• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wenman Street and Edwardes Street, Balsall Heath

Mrs Bear 51

master brummie
Greetings one and all... I hope you are all staying well in these strange times.

I am aware that another Wenman Street thread exists and I have had a look at it before posting here.

My mothers family lived in Mount Terrace and Wenman Street, before moving to Langstone Road in the late 1930s.

I saw that the other thread on Wenman Street had an image posted of Mount Terrace, but the image was no longer available. I wonder if anyone has a copy of that image, or indeed the original?

My family lived at 5/61 Mount Terrace and then 1/67 Wenman Street. I looked at the area on Google maps and it is clear it has all been redeveloped, but I would love to get an idea of what it looked like when they were there in the 1930s and earlier.

Also, a bit off-topic - my grandmother was born the rear of 178 Edwardes Street, Balsall Heath in 1898. I have looked and can no longer find this road, was it re-named or was it swallowed up in redevelopment.

Thank you.

i have one of mount pleasant terrace wenman st not mount terrace would that be the one

lyn

I don't know - are they not the same location - I'm going by what was written in the Census returns and some of the handwriting is very bad, plus I may have recalled it incorrectly!

I have so many addresses going around in my head, as I'm using lockdown to collate the family history and I started looking at history from 1839 - that's a lot of addresses to try to remember.

Anything you have would be great, thank you.

Interesting to see the wooden framed 'shed' with roofing felt roof and sides. I think that was a common quick fix for many, especially as it was cheap to build.
The circular building, which seems to gave a concrete roof interests me. Was it an air raid shelter? I remember a seeing a similar shape in Devon but that was a bakery.

Last edited:
Astoness - I will check, but if it's on Wenman Street, I'm pretty sure it is what I'm after.

Thank you - it is quite fabulous!

In the 1899 Kelly's Edwardes Street is listed as going from Moseley Road to Cannon Hill Road. The map site I use is playing up a bit (and I can't get the best scale map to load so apologies for small writing) but it looks as if it has now become Edward Road.

1589835923838.png

Last edited:
My family lived at 5/61 Mount Terrace and then 1/67 Wenman Street. I looked at the area on Google maps and it is clear it has all been redeveloped, but I would love to get an idea of what it looked like when they were there in the 1930s and earlier.

Also, a bit off-topic - my grandmother was born the rear of 178 Edwardes Street, Balsall Heath in 1898. I have looked and can no longer find this road, was it re-named or was it swallowed up in redevelopment.

Thank you.
The positions of 5/61 Mount Terrace & 1/67 Wenman Street are shown highlighted in yellow map is about 1950.
Both are in close vicinity of the Crown inn.

Note: The square & round buildings which are shown in the top left of the Mount Pleasant Photograph

wenman-st4.jpg

Last edited:
Back 178 Edward Road seems also to have been named Barford Place. It is shown in red on the map below

map c1950 showing Barford Place, back of 178 Edward Road.jpg

Not the terrace you want , but one almost opposite on Wenman st , Islington Terrace. It was taken by myself around 1970 when the area was being redeveloped.

25.Islington terrace.jpg26A.Islington terrace.jpg

Last edited:
The positions of 5/61 Mount Terrace & 1/67 Wenman Street are shown highlighted in yellow map is about 1950.
Both are in close vicinity of the Crown inn.

Note: The square & round buildings which are shown in the top left of the Mount Pleasant Photograph

View attachment 145116

great rob thanks for the map which proves that the caption on my photo is wrong..which of course can happen...but most important the photo is a good one..so it is mount terrace which is what mrs bear is after...i will alter the caption on my photo...looking at robs maps again and the position of those square and circular buildings i would guess that the lady is the photo is standing more or less outside no 5 mount terrace..

Last edited:
Thanks one and all - Mikejee, your images are a delight. Thank goodness you took them and kept them, who knew that so many years later they'd be of such interest to folk like me!

Mrs Bear

and how lucky that the lady in the photo i posted i would think is standing outside no 5 mount terrace...

lyn

Lynn
Sorry. I missed that out. Yes it is Islington Terrace. I have now added it to the original post

Lynn
Sorry. I missed that out. Yes it is Islington Terrace. I have now added it to the original post
Thanks for confirming Mike, a great close up of where my mom's family lived, I can even see their front door, it means a lot to me, thank you :)

Back