• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ansells Brewery

Good Morning

Bottom row - 4th from the left is Tommy Thornton (Big Tom) - and same row 3rd from the right I believe is Spuddy Baker.

However please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

William.
Hi,
Thank you for the feedback there is Michael Madden, Myself Peter Madden, Sid Timmins manager, next to me is Kieth?, Peter Davies i cant place any other names.

Hi Jean, my Dad's name is Ray Shelley and grand dad was George Ellis although he retired from Ansells in the 1960's.
Were your family involved in the strike in 1981? I remember Dad staying out all night on picket lines, it was awful.
Yes my brother Trevor jones( drayman) and my dad worked in the boiler room for years untill he retired ( deceased) joe jones, brother was taken back on at gravelly park depot and I used to play for a sell’s in a Severn a side competition in the social club site Perry Barr. Remember the pipers and some guy called banacheck ( nickname) playing as well ( good days no pressures then) Richard jones

I think there were two Joe Jones Richard and one lived over the road from my late brother Albert Lyndon. Pete was involved in the strike it was an awful time. He didn't vote as he was in hospital at the time and my brother was a staff member and it didn't include them. This is a photo of the Ansell's fishing team.

Attachments

• Dad Fishing 1.JPG
    Dad Fishing 1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
Hi Jean, my Dad's name is Ray Shelley and grand dad was George Ellis although he retired from Ansells in the 1960's.
Were your family involved in the strike in 1981? I remember Dad staying out all night on picket lines, it was awful.
Yes my brother Trevor jones( drayman) and my dad worked in the boiler room for years untill he retired ( deceased) joe jones, brother was taken back on at gravelly park depot and I used to play for a sell’s in a Severn a side competition in the social club site Perry Barr. Remember the pipers and some guy called banacheck ( nickname) playing as well ( good days no pressures then) Richard jones
I think there were two Joe Jones Richard and one lived over the road from my late brother Albert Lyndon. Pete was involved in the strike it was an awful time. He didn't vote as he was in hospital at the time and my brother was a staff member and it didn't include them. This is a photo of the Ansell's fishing team.
yes my brother Trevor was involved in the strike ( think the Union sold them down the river Trent ) as he was on picket duty up in Liverpool and convenience permitted that weekend AVFC were playing Everton and he went and watched that ( Tony Morley scoring goal of the season on bbc motd) but it did nothing to reward there travels. Definitely sold down the river by the TWGU and my company I worked for were one of the few in Birmingham to donate and support them and in the end I think a bite of greed got to close the best brewery for miles around ( trademark)

My dad worked for Ansells as a drayman when I was growing up, then he worked on the lorries and later drove at night to Burton until he retired. We lived at Great Barr, his name was Dennis Ryman

It was in 1858 that Joseph Ansell established the malting's at Aston Cross and when his sons were old enough William joined him in 1867 and Edward in 1876. It was through Gladstone abolishing the malt tax that they decided that the brewing industry would be better and in March 1882 Ansells Brewery Ltd at Aston Cross was born it was also an ideal place because of the artesian wells on the premises, which the City Analyst Dr.Bostock Hill said in a letter "The artesian wells that I have examined are some of the finest I have ever seen".
It became a Limited company in 1901 and in 1923 took Rushtons Brewery over, 1928 they took over Lucas and Co. of Leamington and in 1934 Holt's Brewery was taken over by them growing even bigger in 1934 when the bought out Plant and Co.
And continued to expand
My Dad worked at Ansells for a short time. When I last visited the area in 2004 to attend his funeral, I recall that the former Ansells Brewery site at Aston Cross was a Mercedes dealership

Mooching about, looking for something else, and what do I find?

And to top it all, It still has the full set.

These would have come from The Old Mill, West Heath, where my father drank, and played Does, and darts in his latter years. He had always been an M&B man, until we moved and lived closer to The Mill, than the Man on the Moon.

Steve.

Steve.

Mooching about, looking for something else, and what do I find?

And to top it all, It still has the full set.

These would have come from The Old Mill, West Heath, where my father drank, and played Does, and darts in his latter years. He had always been an M&B man, until we moved and lived closer to The Mill, than the Man on the Moon.

Steve.

Steve.
Hi Steve we too have these domino's. Pete used to play a lot in his break while working at Ansells.

Back