• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Parks Policemen Park Keepers

Blacksmith

master brummie
If I've done this correctly, the photo shows my dad, my younger brother and me in 1951.

May I share with you some things about my dad, Parks Policeman (later Sergeant) Smith?

Dad was a sergeant in the parks police and must have been on duty at most of the parks in Birmingham at some time in his career. I can particularly remember Handsworth Park and Cannon Hill Park because of the shows they had there, and Ward End Park

Some of his commendations:

March 1948 - It has been brought to my notice that on the 6th instant you rescued three children who had fallen into the pool at WArd End Park, and that your vigilance and quick action in this matter prevented these children from drowning.

July 1948 - I am in receipt of your report of the 16th instant giving details of your rescue of a small child from the pool in Ward End Park on that date. I am pleased to note that your vigilance has, for the second time in a few weeks, saved a child from drowning.

July 1957 - During the evening of Friday the 12th July 1957, a man was seen to steal a suitcase from a stall in the fairground at Cotteridge Park. This incident was reported by the complainant to Parks Policeman Smith who made immediate enquiries and detained the thief in Breedon Road. He was later handed over to the police and admitted stealing a suitcase.

October 1957 - At their last meeting, the Parks Committee were advised of the excellent manner in which you and other employees of the Department formed an emergency working party at Handsworth Park on the night of 6th September and saved one of the laege marquees used in the Dog Show from being blown down . . . The Committee appreciate that, but for your promptness and keen attention to duty, there might have been serious consequences which would have affected activities at the City of Birmingham Show.

November 1962 - At the last meeting of the Parks Committee I reported the circumstances in which you apprehended a man who had committed the offence of indecent exposure at Aston Park on 27th July last.

I feel that all our parks would benefit from the reintroduction of Parks Policemen because, from this brief narrative, it is clear that they did a good job and that they have not really been replaced.

th_1951-HaroldDaveDoug.jpg

My father - Sergeant Harold Smith of the Parks Police. He died in 1973 and I'm still very proud of him.

Was your Dad very tall?
I remember walking my first son round Ward End park in the early 1960s and would always have a chat with Jack the parky.
My second husband Steve is younger than me and he can remember he and his friends being chased by Jack in the 50s for some childhood misdemeanor LOL.
I agree that parks could do with the reintroduction of Parks police.
There are some parks I would not venture into these days..
If you put Ward End Park into the search I think you will find a post about Jack.

No, Alberta, he was only about 5ft 9ins. There were still park keepers then, as well as parks police so it might have been the keeper. I can, however, remember a parks policeman called Jock who was quite tall, so it may have been him.

I think you are right there are many parks where people won't venture, your dad was a brave man.

Great photograph taken at the main entrance in Burbury Street. For information, the corner shop behind the sign was a barber shop in the 60's which was situated on the corner of Defford Road and Burbury Street. Mabz

Somone once said to me you can take the "parkie" out of the park but you'll never take parks out of the "parkie">

Anyone else here who used to be employed by the "old" Parks Department before Compulsory Competitive Tendering sucked them into oblivion ? Love to hear from some.

My Brother in law worked for the parkes dept initially based at Brookvale road then Pype Hayes. Lived in a Cottage attached to Pype Hayes before moving to Scotland.

Mr Devereaux and Mr Burns were two based at Summerfield Park in the 60s - I walked the family dog round the park most days and went to school with their sons.

Hi malverian,
Nice to see some one from the port of Ladywood like myself on this great forum I myself remember and recall the two parkies in question
Both gentleman was a good duo for summer field park everybody respected these two guys
Mr burns was very popular out of the two thou,he had time for every one a very well respected man
I dare say you could tell me quite area names from the port and I would have known them
Malv, when do you leave the port , best wishes Astonian,,,,,,

My Port ancestors go back to 1867 at least and were all down that end of the road so they must have known quite a few Summerfield Parkies over time. I left the Port in 1971 and my mom and dad about 10 years later. The site of our house is now incorporated in the park. I presume you have seen the photo of George Burns on Mac Joseph's website - https://www.oldladywood.co.uk/ingemar.htm - photo no.22.

