• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Any old Brummies moved to the USA?

I married my wife Victoria in Spain in 1975 and moved to Miami Fla shortly after...Vicki is a naturalized American (Born in Cuba) so that's how I got my green card. I joined Goodyear in 1978 in Akron Ohio. moved to Australia for two years in 1983 , then to Tokyo for ten years , then to Singapore for four years followed by Philippines for two year before moving back to Ohio in 2000. And retired I became a US citizen in 2004 We then moved to NC in 2021 tired of moving. Grahame

Emigrated to USA in 1958, living and working mostly in NYC and NJ. Retired in Florida now after 37 years in telecommunications. Had my telco initiation as a youth-in-training with the old Post Office Telephones (now BT) in Brum, (born in Handsworth, raised in Perry Barr). Have been back to the U.K. many times and love each visit more and more. If you have any good politicians over there please send them here where our government can't seem to get out of its own way.
Hope to get over there again next year to visit my younger sister in Truro, Cornwall. I stayed there overnight in 1956 at the YHA as a cyclist during a two-week tour of Devon, Cornwall and Somerset. It rained for the entire 14 days but my friend and I loved it.
Everyone stay well...
Pat Downey
Thanks Pat, I can report that the Tennis Court pub is still going strong! This is impressive as so many English pubs have closed for good. Stokkie/Derek

I married my wife Victoria in Spain in 1975 and moved to Miami Fla shortly after...Vicki is a naturalized American (Born in Cuba) so that's how I got my green card. I joined Goodyear in 1978 in Akron Ohio. moved to Australia for two years in 1983 , then to Tokyo for ten years , then to Singapore for four years followed by Philippines for two year before moving back to Ohio in 2000. And retired I became a US citizen in 2004 We then moved to NC in 2021 tired of moving. Grahame
Thanks Grahame!

Maybe this is a little off topic...and requiring a spank...I don't know. Anyway; not America but a Brummie next door in Canada. Probably Canada is more likely to be a destination for Brit's than the US of A; it being a commonwealth country and has universal healthcare. Not perfect but still a good thing.
My Canadian wife has family in California and we visit the states very infrequently these days.
We can't be anything but dismayed about the political decline that the states are experiencing just now...much worse than Brexit it seems to me. It will affect the world and we are just north of it.
We badly need responsible politicians and voters.
Very appropriate comment for July 4th!

Not an 'old Brummie' but my daughter born in Brum in 1956 served in Berlin in the RAF then when she came home joined GCHQ, posted all over the world but finished up posted to the NSA in Washington and Baltimore and settled down there, she later became a realtor and is still selling expensive homes around the Maryland/Chesapeake area.

Not sure this is the place to say this, please move if not appropriate: I have just reread most of this thread (thank you Derek). When I was growing up in Handsworth everything was about cars, motorcycles, bicycles trucks etc., most of which I never had. I was a technical apprentice at Brooke Tool Automation and left for the US. Most of my career was with cars, trucks or component that made them go. Reading the Forum about Lucas, Wilmont Breeden, Austin, Rover, Wolsey, BSA, Norton, Ariel, Triumph, Standard etc etc, they are all gone, why? It is not why I left but when I read about those companies and many more it is saddening. That is where it all started, but could not be sustained!
Thank you!

A problem for ex pats living in Canada is that if you are receiving a British pension, it is NOT indexed to the cost of living. I have a small pension of 25 quid a week that I have been receiving since I turned 65 in 2005. It still remains the same to this day...the weird thing is that if I lived in the US, my pension would be indexed the same as if I lived in the UK. I believe the same goes for ex pats in OZ, no indexed pension.
Dave A

A problem for ex pats living in Canada is that if you are receiving a British pension, it is NOT indexed to the cost of living. I have a small pension of 25 quid a week that I have been receiving since I turned 65 in 2005. It still remains the same to this day...the weird thing is that if I lived in the US, my pension would be indexed the same as if I lived in the UK. I believe the same goes for ex pats in OZ, no indexed pension.
Dave A
Dave, how old were you when you left the UK? I was 19 and have never thought about that!

Dave, how old were you when you left the UK? I was 19 and have never thought about that!
I was 26...I believe the pension requirements are based on the number of days you paid 'stamps'. On one of my many trips to the UK, I went to the local taxation office to check on my eligibility and they estimated my weekly income would be about 25 pounds. They did not indicate it would be a lifelong amount. I do get regular correspondence to check if I am still alive and kicking.
Dave A

My relatives left Smethwick in the late 1800s on a cattle ship for the USA they started a printing company in Wallingford Connecticut USA in 1957 My Uncle in the USA sponsored me to go to America, and I have lived in the USA ever since, and I am now 90 years young and built our house in The Pnery south of Parker, Colorado USA 33 years ago I have many tales to tell

Attachments

• crump 001.jpg
    crump 001.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 21368613_1144626848970683_3348955105269112395_o.jpg
    21368613_1144626848970683_3348955105269112395_o.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 13
I was 26...I believe the pension requirements are based on the number of days you paid 'stamps'. On one of my many trips to the UK, I went to the local taxation office to check on my eligibility and they estimated my weekly income would be about 25 pounds. They did not indicate it would be a lifelong amount. I do get regular correspondence to check if I am still alive and kicking.
Dave A
Thank you! Is tax office the formal name or something longer?

