• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Antique gun shop Pershore road

izzy eckerslike

master brummie
Does anyone remember the antique gun shop on the Pershore road down the bottom end of Stirchley? I can't recognise the building it was in on Google Earth unless it was demolished, possibly where Church drive is now.

I bought a flintlock pistol and several other old guns from there in the 1960's. Has anyone got an old photo from that area showing the shop? It had Antique guns in big sign written lettering on the front if my memory serves me well.

That’s exactly how I remember the Treasure Trove in the mid 1970s , Don’t remember anything about a sign about guns.Viv.

Vic thanks for the reply .( Email) I remember that particular smell of oil and polish when you went in to Derek's shop .I spent many happy hours among the secondhand shops in those days .I am now 75 and live in Cornwall .The weapons i bought from The shop i no longer have .they were sold off to buy Motor cycles .more of Birmingham's Finest .BSA .Velocette .Ariel and Norton .I am too old for even them now .had to give up riding a couple of years ago .I only found your post by accident .I had been looking at a local auction with some flintlocks .And i remembered the Antique Gun shop and like you perhaps hoped to find a photograph so Googled it .and your post came up .
Happy times !! best wishes John.

Hello John,

I'm 75 next month so yes, those were happy days for sure, everything seems so sanitised and restricted now. Second hand shops were everywhere back in the 60's and I used to travel around B,ham and the black country for my job so used to scout out all the junk shops!
I was always in the Treasure trove in Cotteridge looking for antique picture frames for my own paintings, I remember a junk shop a bit further down from there under the name of Waldron, in 1962 I bought an old 9.5mm projector and box of films from there and struggled to lug it home on the numbers 11 & 62 buses!. I still have it!
In fact most of my interests from back then are still with me inc two ex arcade pinball machines !
I never got into motorbikes, (too eager to get a car) but I have an email friend in Ireland who restores & rides Velocettes, we share an interest in old lathes.

best wishes
Vic

Hello John,

I'm 75 next month so yes, those were happy days for sure, everything seems so sanitised and restricted now. Second hand shops were everywhere back in the 60's and I used to travel around B,ham and the black country for my job so used to scout out all the junk shops!
I was always in the Treasure trove in Cotteridge looking for antique picture frames for my own paintings, I remember a junk shop a bit further down from there under the name of Waldron, in 1962 I bought an old 9.5mm projector and box of films from there and struggled to lug it home on the numbers 11 & 62 buses!. I still have it!
In fact most of my interests from back then are still with me inc two ex arcade pinball machines !
I never got into motorbikes, (too eager to get a car) but I have an email friend in Ireland who restores & rides Velocettes, we share an interest in old lathes.

best wishes
Vic

Vic, I'm fairly sure that the Antique Gun Shop, had a connection with Weller and Dufty, the arms auctioneers in Birmingham. https://www.antiquestradegazette.com/news/2005/weller-dufty-close/

Steve.

Vic, I'm fairly sure that the Antique Gun Shop, had a connection with Weller and Dufty, the arms auctioneers in Birmingham. https://www.antiquestradegazette.com/news/2005/weller-dufty-close/

Steve.
Steve, it could well have been, even if not it's likely that the gun shop would have bought stock from there.
I never actually went to any of Wellers auctions but bought a couple of guns from a regular auction held at Hartlebury village hall. There is an arms and armour fair held at the national motorbike museum and I've been there a few times over the years.

Last edited:
This isn't my photograph so please remove if not appropriate. I am certain that one of these became the gun shop you are talking about. Cartland Road junction is to the left. I remember the guy who ran the shop. We used to process his photographs in 'Shutterbugs' in Cotteridge

Attachments

• 55496.jpg
    55496.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 61
Does anyone remember the antique gun shop on the Pershore road down the bottom end of Stirchley? I can't recognise the building it was in on Google Earth unless it was demolished, possibly where Church drive is now.

I bought a flintlock pistol and several other old guns from there in the 1960's. Has anyone got an old photo from that area showing the shop? It had Antique guns in big sign written lettering on the front if my memory serves me well.
Yes i remember it well, I used to walk past it nearly every night on my to the Three Horseshoes pub, cant say i saw it on the way home.

I think it's definitely was there, see the Google image, possibly the same building now has the upper window bricked up and painted white, it was the same back then and 'Antique guns' sign written in large letters which you could read from right down the road, otherwise it could only have been where the cul-de-sac is now located and demolishedgunshop.jpg

Last edited:
Vic thanks for the reply .( Email) I remember that particular smell of oil and polish when you went in to Derek's shop .I spent many happy hours among the secondhand shops in those days .I am now 75 and live in Cornwall .The weapons i bought from The shop i no longer have .they were sold off to buy Motor cycles .more of Birmingham's Finest .BSA .Velocette .Ariel and Norton .I am too old for even them now .had to give up riding a couple of years ago .I only found your post by accident .I had been looking at a local auction with some flintlocks .And i remembered the Antique Gun shop and like you perhaps hoped to find a photograph so Googled it .and your post came up .
Happy times !! best wishes John.
Hi

I was just reading your comment about Derek he was my dad,I was actually looking for an interview that Chris Tarrant did at the shop when he worked for ATV

Hi

I was just reading your comment about Derek he was my dad,I was actually looking for an interview that Chris Tarrant did at the shop when he worked for ATV
Hello Madi,

that's interesting to know Derek was your dad, did he have a collection of old guns himself? if you can find any old photo's of the shop then that would be good as well

Gun(k) shop

hi
just seen this post not sure it is any use to your request, but there is a building just of the pershore road behind a green grocers and opposite wickes it has always facinated me the sign on the building says "JESSE HILL GUNMAKERS" it looks like an old workshop,be interesting if there was any more info available.

Phil

hi
just seen this post not sure it is any use to your request, but there is a building just of the pershore road behind a green grocers and opposite wickes it has always facinated me the sign on the building says "JESSE HILL GUNMAKERS" it looks like an old workshop,be interesting if there was any more info available.

Phil
Old established Birmingham gunsmith. He made me a new trigger for my double 12

hi

Phil
Yes, I remember it well. It was a Gunsmith workshop, and had occasion to call in there once or twice. Probably mid 1960's. when I was last there. Access was via a staircase on the outside of the building, as he worked upstairs.

Steve.

Back