• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Anybody recognise this hospital? 1917

Anybody recognise this hospital

Jean, could the hospital you refer to be St. Margaret's, which I believe at one time was an isolation hospital, then a mental health unit. Can anyone confirm.

Jean, there was one by the Mayfaire picture house College road.
Cat

Smallpox Outbreak

THE ABOVE ISOLATION HOSPITAL WAS LAST USED IN 1955/56/57 WHEN WE LAST HAD AN OUTBREAK OF SMALLPOX. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS.................Cat

Hi,
what hospital is this? I live in bromsgrove and i dont think i have heard of this hospital and its not there now. do you know where it was/is? im very interested to know. I f it is the hospital im thinking of, was it at the top of broad street on the stourbridge road?? If it was then that is where my moms house was built on top of. Lea park rise! please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
The card shows Blackwell Convalescent Home also known as Blackwell Recovery Hospital it's address is shown as Station Road Blackwell, built 1866, closed in the 90's, I believe it has now been demolished.

Colin

Blackwell

Tis indeed Blackwell. In the late 1960's I had a holiday job on the groundstaff at Dudley Road. A blessed relief from planting out wall flowers was going out to cut the grass at Blackwell. Three of us travelled in the back of a Bedford Van with the unsecured open bladed mowing machines.

I remember thinking at the time it was a good job we working for a hospital!

My grandfather passed away of TB in the 1930s and he was taken to West Heath Hospital in his final months, the frontage looks very similar today, just as in the original image.

Thanks GER2VAN,

He did decorative glass work involving cutting and etching. I think the acid and the glass dust killed him, sadly.
Sulphuric acid and Hydroflouric acid were both used for etching. The chemicals are used after glass cutting and create different effects:

Conc. Sulphuric + Conc. Hydrofluoric - used for polishing the cuts made in lead crystal.

Hydrofluoric - creates a matte effect, so high-quality frosted glass is created this way, but it can also be used for etching designs.

Either acid is extremely nasty, whether inhaled or exposed to skin:redface:

Back