• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ansells Brewery

I would think they wanted to perform an MOT on Michael to ensure his brakes were capable of holding him back
Mike

Why is everyone looking at my Missus?

Come on lads, that motor was my pride and joy. Why hasn't anyone noticed how clean and tidy it was. the interior was polished up to the 9's and didn't anyone notice the piece of fitted carpet under those white knee length boots.

Here's a question - Name the make and model of the tractor unit........

Come on you lot I told him you would know what the truck unit was. Don't let me down where's Stitcher when you need him!:023:

Truck? What truck? - Oh, that truck, it looks like a Leyland Bison to me and in excellent condition and well kept too.

Well Wendy, if it is not a Leyland then my only other guess is a AEC Mandator, you don't make this easy, I'm having a bit of trouble concentrating on the truck. :D

Hi Michael youv'e got plenty form in that truck is it a Leyland Daf.had a happy 8 years at Ansells,worked in the 50s 60sbest job i ever had.
regards

Hi Richard do you remember Albert Lyndon the checker and have you two sons who work there. MY HUSBAND WORKED THERE AND FOR CARLSBERG FOR 25 YEARS AND WAS THERE WHEN THE STRIKE WAS ON. HIS NAME IS PETE SMITH. JEAN.

If I remember correctly, I used to deliver Co2 three times a week to Ansells Brewery in that motor back in the early 70's. Sorry Richard, it isn't a Leyland Daf, Dave was right - it' an AEC Mandator.......

Help!! Can Upload image to my Album but when attempting to copy the "URL" or "BB" code the image will not show in post.

Anyone got any ideas?

Richard

Her sister lives over the road but i thought they came from windsor richard. Their three sons still work for carlsberg. So many from that era have passes away recently. Bye. Jean.

Hi Jean yes i do remember your husband Albert.i didn't have any son's working at Ansells.i had a brother in law by the name of John Ravenscroft.
regards.

High richard albert is my brother and is ten years my senior. Will ask pete about the other person you mentioned. Jean.

RICHARD THERE IS A PETER TAPLIN I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO TRACE ON MY MOMS SIDE.:beam: HE IS MY COUSIN AND NOW YOU HAVE GOT ME THINKING. TAKE CARE. JEAN.

Guest re: Ansell's Brewery Ann B - Have you any Genealogy you would wish to share

Paul do you mind if I copy that and send it to my brother as he was there at that time. Have you names for the two please?. Jean.

Marie what was[ or is sorry] your dads name and which dept did he work?. Jean.

My dad passed away 33 years ago Jean, I don't know what year he started there, but he was still working there when I was a nipper early 60s, I remember my mom saying that he had had a drink when he got home, but he would say it was the fumes from the beer lol.

I loved Ansells beer! :) To my mind/taste it was by far the superior to M&B. Whenever I went to a dance at Aston University I always stopped-by the 'Pot of Beer' (was it?) next to the brewery; it was a superb pint! And that glorious smell that filled the streets next to the brewery.....that alcoholic 'weetabix' waft! Sometimes it was so strong/thick that it was all-envelloping; as if you could slice it with a knife! Ansells always seemed to 'travel' well, whereas, Banks' Ale, another favourite, had to be treated with care, and was not always sold at its best...indeed, it could be ruined by an indifferent land-lord.

My thanks to all of you who worked at Ansells; not many can say that they gave great pleasure to tens of thousands!

Paulyx I can just about read J Cronin secretary. Still in touch with his son and grandaughter. John Pete my husband was one of the brewers when they went on strike and had the displeasure of pressing the button to let the beer go down the drains. Bet there were many a drunk rat that day. Marie Pete does not remember your dad but my brother may will ask him when he gets back off his holidays. Jean.

JohnO. You would have loved Pete's job as he was also a sampler. Never ever drove to work as you can guess. Jean.

Back