• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Any idea about mines

Diane1947

master brummie
Ages ago I was sent part of my Family Tree. My second cousin had been researching, and one of cousins posted a photo copy of it.
I must admit did not study it hard, but today on looking at it in more detail.
My great grandmother born roughly 1847, but married in 1882 at the age of 31 which somehow puts her birth date wrong.
Somehow my second cousin had managed to find out our ancestors occupation.
However, by my great grandmothers name in brackets age 13 in mine/servant.
I do know she was in service, but what about the mine.
Seem to have lived stirchley, salop.
Would a young girl of 13 be in a mine.

hi diane yes almost certainly a 13 year old girl could have been working down the mines...even younger than that...i have a rellie aged 10 working the mines and another one who died aged 12 after he got between the buffers of 2 carriages and died instantly

lyn

hi diane yes almost certainly a 13 year old girl could have been working down the mines...even younger than that...i have a rellie aged 10 working the mines and another one who died aged 12 after he got between the buffers of 2 carriages and died instantly

Any idea where the mines would have been in Shropshire ?

i know of a stirchley in birmingham diane but not in shropshire but maybe someone can advise you

lyn

It is stated here that cottages were built for colliery workers.
I have a book "Pit Lasses,women & children in coalmining c1800-1914", which states that young children were often used as "trappers". In order to ventilate the mine and thus try to prevent buildup of dangerous gases, wooden doors were installed at various places, Cildren were employed to open then when a corve (containing coal) was approaching to let it through. The children's fathers, who usually worked in the mine, were paid 6d a day for the use of the child.. The case of an eight year old, Sarah Gooder is quoted, who left home at 3.30 am and was one of the last to leave , as trappers had to continue till work had finished for the day
PS. To make it clear the book was not referring to Stirchley specifically, but coalmining generally

Last edited:
Well this is really interesting, and really none is alive, that knows about the mine. I did know that she was in service, and that again is another story which appears to be true regarding my great grandmother giving birth to my grandmother, and somehow being in the workhouse for years.

In 1867 there was a Grange Pit, Stirchley, near Dawley where 4 men were killed. Operations were described as lax and a manslangter verdict was given against the Colliery Engineer, plus other censures. The pit operated until at least 1880. In 1862 Grange pit belonged to the Old Park Co.

There may have also been a Little Flint's Pit close by.

In 1886 William Brookbanks, a man of 79, pleaded guilty to stealing coal at Stirchley.

Stirchley was also in Shropshire and now near Telford where there were ironworks, coal mines and limestone mines nearby. As stated the girl could have worked underground, but also on the pit bank.

I went down a pit in Derby with my grandad in 1950to have a look at the conditions down there. it was damp smelly filthy. the walls had years of black tobbaco twist on then were the miners spat. it stunks of urine from the horses and people that worked down there, the only light was a head torch on the front of a leather helmet, the horses (ponies where kept in stalls,and were looked after well. grandad was working one day and there was a rumble and a cave in.he survived although he was bent double for 9 hours, before they got them out. his mouth had hit his knee and his teeth had gone through his lip. leaving him with a bad scar.and disability.

Falls of coal, falls of stone and rubbish, gas and fire and inundation by water were all hazards facing miners in South Staffordshire and East Worcestershire. On the surface they might be drawn over the pulley and fall down the pit shaft. Then there were the run away tubs. Mining was simply a dangerous occupation.

Back