• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Another SCAM

Radiorails

master brummie
This seems to be the latest type of call and as far as I know when you press the button they suggest that links you to a pay phone. I presume the calls you or maybe they make are paid for by you. My calls are free anyway but we never use dial back button 3 or respond to any unknown call.
I had a call today - couldn't quite grasp what he claimed to be representing - it may have been my energy provider. Anyway e asked if I wanted a smart meter, I said no. He replied any particular reason? I just replied 'I don't want one' He thanked me and ended the call.

oldMohawk

master brummie
I have a telephone on which I can set all the people I want to receive calls from as VIPs with a special ringtone which tells me a 'VIP' is calling and I will pick up and answer. I let all other calls go to the answer phone and scammers usually ring off as soon as they hear the recorded answer phone message. Even though they don't leave messages I can look up their numbers in the call list and permanently block them.

Radiorails

master brummie
I have tried, unsuccessfully, to get my wife to agree to have a caller identification type 'phone.
I wonder if you can give some details of your 'phone, OM. I guess others are curious about it.

oldMohawk

master brummie
It is a BT8500 which I have had for at least 5 years. It is somewhat fiddly to program but works ok. You do of course need caller display which I thought I was paying for but just looking at a bill I get it 'free'. The are probably better phones than the one I have.

wam

master brummie
I`m also using Firefox but not in a private window, but like Postie said, if in doubt then either delete or close the tab & then reopen it, which is what i did. It might be a genuine request but not worth taking a chance. Scammers seem to be getting more sophisticated every day:mad:
Apparently the message is the result of a fault in Firefox. If you think you can't live with the fault see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1175046 which has some ideas of what to do.

Big Gee

master brummie
I had a call this morning from a female with an American accent claiming to be from BT, and telling me that my internet was going to be disconnected. I just hung up. The number's area code was 01258 which is Blandford Forum in Dorset. I then dialled the number (with 141 in front of it, of course) and was told that it is unobtainable. A quick look on the net showed that there are innumerable scam calls, all with 01258 but varying following numbers, originating from Blandford, claiming to be from BT, TalkTalk, etc., etc. Makes my blood boil.

G

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
I had a call this morning from a female with an American accent claiming to be from BT, and telling me that my internet was going to be disconnected. I just hung up. The number's area code was 01258 which is Blandford Forum in Dorset. I then dialled the number (with 141 in front of it, of course) and was told that it is unobtainable. A quick look on the net showed that there are innumerable scam calls, all with 01258 but varying following numbers, originating from Blandford, claiming to be from BT, TalkTalk, etc., etc. Makes my blood boil.

G
My wife gets these regularly during the week and they are constant, the Indian lady from BT saying the Internet is about to be cut off, the lady from Talk Talk with the same message, the latest one is the warrant for her arrest for non payment of tax which advises that someone is on their way to the house. I have tried a trace back on the numbers being used to find that they are unobtainable. Tried a call blocking phone, it blocked all the calls we wanted, but we still got the nuisance ones.......oh for the days of double glazing and PPI.
Bob

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
We don't get any scam calls here in eastern Crete, but plenty trying to sell us TV and various telecom deals. All of them are impossible with a broadband speed of 1.76 Mbps. I just ask them to check the location of the number their system has just dialled and if they still think they can provide the system they are selling, I'll see them tomorrow. The polite ones apologise, while the rest just put the phone down! :)

Maurice

Radiorails

master brummie
We have two mobile 'phones, which are only switched on when necessary - principally when one of us is not at home and needs to make contact or arrange picking up. They have never been internet connected, although I believe they can be.
They are a few years old, having been purchased just before the old Woolworth company closed down. They suit our needs.
I wonder, therefore, do these scams, mentioned in this thread, occur for mobile phone users or is it restricted to landlines?
There are text messages on our mobile phones but we have never read them. We are not into texting.

Smudger

master brummie
My wife gets these regularly during the week and they are constant, the Indian lady from BT saying the Internet is about to be cut off, the lady from Talk Talk with the same message, the latest one is the warrant for her arrest for non payment of tax which advises that someone is on their way to the house. I have tried a trace back on the numbers being used to find that they are unobtainable. Tried a call blocking phone, it blocked all the calls we wanted, but we still got the nuisance ones.......oh for the days of double glazing and PPI.
Bob
We never get unwanted phone calls. We`re with Talktalk & they offer (free) a "call safe" feature. Calls from people in your phone book can get straight thru, all other calls are intercepted & Talktalk will ask their identity & then ask you if you want to accept the call. Naturally the scammers just hang up. Lots of free stuff with Talktalk.:)

