• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cardrome Coventry Road

rich1234

Brummie babby
Hey all

firstly a big thank you to all those who have me info on my other recent post asking for info on evans and kitchen

i have another help and info request that id like to put out there .

Does anyone know any info or have pictures of BIRMINGHAM CARDROME , who were on the coventry road down in small heath in the 70s .

they were a side buisness to bristol street motors .

id love to see a pic if theres one out there somewhere?

thanks in advance

rich

Is this the place you are talking about, or is it too early?

Phil

Attachments

• Hay Mills Coventry Rd Bristol St Motors 1976.JPG
    Hay Mills Coventry Rd Bristol St Motors 1976.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 127
Hey Phil,

Cheers for the pic but I don't think that that is the particular garage I'm looking for ,

Birmingham cardrome was at 426-434 coventry road which was and still is a 2 story building , it's now a collection of shop fronts but I believe when it was the cardrome is was a large 2 story building which had the high quality cars on the lower floor with the lesser cars on the first floor ,

My dad bought his 1973 mg midget from there in 1974 , it was in the front window of the building

I understand that although owned by Bristol street motors it was just known as Birmingham cardrome , and sold all marques rather than just ford

However all the info I have is from my dad as I cant find any info about it anywhere !

Cheers

Rich

Hi rich and phil
i think the place rich is on about is just before that garage phil and it was oppersite the old walfare
that garage being the picture of the one you have put up for show
i think it was the corner facing glover street but the old walfare centre was most definately facing the cardromer
and the two story block rich is on about still stands it as been a big function rooms for as far back as i can remember
i can not think of the name of the building they called it after its use for cars by the harry and maurice cresswell the two brothers
whom formed and founded bristol street motors where they formed and started there little empire of a show room
on bristol street motors whom may i add my little bit of info did work for them in my early years of life
and i was the little braison kid to walk into the office and asked them for a pay rise
the shop work force thought i was crazy to walk over to his office and asked for a pay rise ;theguys he had working for them;
for years said you have no chance but i took them on and bold over to the office and all the guyscouldsee me through his office window
and i could see them ; i asked and i got a 3 penny rise fopr my cheek they could not beleive it ;
and i was the topic for weeks within the company ; another six weeks later i went back into the office
and asked to give me a reference forjoining up in the warickshire reg; and yes they gave me one and wished me the best ;
but any way getting back to keegs request; the building became a function hall for meeting
and the lat councilor dickie knowels was always attending offficial meeting there way back in time
years later after his death ; it was sold again to the asian function meeting roome
where upon right up until day they still own it and carry out wedding for the asian commutity there today ;
i do not know the name of the buildingbut it is still there same block same site postion ;
and comng up from hay mills its just past that gaage you have shown ;
have a nice day phil and every body else astonian

I bought a MGB from Cardrome back in 1966, probably the best car I ever bought. Seem to remember that there was a ramp inside which allowed cars to be driven up to the upper floor.

rich

I think I've got a handle on it now,426-434 Coventry Rd starting at the corner of Watt rd, I believe it's an Islamic Centre now and before that it was a Go Cart racing centre I can't remember the name, but I'm sure someone else will. I'm almost certain that the building is on the far left of this photo.

Attachments

• Small Heath Coventry Rd (8).jpg
    Small Heath Coventry Rd (8).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 109
phil, i was just about to post the same photo as found it on another site , thats the building in the far left of the picture!!looks like it was the cardrome when that pic was taken

Yes phil;
thats the name of the street i could not think of and the welfare centre was facing it across the cov rd as i said ;
and yes i was telling you it was a function meeting hall before the asian commutity
like you i cannot recall the dammed name the hall; but it was a banqueting hall before the asian bought it ;
glad i got that right for once ; astonian

Hi Brummy Babby. I don't know if you're still interested in any information on RJ Evans and Kitchen. I've just joined the Birmingham History website and noticed that you'd asked for details about the company. My dad worked for Evans and Kitchen for many years after the war, right up to its sale in the seventies. I also had a Saturday and holiday job there for many years, so I have a lot of information on the company. Sadly no photos- which is what I'm searching for and no memorabilia. It's a pity because as a kid I had dozens of Evans and Kitchen key rings and tax disc holders. Let me know if you want any more information about the company.

Can I add another one? As I have posted elsewhere my old motor, which is still with me, came from a garage called Frank Moseley (Auto Sales and Service) Ltd, Cope Street, in 1964. I will try to find a picture, which I have somewhere, of the garage, but I know nothing else about them.

Thanks Maurice,

I found some pictures of Cope Street, it’s a very nondescript looking garage and Cope Street looks a bit down at heel, but there are two Armstrong Siddeley Sapphires and a Lancaster in the pictures so Frank must have done some trade.

Frank M lived in Grange Rd Kings Norton, in a house called “Claerwen” so must have been doing passably well. My car’s history reads like a Brum directory, supplied new by George Heath to Leonard Leigh Ltd of Hockley, then Moseley, then a firm of brass founders in W. Brom, then Moseley again, then to my family member, also in Kings Norton, finally to me. Not many owners in 67 years!