Not sure this is the place to say this, please move if not appropriate: I have just reread most of this thread (thank you Derek). When I was growing up in Handsworth everything was about cars, motorcycles, bicycles trucks etc., most of which I never had. I was a technical apprentice at Brooke Tool Automation and left for the US. Most of my career was with cars, trucks or component that made them go. Reading the Forum about Lucas, Wilmont Breeden, Austin, Rover, Wolsey, BSA, Norton, Ariel, Triumph, Standard etc etc, they are all gone, why? It is not why I left but when I read about those companies and many more it is saddening. That is where it all started, but could not be sustained!
Thank you!
Richard, as you probably are aware much global manufacturing shifted to China. Though Jaguar Land Rover is still in Birmingham. Dunn and Bradstreet give a list of manufacturing companies. Service industries are often seen as a replacement. British industry didn't retool after the war and industrial relations were poor. (Particularly in car manufacture where I think personally the management were often at fault).

I often speculate as to what I might have done for a living if my toolmaker father hadn't died when I was a baby. As it is I spent my working life teaching language and literature. Realistically many companies are international. Siemens and GE still manufacture but they have bases in other countries too. On a much smaller scale Birmingham still has a watch and clock making school, except at the very high end design and sometimes assembly are done in the UK while manufacture is done in China. This is so for most German and Swiss watches too. Derek

Richard, as you probably are aware much global manufacturing shifted to China. Though Jaguar Land Rover is still in Birmingham. Dunn and Bradstreet give a list of manufacturing companies. Service industries are often seen as a replacement. British industry didn't retool after the war and industrial relations were poor. (Particularly in car manufacture where I think personally the management were often at fault).

I often speculate as to what I might have done for a living if my toolmaker father hadn't died when I was a baby. As it is I spent my working life teaching language and literature. Realistically many companies are international. Siemens and GE still manufacture but they have bases in other countries too. On a much smaller scale Birmingham still has a watch and clock making school, except at the very high end design and sometimes assembly are done in the UK while manufacture is done in China. This is so for most German and Swiss watches too. Derek
Totally agree that management was at fault! I saw that at Brooke Tool In spades! Currently I am serving on two Boards much to my chagrin. In fact I just had lunch with the CEO/Founder of a renewable zero carbon energy company I serve as their principle Board member. I told him when he asked me to join that I would tell him what he needed to know not what he wanted to hear, so far so good! He has asked me to take on a bigger roll. For me I have been in the trenches, founded a company and done a couple of turn arounds.
I appreciate what you say about International companies but the British companies were the leader for so long and let it slip away. Labor relations are difficult, I was in the apprentice union and representative, when I first came to the US I was in a union and have run companies with UAW, United Steel Workers and United Electrical Workers unions. It’s not easy but if you have a consistent fair management style you can succeed. As Thomas Jefferson said, “the harder I work the luckier I get” What I saw at Brooke Tool was management with few skill sets, experience or motivation other than self serving!

l came to Texas in1958 at age 22...and married...did'nt want to come but as my father said your place is with your husband even if he is Timbucktoo,...l worked in IBM after l left school so was able to get a job very easy in the US. when l hit 62 l was able to get my english pension as l paid full stamps when l did'nt have to being a women....my pension was paid directly into Lloyds bank so when l would go home ( Brum ), l would always have spending money, and after all these years it has really added up, oh! my husband gets a very small pension being as he was in the RAF for 3years ...but how ever small it all healps

Totally agree that management was at fault! I saw that at Brooke Tool In spades! Currently I am serving on two Boards much to my chagrin. In fact I just had lunch with the CEO/Founder of a renewable zero carbon energy company I serve as their principle Board member. I told him when he asked me to join that I would tell him what he needed to know not what he wanted to hear, so far so good! He has asked me to take on a bigger roll. For me I have been in the trenches, founded a company and done a couple of turn arounds.
I appreciate what you say about International companies but the British companies were the leader for so long and let it slip away. Labor relations are difficult, I was in the apprentice union and representative, when I first came to the US I was in a union and have run companies with UAW, United Steel Workers and United Electrical Workers unions. It’s not easy but if you have a consistent fair management style you can succeed. As Thomas Jefferson said, “the harder I work the luckier I get” What I saw at Brooke Tool was management with few skill sets, experience or motivation other than self serving!
There was always a lot of controversy around trade unions in manufacturing plants like Longbridge, however I say that management get the trade unions they deserve.

