• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Another SCAM

the silver fox

master brummie
I have just been told by Royal Mail of a potential very costly scam that is cropping-up.
If you receive a communication saying that you have an undelivered parcel to collect and asking you to telephone a particular number; DO NOT DO SO AS YOU WILL BE CHARGED OVER £100 AS SOON AS YOU DIAL IT.
Royal Mail will only tell you about undelivered mail with their own standard card, delivered to your letterbox - no ther way.
Stay vigilant.
Ted

B

BernardR

Please Note: The UK telephone system does not allow such a high charge - more like £1-50 max but will check this.

Full details of potential charges are HERE from PhonepayPlus (previously known as ICSTIS) which regulates premium rate (or phone-paid) services in the UK..

Last edited by a moderator:

the silver fox

master brummie
Thanks for that Bernie; a very useful website which gives all the various charge rates. As it states, calls to 091 numbers have no maximum rate per minute or total charge for the call. I was told by Royal Mail the charge being applied for the call is at least £110. This information/warning is being given to Posties who are having queries raised with them.
These 091 numbers with their completely open-ended charges are diabolical. There are plenty of what I consider 'scam numbers' starting with 0845, 087 and many more that trick the caller. I avoid these like the plague. Many people now have inclusive of call charges except these non-geographic codes, so making calls to these numbers means that you could well be paying twice for your calls.
Ted

guilbert53

master brummie
I have just been told by Royal Mail of a potential very costly scam that is cropping-up.
If you receive a communication saying that you have an undelivered parcel to collect and asking you to telephone a particular number; DO NOT DO SO AS YOU WILL BE CHARGED OVER £100 AS SOON AS YOU DIAL IT.
Royal Mail will only tell you about undelivered mail with their own standard card, delivered to your letterbox - no ther way.
Stay vigilant.Ted
Was it REALLY Royal Mail who told you, or did you perhaps just get an email ?

the silver fox

master brummie
The info that came to me was fresh that very day from Royal Mail, so presumably it's doing the rounds again. I had heard of it years ago but for the life of me I cannot see what harm it does to make more people aware of the reappearance.
Ted

guilbert53

master brummie
I had heard of it years ago but for the life of me I cannot see what harm it does to make more people aware of the reappearance.
Ted
Because most (if not all of these) are just not true and are scaremongering.

It is bad practice to send out an email (or post to a forum) with alarming text which says:
"DO NOT DO SO AS YOU WILL BE CHARGED OVER £100 AS SOON AS YOU DIAL IT"

When there is no way you can be charged £100 just by dialling one number. It is just not possible.

To be honest the period leading up to Christams is the worst, where people think just because they get an email about a scam it MUST be true,
when in fact the email has been circulating since 1999, and was not even true then.

A quick search on the internet will often show an email itself is a scam or junk mail.

the silver fox

master brummie
I am merely the messenger.
Guilbert, you clearly do not have much knowledge on this subject. Read the link that Colin posted and the one that Bernie posted too.
Also, who told you that postings like this one are bad practice? What is bad practice is saying that this is impossible when it clearly is not.
Before this gets any more ridiculous - this is my last word on the subject.
Ted

B

BernardR

Gently does it guys - I have made a request to @Royalmail on Twitter for an update.

leonardjob

Great Russell St
I agree, I always look at Snopes and find most of these Scares are largely unfounded. and they circulate at the speed of light. I remember once my mother coming home from work so upset cos a friend had been told about a young boy being mutilated in New st Station toilets. Everyone knew someone that this had happened to. The police had to go on TV to say it was false.

tali

master brummie
This scam number i assume is registered to a company -or they have the power of invisibility to act fraudently?
And besides any sane Phone provider would reimburse no ifs or buts any victim as soon as customer complains.

Smudger

master brummie
"Gah, your tabs just crashed Please provide information so we can solve this problem" This has happened 4 times in the last two days & i have not supplied any info as this feels like a scam. It`s happened on the same website, "Offer of the day" No other websites affected. Is it a scam?

Ray T

master brummie
"Gah, your tabs just crashed Please provide information so we can solve this problem" This has happened 4 times in the last two days & i have not supplied any info as this feels like a scam. It`s happened on the same website, "Offer of the day" No other websites affected. Is it a scam?
Hello, Smudger,

I've never seen that one. I don't even know what it means, so it looks very dodgy to me. Is it supposed to come from Microsoft or the owner of the website? Either way, it's probably bogus, trying to get you to click a link.

Regards, Ray T.

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
This sounds like scam, the sort that is known as ransom ware, if you click on the link it will lock down your computer and ask for money to unlock it.
If you get any kind of message that you're not sure about, 100% , DON'T open it and DELETE, DELETE , DELETE.
Stay safe out there...

Big Gee

master brummie
This happens occasionally on Firefox Private Window, which I use all the time now. It only occurs when I have more than one tab open, which I usually do, but so far as I know I've never been asked to supply any information to Firefox. I just close the tab and re-open it later. It doesn't happen on any particular website, by the way.

G

Smudger

master brummie
This happens occasionally on Firefox Private Window, which I use all the time now. It only occurs when I have more than one tab open, which I usually do, but so far as I know I've never been asked to supply any information to Firefox. I just close the tab and re-open it later. It doesn't happen on any particular website, by the way.

G
I`m also using Firefox but not in a private window, but like Postie said, if in doubt then either delete or close the tab & then reopen it, which is what i did. It might be a genuine request but not worth taking a chance. Scammers seem to be getting more sophisticated every day:mad:

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
Have had 4 phone calls from 'TalkTalk' (not) today telling me (in an American accent) that my internet service will be disconnected today and I should press 1 to get further details. Although I am able to block certain callers, each of these calls came from a different number so blocking is not an option. Time something was done to stop these pests.

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
Have had 4 phone calls from 'TalkTalk' (not) today telling me (in an American accent) that my internet service will be disconnected today and I should press 1 to get further details. Although I am able to block certain callers, each of these calls came from a different number so blocking is not an option. Time something was done to stop these pests.
My wife who does not use a computer takes 2 to 3 of these calls per day, she will be delighted when I tell her someone else is getting them. Unfortunately she is to well brought up to tell them to go away. The interesting thing is they are as you say an American (not Filipino American)n accent. Glad, but sorry of course, that someone else is suffering.
Bob

Smudger

master brummie
If you`re on Talktalk, you can use their call safe feature, where Talktalk ask if you want to accept the call. Calls from anyone listed on your phone contacts will not be intercepted.;)

geofred

master brummie
I must have had at least half a dozen of these calls in the past two weeks 'advising' me that my internet connection was to be closed/compromised. All calls have been made from different numbers, all recorded and all by a female but, not the same accent. I either tell her to 'go away' or think 'tis their dime and leave the handset on loudspeaker until the operator announces that 'the other party has cleared'. I can see how some folk would be taken in and follow the instructions. Handset usually replaced with the remarks that there are some scum on this earth!!!!!