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
We have two mobile 'phones, which are only switched on when necessary - principally when one of us is not at home and needs to make contact or arrange picking up. They have never been internet connected, although I believe they can be.
They are a few years old, having been purchased just before the old Woolworth company closed down. They suit our needs.
I wonder, therefore, do these scams, mentioned in this thread, occur for mobile phone users or is it restricted to landlines?
There are text messages on our mobile phones but we have never read them. We are not into texting.
Alan
Firstly the good news, you are probably sitting on a fortune with your mobile phones, only because of the age and origin, if the Antiques Roadshow lot get a sight of them they will probably go wild with excitement (that was not the term that I was going to use, but then I remembered that this is a family programme). However joking aside my wife will love your post, she is very clever with her hands etc, but eschews modern technology because she does not trust it, however she has a mobile a Dorado clam shell pattern which is used for contact with the family and her sewing/craft friends, but she gets the occasional scam text on it. I have two phones, a Motorola Smart Phone and a Nokia works phone. On the former I get the occasional scam text and also calls from an 0161 number, same number every time, always asking for a different name, (the names have been male and female), but recently the same number has come up and it has been a PPi call. On the works phone, I get calls purporting to come from EE, the assumption that it is a smart phone and the internet/wifi or whatever is down and they will put it right authorised by Microsoft. What they do not realise is that it is only one step up from the original flying house brick. Texts? I have had a few (to the tune of My Way), but neither I or my wife can send a text (I still stipulate that it is a noun not a verb), but luckily I have slick fingered young employees who delight in sending my texts and for those who know what it means because our phone system terrestrial and mobile is networked through a system WHICH SHOWS A MOBILE NUMBER WHEN WE DIAL A MOBILE FROM THE LANDLINE (that is it my technical knowledge does not extend to explaining how) that landline can also receive SMS'es whatever they are. But you can get scam calls on mobiles and although our whole computer/telephone system is triple firewalled and all the rest of it the calls still slip through.
Bob

cookie273uk

master brummie
Old Mohawk, I have the follow on from you, BT8600, 1 main and 2 extensions. Somebody mentioned rent free caller display (normally about £3 a Quarter), it is rent free when you renew your contract, I have been with PO Telephones/BT since 1959 when I was a PO Engineer. Eric

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Alan,

I've had two mobile phones and never use them because I am deaf. They're also useless at home because he have a mountain between us and the mountain upon which the transmitting mast sits. Jan, my other half, was given an Erikson phone, by her son in Bahrain when he upgraded years ago. She calls it "The brick", but has since bought many replacements of the same model secondhand on eBay. It is fliptop like yours, but displays a proper keyboard in several languages including Greek. It works fine outside of the village and she loves it because she doesn't have to do multiple presses of a key to get the letter she wants. She's never connected it to the internet either.

Maurice

cookie273uk

master brummie
I have a basic large button 'old fogies' mobile, never used kept in my car in case I break down and need the AA, when I pack up motoring it will go in the bin. Eric

pjmburns

master brummie
Eric - if you have never used it then it possibly won't work. My Dad did the same and then discovered that because it had been unused for a period of time the company had "switched off" the number. He had to get a new number and now uses it every so often to phone a taxi (he no longer drives at 91) as he wants the phone for emergencies - such as when his landline went down.

cookie273uk

master brummie
Yes Janice found that out when my sister in Law tried to use it, had to have a new chip or something. She now uses it once a fortnight on our return car trip from shopping at Morrisons in Tamworth to call her Husband to give her a hand with the shopping (she lives in a 6th floor flat. Eric

Elmdon Boy

master brummie
With regards mobile phones on pay as you go, they apparently switch you of if you haven't used it within 3 months. This happened to me twice. Went into the ee shop and they kindly reconnected me. Now if I haven't used it for some time I just ring my land line, when I hear it ring I just hang up my mobile, apparently that's all you have to do and it doesn't cost you a thing.

With regards nuisance calls on my landline, I purchased a BT8500 call blocker phone, about £35 I think. You put in people and numbers you don't mind receiving, they can get through just like a normal phone, anybody else that rings and a voice will ask them to say there name, when they do give there name or company it will ring out, when you pick up the phone you will be told you have a call from...…….....then you will here the the recording of the voice of the person trying to contact you. You will then be given an option of pressing number 2 to speak to them, or another number to permanently block that number, or you can just hang up.
Nuisance callers generally don't give there name or company, so don't get through, doesn't even ring out. You can at any time press a button to see your call list, which lists all your calls in both directions with times, if its someone you know, name and number, and calls not allowed through with a number and an x by the side indicating a not allowed through number.
Nuisence calls are often international calls which states international call without a number plus the x meaning not allowed through.
Havent had any nuisance calls which I have lifted the receiver and spoke to for years.
Works for me, it even has a messaging service
Hope this doesn't sound complicated, it isn't , I'm a bit of a luddite and I can work it.
Hope this has been of some use.
I used to hate those calls

Y

oldMohawk

master brummie
As previously mentioned I also use a BT8500 (powered by truecall) and have not heard a scam call for years. The only thing I cannot do with it is see a list of all the numbers I've blocked.