• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ansells Brewery

Anyone who knew my Dad, Ron Timmins AKA "Cowboy". I regret to say that he sadly passed away on 28th August.

Anyone who knew my Dad, Ron Timmins AKA "Cowboy". I regret to say that he sadly passed away on 28th August.
Yes I remember your dad from my days at Aldridge Depot, didn't know him well because he was on the bottles and me the drays we didn't seem to mix much. Nice man something to do with country and western I think, The Silver Saddle comes to mind. Sorry to hear your news.

Yes I remember your dad from my days at Aldridge Depot, didn't know him well because he was on the bottles and me the drays we didn't seem to mix much. Nice man something to do with country and western I think, The Silver Saddle comes to mind. Sorry to hear your news.

Thanks for the kind words Stevehanson. Yes, you've got the right guy and the right name of the C&W club he ran.

A big C&W fan the brewery stalwart Alex Brackstone died a few weeks ago aged 91. Remembered by many I am sure. Worked there for over 35 years.

Was he over the transport Ken?. Pete remembers Albert but not Jimmy.
Jimmy Jones was originally on the Transport and them moved to the Security (gateman) staff working for John Powers. He eventually became the "Sergeant" of the Security Dept. and was in charge of burning old returned beer tickets in the Boiler Room, allegedly many of which did not reach the flames as he and his compatriot Les Ward were very "clumsy". Both died years ago.

My mother and aunt both worked at Ansells in the offices - if anyone remember the Kemshall sisters? Mum left when I was born, but Jackie was at the brewery until it closed and then transferred to the office in Aldridge Road. Dad was one of the visiting ICL engineers, Frank Price, if anyone remembers him. I visited the brewery a lot as a youngster, and I believe one of the drays was pressed into service to move furniture from my Gran's to Mum's

Jimmy Jones was originally on the Transport and them moved to the Security (gateman) staff working for John Powers. He eventually became the "Sergeant" of the Security Dept. and was in charge of burning old returned beer tickets in the Boiler Room, allegedly many of which did not reach the flames as he and his compatriot Les Ward were very "clumsy". Both died years ago.
I am quite sure they didn't!!.

Aston Brewery from a 1972 booklet about Ansells brewing history. Was this at Aston Cross ? Doesn’t have the look of that location. Viv,

Attachments

• 1D99E88C-C007-4FA2-9579-6F47CABAC97A.jpeg
    1D99E88C-C007-4FA2-9579-6F47CABAC97A.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 55
Aston Brewery from a 1972 booklet about Ansells brewing history. Was this at Aston Cross ? Doesn’t have the look of that location. Viv,
Yes it is Ansells Brewery, it is not in the 70s but much earlier. If you ever walked up Park road you would recognise this as the very old brewery gates, the newer entrance gate was much the same. The drays used to enter from coming down the hill and queing up until a space was available on the unloading deck. I have a modern photo of the entrance somewhere, I will post it and you will see the drays queing up.Regards Steve.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 52
Does any one recall a guy known as "Tiny" and of course he was big and tall worked at Ansells in the 70's for sure, he rode a motorcycle and wore a long tan coat his job was BEER TASTER !!.

Then would come out at night and sink a few, this was a big man so a few beers was just that, he maintained he really did not drink that much at work,
Bloody hell. I remember Tiny. He was a mate of my dads as was yorkie.

Bloody hell. I remember Tiny. He was a mate of my dads as was yorkie.
That's great I often wonder what happened to some of the guys I knew.
I meet Tiny back in the early 70's he would ride his motorbike to the Man on the Moon pub most nights and have several pints.
I always thought it odd a man who tasted beer for a job working for Ansells would come out at night and drink at a M&B pub ..

Last edited:
Pete was on the brewing and a beer taster too. He said the name rings a bell (Tiny) but can't put a face to him.

Back