of the sunday merury the same couple and the same story and the same locacation
and the two photographs if you had any spare time to do any swatting you would get your answer
still its keeping members to work there brains on this one it will be intresting whom is coming up first with the correct answer
i cannot say an excact date but in the seventys it was published
happy new year to you all best wishes astonion

Back