Last edited:
i remember the cardrome. every time ford brought out a new car.we had an invitation to the showroom for a cheese and wine.night. because my brother bought a Ford consul classic off them. we called the wine chateau sump, it was cheap plonk.
but we drank it all the same:grinning:

Used to deliver cars for Bristol S Motors in Broad St.in the 70s delivered one of the first New Style Grenades down to a Co in London Colney down the M1.
Felt like a millionaire the amount of looks I had cruising at 50 on the M1

Hey all

firstly a big thank you to all those who have me info on my other recent post asking for info on evans and kitchen

i have another help and info request that id like to put out there .

Does anyone know any info or have pictures of BIRMINGHAM CARDROME , who were on the coventry road down in small heath in the 70s .

they were a side buisness to bristol street motors .

id love to see a pic if theres one out there somewhere?

thanks in advance
Hi, I worked there from the day it opened - one of the 14 salesmen. The building took up a whole block and was 3 storeys high with a car lift between floors. The ground and 1st floor were sales with the top floor for servicing and valeting the Sales cars. Initially the boss was a Mr Tom Oakes who once sent me home on a Saturday (the best selling day) for being 5 minutes late! not the first time my persistent lateness occurred, I was made an example of . . . I still have my salesman's badge somewhere.
A number of promotions took me through 14 years with BSM.

Hi, I worked there from the day it opened - one of the 14 salesmen. The building took up a whole block and was 3 storeys high with a car lift between floors. The ground and 1st floor were sales with the top floor for servicing and valeting the Sales cars. Initially the boss was a Mr Tom Oakes who once sent me home on a Saturday (the best selling day) for being 5 minutes late! not the first time my persistent lateness occurred, I was made an example of . . . I still have my salesman's badge somewhere.
A number of promotions took me through 14 years with BSM.
1591795066252.png

Evans and Kitchen was founded by two partners, RJ Evans and a Mr Kitchen whose initials I don't know. When I worked there, RJ (as the was called) was still there as as the senior partner with Peter Kitchen (son of the founder) as the junior partner. I remember Peter Kitchen had a car with an original Birmingham registration number - 0 6. The new car showroom was on the Horsefair. in Hurst street was the garage with the petrol pumps (Esso) and then the workshops which stretched right through to Inge Street. On the other side of Inge Street was the Stores and Spares department, where mechanics would send hapless new apprentices for a packet of sparks, a tin of striped paint or a left-handed screwdriver.

The company also had a showroom on the Coventry Road (Ashley Garage) one somewhere around Haunch lane (my memory is a bit vague here) and one in Wythall. In my years working there part-time in weekend and holiday jobs (as well as full time before going to university) I worked at all the showrooms in a variety of jobs. I started in Hurst St as a car cleaner working with my dad, who by this time had risen from the ranks of forecourt attendant to the dizzy heights of second-hand car salesman in a small showroom in Hurst St called "The Mini Showroom." Evans and Kitchen sold Austin, then BMC, then British Leyland and then finally Rover Group cars. During my years there, the company taught me to drive, taught me all the process of car sales, registration and maintenance. One of my favourite jobs was to register all new cars in Oozels St. I delivered cars all over the country and used to replace the car salesman who were on their holidays in the summer. I even began to deal in second hand cars myself, buying trade-ins, running them for a while and then selling them on at a profit.

In the seventies, RJ sold the business to PJ Evans on Bristol Street

I loved the life and the experience Evans and Kitchen offered me and all the fun and banter with the car salesmen, as well as all the locals in Hurst St, the surrounding area and the markets nearby. These were people who got by on their wits, never knowing from one week to the next what their income (if any) would be. I learned a lot at university and it gave me a qualification which allowed me to have a very rewarding career, but I think that my formative years at Evans and Kitchen taught me all about life and I cherish the memories of that happy time.

Thanks Maurice,

I found some pictures of Cope Street, it’s a very nondescript looking garage and Cope Street looks a bit down at heel, but there are two Armstrong Siddeley Sapphires and a Lancaster in the pictures so Frank must have done some trade.

Frank M lived in Grange Rd Kings Norton, in a house called “Claerwen” so must have been doing passably well. My car’s history reads like a Brum directory, supplied new by George Heath to Leonard Leigh Ltd of Hockley, then Moseley, then a firm of brass founders in W. Brom, then Moseley again, then to my family member, also in Kings Norton, finally to me. Not many owners in 67 years!
Don't see many garages with a Lancaster on the forecourt or is that a typo? perhaps a Lanchester.

Don't see many garages with a Lancaster on the forecourt or is that a typo? perhaps a Lanchester.
The Lancaster was an Armstrong Siddeley model produced from 1946 to 1952, alongside the Hurricane drophead coupé, the Typhoon fixed head coupé, and the later Whitley saloon. All the cars were named after the aircraft that the company’s associated works produced during WW2.

A further look at the two tone saloon suggests that it is not a Lancaster, but more likely a Whitley, since the boot lid has twin handles.

Last edited:
Back