Re: Any old Parks staff on here

Somone once said to me you can take the "parkie" out of the park but you'll never take parks out of the "parkie">

Anyone else here who used to be employed by the "old" Parks Department before Compulsory Competitive Tendering sucked them into oblivion ? Love to hear from some.
hi I worked for the parks at Stour St from 73 to 1988 as a carpenter worked at all the parks and show's.. my dad " god bless him" worked at cannon hill in the greenhouses for 40 years I think he retired 20 odd years ( best job ever ) then thay F###ed it up

I must admit that I had some 8 years of employment with Birmingham Parks Dept from 1960 to 1968 working at Aston Park, Salford Park, Handsworth Park and Ward End Park. Years fondly remembered working with, by and large, a great set of blokes. Some years ago
there was a comedy programme called 'Valentine's Park' , which was amazingly close to the truth. I could not have written better myself.

I worked on the Parks Patrol mobile security force in the early 70's, covering Handsworth Park, Perry Park, Perry Hall playing fields, Ward End Park, Aston Park, Pype Hays Park, Brookvale Park, Witton Lakes, Glebe Farm rec, Gressel Lane rec, Short Heath Park, Adderley Park, Mount Street Park and others that I can't remember at the moment.
Our duties were to patrol the parks and cemeteries between 3pm and midnight, but some of the guys were not keen to check out the cemeteries after dark. We drove navy blue mini vans and often drove in the parks after closing with no lights on. One night Larry Durham was doing this in Brookvale Park when he ran into a cast iron bench that someone had pulled across the path. The bench now in three pieces was hastily re-located in the lake. We were not supposed to drive on the grass in the winter due to the ground being soft, but I have been involved in at least 3 instances of helping dig out vans that got bogged down late at night and having to wash them before going back to our base in Perry Barr.

My Dad, Mr Holland, was Park Keeper at Manor Road Recreation Ground from 1952 until 1962. He used to provide hot water for the teams after their school football matches. I used to love helping to mark out the pitches with the white paint!

If it’s the same Peter Purnell, I remember a chap of that name when I worked in the Buying Office of the Parks Department in The Civic Centre, behind the Hall of Memory and gardens.
(My first job straight from school). Peter was then the cost clerk. He went on to become P.A. to the deputy General Manager. If I remember correctly he was a Hockey player.
I also remember the “Theatre in the Round” in Cannon Hill park . The repertory season included two plays ( all I can remember) Dial M for murder and another titled Quadrille
I was lucky enough to sell programmes in the marquee and was paid “overtime”.
Being a council job progress was inevitably ‘Dead mans Shoes. I left the place a year after returning from N.S.

There was also another annual event, The zcity of Birmingham Show. Held at Handsworth Park.

i was a tractor/digger driver at leslie rd in the 70s. delivering and collecting from parks ,and allotments, when they was filming
kings heath park,for tv. also i pulled out old anderson shellters from allotments,much to the horror of the gardeners,who had tools in them.becouse they were rotten with rust. some were in my shed is the p27 key to all park locks. the blue thames .vans and thames lorries, also one like greengrass had but it was blue yes i remember them.

Retirement of Sutton Park park keeper. Some may remember him. Viv.

B8DB7B18-7636-4CAE-BDE1-31EE2878B77B.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• EA1988C1-2941-4C42-A6C7-A07F4C149F43.jpeg
    EA1988C1-2941-4C42-A6C7-A07F4C149F43.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 17
My Grandfather was Charles Beesley (known as Charlie at work but for some reason Gordon in the family!) and a parks policeman. He was based at Manor Farm Park on the Bristol Road and covered the Lickeys as well. He retired around 1971. I would love to hear from anyone who may remember him.
Sassy

I remember when there was a park keeper in Perry Hall park, he used to shout at you if you walked on the grass round the ornamental ponds.

It must have made an impression on me as I still feel a bit guilty if I walk on the grass in local parks!

My father(George Ellis) was a Parkie, probably in the 1960's. I can not remember where he was based, but do recall one night when he did not arrive home at the usual time. He did turn up, raging. :mad: Kids had somehow, managed to lock him in his hut. :D

Steve.

I remember when there was a park keeper in Perry Hall park, he used to shout at you if you walked on the grass round the ornamental ponds.

It must have made an impression on me as I still feel a bit guilty if I walk on the grass in local parks!
I was born in 1958 on the Kingstanding road B44 8AX. My mother used to take me in my pram to Perry Barr and also Perry Hall park as her brother lived in Pendragon road. Perry Hall playing fields in the 50s and 60s were magnificent gardens with a japanese style garden that ran at the side of the stream that exited the moat. There were even goldfish is this stream and ornamental pond. I visited in 2018 prior to the Coronavirus pandemic and was appalled how they had turned to a virtual jungle. A large tree that I clearly remember that was closeby the original brick gates to perry hall had been felled. I can clearly remember the parks patrol sorting out the unrully kids treading on the grass and flower beds !!

Back