• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Another SCAM

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
As previously mentioned I also use a BT8500 (powered by truecall) and have not heard a scam call for years. The only thing I cannot do with it is see a list of all the numbers I've blocked.
Eldon Boy and OM
Thanks for that, I bought a standard phone, instigated call blocker but as I said it seemed to block all calls. I will now look anew. Eldon Boy that is the clever thing to do to keep you number live, had the same problem as you, took it back to EE who reconnected FOR and suggested one quick call a month to keep it live and the one to your home phone when you are stood by it is the one they do not want.
Bob

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
Received the following email from 'TV Licence' this morning. Have removed the dodgy link. Beware!

Dear Customer,
Your TV Licence will expire on 1 December 2018.
We're sorry to let you know that the TV Licence could not be automatically renewed.
Something's gone wrong with your Direct Debit payments.
Your bank has been decline the latest Direct Debit payment.
If you don't keep up with your payments, you risk becoming unlicensed.
Link Removed
Please take care of this straight away or we may be forced to cancel your licence or pass your details to a debt collection agency. Please keep this email safe, because it tells you how to access your licence online.

landcrab9

knowlegable brummie
Received the following email from 'TV Licence' this morning. Have removed the dodgy link. Beware!

Dear Customer,
Your TV Licence will expire on 1 December 2018.
We're sorry to let you know that the TV Licence could not be automatically renewed.
Something's gone wrong with your Direct Debit payments.
Your bank has been decline the latest Direct Debit payment.
If you don't keep up with your payments, you risk becoming unlicensed.
Link Removed
Please take care of this straight away or we may be forced to cancel your licence or pass your details to a debt collection agency. Please keep this email safe, because it tells you how to access your licence online.
Thanks for that Jukebox. People should know that TV Licence will never email you, they write letters. They don't even know your email address, unless you've given it to them. They have never asked for mine.
Bryan.

warren

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for that Jukebox. People should know that TV Licence will never email you, they write letters. They don't even know your email address, unless you've given it to them. They have never asked for mine.
Bryan.

that's not quite right I get mine via email see attached.

Attachments

landcrab9

knowlegable brummie
that's not quite right I get mine via email see attached.
Yes Warren but you must have provided them with your email address or else they would not have known it.
I also note that they addressed you by name and not Dear customer.
Bryan.

rosie

brummie
This seems to be an old scam but it's happened twice in the past few days in Sandwell. As we were leaving the house a man got out of a van, approached my husband and asked if he would like to buy a mattress. This morning in the Post Office another van drew up, a man came and asked at the counter if they wanted a mattress, he made a swift exit when the answer was no!
I have looked on the "web" and it seem the main ones are old memory foam ones, some that don't meet the safety requirements, and some are dirty old ones wrapped up etc.
rosie.

Big Gee

master brummie
I just had an e-mail claiming to be from HM Customs & Excise telling me that my 'Government Gateway account has been created'. Ooooh, lovely. They go on to tell me that, despite letters to me being ignored, I am still owed a tidy sum in overpaid tax dating back to 2018. Ooooooh, even lovelier! But no such letters ever received by me, and of course HM C&E don't communicate via e-mail.

The giveaway is that the scam comes with a Belgian e-mail address!

G

Radiorails

master brummie
A latest fraud, mentioned today, is aimed at those with children receiving free school meals. It recommends filling in an on-line form - to include your bank details of course!!!!
Most here do not have children of school age but our sons and daughters may.

Last edited:

RobT

master brummie
As far as I know this is a message from Birmingham City Council letting you
know about some of the scams going around, and what to look out for.

Eric Gibson

master brummie
Looks like they're now on the corona virus.
Just had a new one.

"This is a recorded message about the corona virus, you are recommended to wear a facemask to avoid spreading the disease, if you would like to order a mask press one."

sidwho

master brummie
hi had 2 emais today one from tv licecening and one from Netflix I rechecked my emails tv paid with recite in febuary and I do not subscribe to Netflix so bewerar of these emails kind reguards sidwho