• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Queens Head Steelhouse Lane

K

karenmurphy

Hi
Has anyone got (or know where I could find) an old photo of the Queens Head pub in Steelhouse Lane?
I know that it still exists today, and in fact can find loads of modern photos of the pub, but have had no joy so far in finding an old one.
One of my ancestors worked there in 1901 and I would like to see what it looked like during this period.

thanks Karen

Hi Karen

Is this what you are looking for? I'm afraid its not a very good photo.

Phil

Attachments

• City Steelhouse Lane Queens Head.jpg
    City Steelhouse Lane Queens Head.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 68
Are any of the regulars from The Queens Head, Steelhouse Lane here? Remember the lock ins and the juke box. What is it like now? I know many of the staff from around the law courts and the general hospital were regulars there. My dad was one of the regulars in the 60's 70's and 80's till the night it closed down. Anyone remember the story of the woman buried in the wall?

It's been the Jekyll & Hyde for at least a decade. I've never been inside, but have passed it hundreds of times over the years!

It was purple in 2010. But is now painted blue.

Used the Queens before going to the Tower Ballroom most Saturday nights late sixties, seem to remember how small it was as we never left the bar.

that was the photo i was looking for so thanks viv....very sinister looking passageway to the left of the pub

lyn

Yep...rebuilt a few times! This is an old map of the Queen's Head next door to the old Ebenezer Chapel.....and some info from Web.....The map is from Mikejee....

Queens Head map copy.jpg

The ill-conceived Inner Ring Road of the 1960s tore through the old Gun Quarter. To make sense, the Quarter is treated as a whole entity. Steelhouse Lane, the southern boundary of the Quarter, took its name from Kettle's Steelhouses, erected here in the late seventeenth century.
Where once there were a dozen or more pubs, the Queen's Head is the only survivor in the street. It is the third house to bear this name. The first was popularly known as the Stamp, from the pub's sign above the doorway, depicting Queen Victoria's portrait from the Penny Black stamp. The house was built in the early eighteenth century, but did not become a pub until c.1840. The pub was demolished in 1884 as part of the Improvement Scheme for the cutting of Corporation Street. The second of the three public houses of the same name was a narrowfronted four-storey, red brick and terracotta establishment, built to the design of well-known pub architects James & Lister Lea, post January 1889. In the mid-1960s the second Queen's Head was closed down and demolished as part of the Inner Ring Road scheme. The third, and present, Queen's Head, an M&B house, was built in the mid-1960s,following the completion of the Inner Ring Road. It is a favourite lunchtime haunt of those working in the Inns of Court opposite, and journalists and staff of the Post & Mail

....this pic is taken 1946....

Queens Head Steelhouse Lane 1946.jpg

Are any of the regulars from The Queens Head, Steelhouse Lane here? Remember the lock ins and the juke box. What is it like now? I know many of the staff from around the law courts and the general hospital were regulars there. My dad was one of the regulars in the 60's 70's and 80's till the night it closed down. Anyone remember the story of the woman buried in the wall?

What's the story about the woman buried in the wall?

Back