• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ansells Timber Merchant, Erdington

Dick Frak

Brummie babby
Hello Folks

Can anyone remember Ansells Timberyard on Barnabas Road, Erdington?

It was on the site where The Charlie Hall pub (at 49, Barnabas Rd) now stands. Any information (or even a photo - if it exists) will be greatly appreciated.

I attach a sketch: purely from memory ...

Stay safe!

Best Wishes

Dick

Attachments

• 8131F731-4668-4A3C-9241-3454E4D098CB.jpg
    8131F731-4668-4A3C-9241-3454E4D098CB.jpg
    774.9 KB · Views: 23
Yes, I remember Ansells Timberyard. Opposite the old market, more or less on the corner between Woolworths, Barnabas Road and Sutton New Road. Big large timber building with stacks of wood piled high.

My dad was carpenter so he would call there quite often

Hello Folks

Can anyone remember Ansells Timberyard on Barnabas Road, Erdington?

It was on the site where The Charlie Hall pub (at 49, Barnabas Rd) now stands. Any information (or even a photo - if it exists) will be greatly appreciated.

I attach a sketch: purely from memory ...

Stay safe!

Best Wishes

Dick
Hello there,

I remember it well, my grandad used to run it I think, sidney ansell.

Hello there,

I remember it well, my grandad used to run it I think, sidney ansell.
Hello Rachel

Thanks for your reply! Would you, or a member of your family, have any photographs of the Timberyard? I want to paint a larger version of the yard - but have no images to help me visualise it - so I'm limited to my memories of it as a young boy, visiting with my Dad to buy wood and plyboard. You may have it as a background to a photo of your grandfather, for example. If you do, please contact me here. Thanks!

Best Wishes

Dick

Hello again

You might remember that last time I posted I was looking for help in finding any photographs of Ansells Timber Yard, which was on Barnabas Road, Erdington - on the site where the Charlie Hall pub now stands. I've done a second version from memory and attach it here. Any information about the Timber Yard (or even a photo!) would be much appreciated!

Have a great day!!IMG_5508.jpg

Best Wishes

Dick

Back