• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Another former Midland Red Garage to Close

horsencart

master brummie
Yet another former Midland Red Garage is to close some time over the next few months the garage is Coalville I do not yet have a date for the date it is to close, the rumours are the the next one may? be Tamworth? another link with Midland Red transport history to go

I wouldn't be surprised if it is Tamworth, another nail in the coffin of the town centre - no doubt they will build starter homes for the unmarried moms or ethnics or it will just rot away!
Tamworth is fast becoming a ghost town, fine if you want cards or mobile phones!!
Sue

I believe that Stafford closed the other week. Although not an orgiinal Midland Red depot, that burned down years ago its still shows that no depot is safe. Up here in North Wales, Ariiva has just anounced that Llandudno Junction depot is closing in May. Outstation to be situated, possibly within the Llandudno Railway Station (Arriva Trains Wales) The main routes from ' Junction being opperated from Rhyl and Bangor. More jobs to be lost.

Are you certain about Stafford Bus Garage now being closed I have not heard anything?

I believe that Stafford closed the other week. Although not an orgiinal Midland Red depot, that burned down years ago its still shows that no depot is safe. Up here in North Wales, Ariiva has just anounced that Llandudno Junction depot is closing in May. Outstation to be situated, possibly within the Llandudno Railway Station (Arriva Trains Wales) The main routes from ' Junction being opperated from Rhyl and Bangor. More jobs to be lost.

I was told the other night that Stafford had closed. Perhaps someone on the forum could confirm this.

It depends what you mean by closed.Stafford garage is now worked as an outstation of Cannock garage ,but around 20 buses (dennis Darts I think ) remain on part of the premises to work Stafford town services.Out of town services are now run from garages at Cannock.Telford and Burton.It is likely that Arriva will find smaller premises in the area in due course.

There are now two more former Midland Red garage too close they are Wellington ( may close in June) and Shewsbury (no date known ) I have to add hat I have only heard rumours about the closures Coalville has recently closed

It depends what you mean by closed.Stafford garage is now worked as an outstation of Cannock garage ,but around 20 buses (dennis Darts I think ) remain on part of the premises to work Stafford town services.Out of town services are now run from garages at Cannock.Telford and Burton.It is likely that Arriva will find smaller premises in the area in due course.

Again, Coalville is reduced to an outstation,I presume of Thurmaston, but around 11 buses (7 Darts and 4 DAF SB200 ) remain in the town for local routes,presently at the side of the garage,but again,smaller premises (probably an open yard) are being sought.
Incidentally,the report in the forum recently about Llandudno Junction garage closing ,is,I am assured, just a rumour,but.......who knows.
I did not know about Wellington and Shrewsbury,but surely the sheer size of both of these would mean alternative garages being opened in both places.
This process of garages being closed/replaced will surely continue as local authority subsidies are reduced.

As with Coalville, Llandudno Junction is to be an outstation serving Llandudno and Colwyn Bay. The 12 service, Laandudno to Rhyl transferes to Rhyl on the 21st of this month .the 13's later in the year when Rhyl has been enlarged enough to take the extra buses. The 5's have already gone to Bangor with the 19's to follow in due coarse. The Depot and Head Office is up for sale and smaller premises are being sought, probably an open yard, in Llandudno. It is roumored that a new Head Office and work shops are to be built adjacent to the Rhyl depot.

Thanks for the Llandudno Junction information,I keep hearing conflicting versions.From your comments LJ outstation will only be left with the 14,15 25 73 and open top work.By the way,you don't happen to have a list of current Arriva Cymru outstations,with approx number of vehicles at each ,do you .Thanks again.

There is no open top work at Ll J now, the only open tops are at Rhyl. I will see if i can find out the allocations at the outstations for you. I start back at Rhyl full time tomorrow, after being made redundant from my vocational training job, due to goverment funding cut backs.

Back