• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ansells Brewery

Hello, one and all.

I have lurked for a long time, and have finally registered, hoping that this may be of interest on this thread.

My wife's Grandfather was a Brewer at Aston. He started there in 1919. When he had been there for 40 years, he was presented with a canteen of cutlery, and a watch. This is the occasion.

The canteen of cutlery is easy to see, but the watch is just visible below the arm of the gentleman making the presentation.

The watch, engraving on the back.

A little family history, in safe hands.

My own brother worked at Aston, on Security, until it closed after the strike. I visited the sample room on more than one occasion.

Steve.

Hello, one and all.

I have lurked for a long time, and have finally registered, hoping that this may be of interest on this thread.

My wife's Grandfather was a Brewer at Aston. He started there in 1919. When he had been there for 40 years, he was presented with a canteen of cutlery, and a watch. This is the occasion.

The canteen of cutlery is easy to see, but the watch is just visible below the arm of the gentleman making the presentation.

My own brother worked at Aston, on Security, until it closed after the strike. I visited the sample room on more than one occasion.

Steve.

Notsharp Welcome to the forum I hope you enjoy your time here .

Is anybody able to date the Ansells lorry on this picture, or indeed any of the vehicles, the image is dated as 1965 but could be incorrect and perhaps much older. Thanks.

Attachments

• parklane12.jpg
    parklane12.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • parklane12part.jpg
    parklane12part.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 43
There was a pub attached to the brewery at the end furthest from Aston Cross. A "brewery tap" type place. Can anybody recall what it was named? I remember dropping in there for a pint one evening during the early seventies before going on to a night game at the Villa. There were a few brewery workers in there and one of them kept playing over and over a song on the jukebox called "you can't get me I'm part of the union" to great hilarity from his mates. Didn't Ansells Brewery have a lot of industrial strife and strikes around that time?

Last edited:
Tracing old Ansells workmates.

:D If any of you are on friends reunited Ansells have a site under workplaces. I was surprised how far back some of them go. Pete's found quite a few old mates on there and they've been in touch with one another. Give it a try. Jean.:D
Hi all my best mate Colin Hunt worked there as a Carpenter until the strike wrecked his job he worked out of Telsen Stores , maintaining the pubs making Back Fittings , Counter Tops etc etc it was a good job Colin enjoyed it his dad Frank also worked in the stores at Telsen. RIP Colin >

Last edited by a moderator:
We have edited this post because it is in breach of Rule 2 relating to political posts. We acknowledge you may have done this inadvertently, but you must remember that the membership is a very diverse group of people who may not share your pollical opinion or see past events on the same was as you.

It is important to us to hear your stories of the past, but please think before you post and have a quick look at our rules section if in any doubt.

Thank you for your understanding, the admin team.

Do any former Ansell's employees remember Les Leach? He worked there as a driver in the 1960s. Les was married to one of my mum's friends. He took me out on his delivery rounds a couple of times during summer 1967. I remember the lorry he drove on these occasions was an articulated tanker from which the beer was pumped directly into the pub cellar. Les was a larger than life character, very good humoured and jolly. It would have been 1968 or 1969 when I last met him.

Hi all my best mate Colin Hunt worked there as a Carpenter until the strike wrecked his job he worked out of Telsen Stores , maintaining the pubs making Back Fittings , Counter Tops etc etc it was a good job Colin enjoyed it his dad Frank also worked in the stores at Telsen. RIP Colin >
Sorry about that just stating what a lot of Ansells Workers and Colin thought at the time of the strike.

Hi there - bit late to this. My Grandad and Dad worked for Ansells in the 60s/70s/80s and actually my dad in the 90s I think at Carlsberg! My Grandad was Harry Church and my dad is Des Church. I remember Ansells doing the BRMB walk - around the 11 bus route and they were rolling a barrel. My dad stopped at every pub and had to jump on the bus to catch up with the barrel! My mom got a phone call about 8pm saying my dad needing picking up from the Ansells club as he was asleep on the bowling green!

A big C&W fan the brewery stalwart Alex Brackstone died a few weeks ago aged 91. Remembered by many I am sure. Worked there for over 35 years.

I remeber Alex Brackstone. I worked at Ansells for 10 years (1971-81). For a few years I worked in the Production Wages Office and I always remember him. Always had a smile on his face and always in his white overalls. Even now, I can recall some guys clock numbers....Lol

Jimmy Jones was originally on the Transport and them moved to the Security (gateman) staff working for John Powers. He eventually became the "Sergeant" of the Security Dept. and was in charge of burning old returned beer tickets in the Boiler Room, allegedly many of which did not reach the flames as he and his compatriot Les Ward were very "clumsy". Both died years ago.

I remember Jimmy Jones, Les Ward and Ken Walton, the three "Sergents". They would take it in turns driving me or one of my colleagues to Aldridge Depot on a Thursday to pay the wages out. Those were the days.

Hello, one and all.

Steve.
What was your brother's name?

Vic T Ellis Marsh Hill. wife's name Pat.
Steve is there a way I could contact you sometime? Phone or email? Is there a private message facility on here?

Ansells brewery.

:D Hi 500 miles. What were your brother and fathers names?. My brothers is Albert Lyndon who was a checker and my husbands is Pete Smith who was on the brewing to begin with then on the dreys finishing off as chargehand in the warehouse at Gravelly Park. Bye for now. Jean.:D
I remember Albert Lyndon the Checker at Aldridge. He was a nice chap. Good at his job and sociable.My wife Avril worked there for 10 years. It was like a family everyone knew everyone else.

Back