• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ansells Brewery

The Mermaid Sparkhill, a popular pub in the 70’s on a Thursday and Frida.
Also a regular pick up place for the (then) Irish community looking for casual work on construction sites ; from building to pipe laying, concreting, etc.
I did a few ‘shifts’ there my mates to earn a few quid some weekends, the only issue was if you did a good shift on a Saturday by the time you got home and washed , you were to tired to go out on the night to spend your earnings , but great memories

Attachments

• 7C69B32A-8521-4F7C-A439-F339B84F5A04.jpeg
    7C69B32A-8521-4F7C-A439-F339B84F5A04.jpeg
    714.4 KB · Views: 22
The strike of 1981.

:D Does anyone remember the strike of 1981 at Ansells?. My brother used to work at Holte Street and my husband was on the fermentation side of the brewing at Aston Cross. He later moved to Aldridge and finished at Carlsberg Gravely Park. :D Bye for now. Jean.
I was Ansells Aldridge during the strike. I took redundancy as many of us did, the money was so good and if your were of working age you could get a another job quite easily. I had beer tickets too it was a choice of those or the money. If you had the tickets some of the managed house managers would cash them in for you and you got more than if you took the money from the brewery which of course was taxed. Everyone had a job it do and you got on with it, there was no way you could leave any of it until the next day. If anyone was off sick or on holiday all the others in the same dept would chip in and get it all done.
Good times.

Mooching about, looking for something else, and what do I find?

And to top it all, It still has the full set.

These would have come from The Old Mill, West Heath, where my father drank, and played Does, and darts in his latter years. He had always been an M&B man, until we moved and lived closer to The Mill, than the Man on the Moon.

Steve.

Steve.
just noticed this post..i have our dads full set of m and b dominoes complete with instructions...strange as he was always an ansells mild drinker

lyn

Last edited:
I was Ansells Aldridge during the strike. I took redundancy as many of us did, the money was so good and if your were of working age you could get a another job quite easily. I had beer tickets too it was a choice of those or the money. If you had the tickets some of the managed house managers would cash them in for you and you got more than if you took the money from the brewery which of course was taxed. Everyone had a job it do and you got on with it, there was no way you could leave any of it until the next day. If anyone was off sick or on holiday all the others in the same dept would chip in and get it all done.
Good times.
Hi Big John, I was at Aldridge, What is your second name?

Back