• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ansells Brewery

Re: The strike of 1981.

Hi all, I am new to this thread and can't figure out how to start a new topic, can anyone help. I worked at Ansells for 30 years and would like to join in.

You have joined in. If you wish to add Ansell's memories just go ahead.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

This is how we used to do it before the chains( dogs ).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 78
Steve if you wish to add information about Ansells please do it in this thread. If you wish to start a thread about anything else (once having checked we do not already have a thread on the subjest) then do so in the appropriate section. We can always move it for you if you pick the wrong one.

Not sure what you mean by "how my comments go to ansells"?

Great photos by the way.

Hi Jean, yes I had done eleven years when the strike started, I was a driver drayman at Aldridge Depot and my brother was the same at Gravelly park, my dad started in 1953 and was transport Forman at the brewery when it all started, before that he was transport Forman at Holt street. I have just added some brewery photos which I found on the internet. Regards Steve Hanson.

Every night after working at Ansells Brewery myself and lots of others used to go for a drink before going home, it was a very important part of the job, you got the chance to speak to other transport crews and have a laugh. I headed for the Vine every night at 5-30pm.

HI
If you scroll back through the site, you will find pictures of him and his mate Jimmy Jones

hi steve ,
my uncle frank marsden was a drayman there in the early years until abou the mid fiftys when he died ;
he was orinioanal from wigan ; he loked like mick Mcnamas the wrestler ad ecertaanly had his twang of the accent as well
we could not understand him whn he vistited our our up cromwell square we lived virtualy next door to Ansells brewery
our uncle frank belly that it was huge through drinking the beer he had to wear a big huge beltit must have been about eight inches wide to go around his waist and he lived ten doors away from the pub ; 10 park street the side of the pub ;he was married to my father ;
whom worked at the golden cross from 14 years old to 42 years old when he died march the 30th 1958 ;
was you there for the horse and carts drays or even wore there cloggs in the early years i think they stoped wearing those around the late fiftys ; keep them rolling steve if you got memories or pictures ; best wishes Astonian;;;;

hi steve ,
my uncle frank marsden was a drayman there in the early years until abou the mid fiftys when he died ;
he was orinioanal from wigan ; he loked like mick Mcnamas the wrestler ad ecertaanly had his twang of the accent as well
we could not understand him whn he vistited our our up cromwell square we lived virtualy next door to Ansells brewery
our uncle frank belly that it was huge through drinking the beer he had to wear a big huge beltit must have been about eight inches wide to go around his waist and he lived ten doors away from the pub ; 10 park street the side of the pub ;he was married to my father ;
whom worked at the golden cross from 14 years old to 42 years old when he died march the 30th 1958 ;
was you there for the horse and carts drays or even wore there cloggs in the early years i think they stoped wearing those around the late fiftys ; keep them rolling steve if you got memories or pictures ; best wishes Astonian;;;;

Hi, Im sorry I never started at Ansells until 1969' I remember the Golden Cross we used to hold union meetings upstairs and then go out on strike for the rest of the day.

hi to you all,im new on here so bear with me,my dad used to work for ansells in the 60s70,early 80s,his name was bob rigby,he was at aton first i belive then moved to aldridge ,and he was a drayman,his hoppo was frankie dennis,just wandered if any of you remembered him......thanks

Yes I remember your dad, good footballer, I knew him when he worked with Sammy Leach.

what a cracking photo ken just look how high the crates are stacked on the lorry...any idea of the year it was taken..also wondering what pub that they are delivering to...thanks for sharing it with us

lyn

just thinking about those flags flying...could it have been for the queens coronation..

Well the lorry is a 1950 (ish) Leyland Beaver so it could very well be the coronation in 1953.

what a cracking photo ken just look how high the crates are stacked on the lorry...any idea of the year it was taken..also wondering what pub that they are delivering to...thanks for sharing it with us

lyn
Hi Lyn, when I started in 1969 that size crate carried 24 pint bottles and they were heavy, and the crates were stacked high to give the men a bit of room to work on the wagon, wouldn't dream of driving with them that high.We had a few pubs with that sort of wall facia, couldn't narrow it down.

Want I can't work out about that photo is the road markings on the right hand side of the photo. If they were flat kerbs because of the width of the road surely they would be longer, or are they just some sort of road marking?

It does look peculiar Phil. If you enlarge it, then the "kerb" near to the camera does look a bit as if it is a series of stones set in the road level with the road , but if you look at the far end, you seem to see a shadow where the "kerb" is raised

Hi Lyn, when I started in 1969 that size crate carried 24 pint bottles and they were heavy, and the crates were stacked high to give the men a bit of room to work on the wagon, wouldn't dream of driving with them that high.We had a few pubs with that sort of wall facia, couldn't narrow it down.

hi steve..even though the lorry is stationary when the crates are stacked i still think it looks dodgy lol....i knew someone who worked at ansells in the early 70s name of ray stansbie..think he moved on to davenports but cant be sure of that as it was a long time ago...would love to idendify that pub but alas there are no real clues

lyn

It does look peculiar Phil. If you enlarge it, then the "kerb" near to the camera does look a bit as if it is a series of stones set in the road level with the road , but if you look at the far end, you seem to see a shadow where the "kerb" is raised

Mike,

I wonder if the road narrowed at that point, I have to be honest and say I have never seen anything like that before in an urban area.

:peach:Found this ad in an old book. Also the old Ansells badge after the strike. Jean.:peach:

Attachments

• cc5.jpg
    cc5.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 38
  • cc10.jpg
    cc10.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Back