l came to Texas in1958 at age 22...and married...did'nt want to come but as my father said your place is with your husband even if he is Timbucktoo,...l worked in IBM after l left school so was able to get a job very easy in the US. when l hit 62 l was able to get my english pension as l paid full stamps when l did'nt have to being a women....my pension was paid directly into Lloyds bank so when l would go home ( Brum ), l would always have spending money, and after all these years it has really added up, oh! my husband gets a very small pension being as he was in the RAF for 3years ...but how ever small it all healps
Absolutely Brenda, every little bit helps!

There was always a lot of controversy around trade unions in manufacturing plants like Longbridge, however I say that management get the trade unions they deserve.
I say you are absolutely correct Mort! In 1990 I had to reopen a contract with the UEWU, my first in a CEO position. Our business was down over 30%, it was renegotiate or close. It was a very hard and emotional time for everyone particularly my family who were getting nasty phone calls. i was going home at night reading Lee Iacoccas book about what he did at Chrysler! We finally settled at about 6.30pm one evening after two weeks, we shook hands and I about fell down. The shop steward went to a delicatessen and bought me a sandwich for supper because I had not eaten all day. Not saying it was easy afterwards but during that negotiation we developed a respect for each other!

My Nan, two aunts, an uncle and two cousins emigrated to Hollywood in the late 1950s. My Nan had been across the pond before with a dance group and performed in the US before WW1. She was smitten with the stage and movies. So in the 1950s they uprooted and settled in Hollywood. My Nan returned to England but her daughters settled there and have lived there since.

My son has also now settled in in the US (must be in the genes) and has absolutely no intention of returning to England. He feels his quality life and the opportunities in Florida are far, far above those here. Although I was initially gutted that he decided to stay, I’m very, very happy for him. He now has a wonderful wife and family, a great life and I get to go out there several times a year !

One thing I’ve realised since regularly visiting the States is you don’t have to go far to find a Brummie. And it’s even easier to find exBrits who’ve settled there. My son has many friends originally from the UK and they all say the same, that they’re very glad they made the move. Viv.
I have not met any Brummies, Coventry, Lutron, Manchester, Newcastle and London.

How will you spend the 4th July? Do you think of yourself as American? How did you get your green card? Do share your story!

I guess the fireworks are the consequence of the software. But they prompted my questions. Also if you are American living here in the UK, why did you join this board? Do you have family connections to Birmingham UK? Feel free to post wider family or cultural connections too.

Sorry how did I miss this post. Now you will have my life story but I will do it in stages. I lived in Harborne for 33 years. I went on a holiday to Benidorm my friend knew there was going to be an American ship there. Well 2 actually. my husband to be was on the USS Forrestal. To be honest I wasn't really bothered. I saw him 3 times then we were penfriends for about 8 years. He used to visit Birmingham once a year. Then we finally got our paperwork correct and I took the plunge. I started off in Jacksonville Florida and had my first raw oyster on july 4th a few years before.lol Then I got married december 1st. 1990 it had to be the 1st so my husband would remember it. Then I got my green card after 12 months. After 15 months I moved to Pensacola Florida then after 6 months a year in Philadelpia Then off to Virginia beach for 2 years and in January 1996 beck to Birmingham for 6 months putting everything in storage. My husband got a transfer to london and we ended up staying 6 years. He was 6 months away from retirement and totally unprepared so he put in a request to do 2 more years and they made him go back to the ship in Norfolk Virginia.

Sorry how did I miss this post. Now you will have my life story but I will do it in stages. I lived in Harborne for 33 years. I went on a holiday to Benidorm my friend knew there was going to be an American ship there. Well 2 actually. my husband to be was on the USS Forrestal. To be honest I wasn't really bothered. I saw him 3 times then we were penfriends for about 8 years. He used to visit Birmingham once a year. Then we finally got our paperwork correct and I took the plunge. I started off in Jacksonville Florida and had my first raw oyster on july 4th a few years before.lol Then I got married december 1st. 1990 it had to be the 1st so my husband would remember it. Then I got my green card after 12 months. After 15 months I moved to Pensacola Florida then after 6 months a year in Philadelpia Then off to Virginia beach for 2 years and in January 1996 beck to Birmingham for 6 months putting everything in storage. My husband got a transfer to london and we ended up staying 6 years. He was 6 months away from retirement and totally unprepared so he put in a request to do 2 more years and they made him go back to the ship in Norfolk Virginia.
Well done!

Franklin Tennessee.........

Back