• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Any children registered to Leslie and Dorothy please?

Kat7272

master brummie
I am trying to trace Leslie Horace Strawbridge (1907 to 1976) and his wife Dorothy Oertel.

As far as I can see they didn't have any children, but would it be possible for someone to double ch e ck for me?

I have also tried to trace the Oertel line to the present day, but I haven't had much luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Kat,

I can't find any children, there is a birth for Augusta Dorothy OERTEL in the 3rd Qtr 1909 at Kings Norton, Vol 6d Page 417

She's the daughter of Alfred & Jane OERTAL, a furrier, living at 164 Runcorn Road, Balsall Heath on the 1911 Census.

Ernest Alfred OERTEL married Louisa Jane JACQUES 1st Qtr 1908 Birmingham Vol 6d Page 207

Alfred Ernest OERTEL born 1st Qtr 1881 Birmingham Vol 6d Page 82

Alfred E OERTEL died aged 59 1st Qtr 1941 Birmingham Vol 6d Page 812

Maurice

Last edited:

MWS

master brummie
Alfred Ernest had 2 brother Albert Edward who's death was registered in Doncaster and Sidney Leopold who's death was registered in Manchester. Their father was German.

Augusta Dorothy's death appears to be registered as both Augusta D and Dorothy A in 1967.

Kat7272

master brummie
Thanks for the info. About a year ago I tried to find living relatives of Oertel's family. I was hoping to look someone up that may have family history.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Whilst it is a fairly rare name, Kat, there are rather more than I expected.

As regards living members of the OERTEL family in the West Midlands, the last one appears to passed away around 2013. I'll say no more on open forum other than she appeared to have been in a hospital or hospice at that time, and doesn't appear after that date. There are other OERTELs still alive in various other areas of England, but without more extensive research, I can't say whether they are related in a recent generation.

Maurice

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
1939 Laurel Avenue, 164 Runcorn Road, Sparkbrook
Alfred E Oertel b.12th Jan 1881 Storekeeper, general leather goods
Jennie 13th june 1881
Dorothy 6th Aug 1909 Printers table hand.
next to the entry is M 20-01-47 to Strawbridge.

Alfred names his next of Kin as Jennie on his WW1 service records perhaps a pet name.
Electoral rolls show first Alfred ,Jennie and Dorothy at 164 then 1945 Jennie and Dorothy, electoral rolls in the 50s show only Leslie and Dorothy Strawbridge at 164.

Kat7272

master brummie
Thanks Maurice and Alberta.

Yes I thought I was onto a winner with finding a living Oertel. But you seem to have confirmed my findings. Thank you for looking, I was even hoping that I may find an Oertel local that I could speak to, they may know their family history.

It's info on Leslie that I am after, it doesn't look like he and Dorothy had children, so I tried to go in another direction to find some living relative.

Any more thoughts?

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Kat,

I can confirm that the person I mentioned passed away in 2013 and was an Oertel by her marriage to Kenneth Walter OERTEL, who was born 2nd Qtr 1924 in Birmingham Vol 6d Page 693 and died 4th Qtr 1999 in Mid-Warwickshire. They don't appear to have had any children either! I will leave you to take it from there! :)

Maurice

Last edited:

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a probate for Sidney Leopold died 8th Sept 1958 Manchester granted to his son Sidney Samuel Oertel a fireman.
Sidney Samuel married Edith i Petty in 1938 and they do appear to have had children.

Kat7272

master brummie
Thanks for your help. It's a bit of a tricky one this. I think I will have to sit down and do an Oertel family tree. I may even have to branch out from the Oertel name.

Thanks for your help on this one, it has backed up what I know which is helpful.

If you have anymore thoughts, please let me know. I really thought I was onto a winner with this unusual name!

MWS

master brummie
Do you know Leslie had 2 sisters? Marjorie who is on the 1911 census and marries Albert E Smith and Dorothy who was registered Jun 1911 and married Arthur H Turner. She appears to have had as many as 3 daughters.

Kat7272

master brummie
MWS, no I didn't. Morace thomas is listed as the head, anx I have been looking for Leslie.

The site I am using is not showing all the census material, where did you get your info please? This is good news.

Kat7272

master brummie
Leslie Horace, is his name, its written as Morice, but definitely us as one of them was born in liverpool.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Kat,

This could be leading nowhere, but the Kenneth Edward Oertel referred to in post #8 was the son of James Edward OERTEL and Selina HODGES, who married in 2nd Qtr 1912 in Aston, Vol 6d Page 596. In 1925 they were living at 12 Grafton Road, Sparkbrook. They had two other children - Joyce S. OERTEL born 3rd Qtr 1918 at Aston Vol 6d Page 582 and Stanley J. Oertel born 4th Qtr 1924 at Birmingham Vol 6d Page 742.

Before I add the next bit, I might add that the surname OERTEL appears to be German in origin.

This might be born out by the 1891 Census where a James E. OERTEL , aged 1 year, is the foster son of Charles & Mary A. WESTALL living in Belgrave Street, Kings Norton. He's a waiter.

There is no birth listed for a James Edward, but a James Edwin was born 1st Qtr 1890 at Kings Norton Vol 6c Page 143. No mother's maiden name is given and to be certain of the father, you would have to get the birth certificate. He served in WW1 as there is an entry in the Medal Rolls. We somehow have to try and link this branch to your own, if in fact a link does exist, which seems likely somewhere.

Maurice