• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Another Bus Location

Not really familiar with the PTE, however, I will take a shot at this in that I have the suspicion that this is early in the PTE's existence when maybe they were short of buses, having replaced Walsall's trolleybuses with diesel buses. I also have the idea that route 205 would be in the Black Country.

At a guess. it looks like Newton Road, late 60's early 70's. Great image by the way.

I'm reading the suffix to the car reg as 'G' which makes it 1968 or post 68. The Hansons [Brewery] sign suggests Wolverhampton or Dudley areas. Not my area of knowledge except for occasional use of the Wolverhampton New Road.

I can't even recognise the make/model of car.:(

Alright. The one behind is a Beetle. Before anyone suggests.:)

I'm reading the suffix to the car reg as 'G' which makes it 1968 or post 68. The Hansons [Brewery] sign suggests Wolverhampton or Dudley areas. Not my area of knowledge except for occasional use of the Wolverhampton New Road.

It looks like a Hillman Minx - with 4 bags of cement in the boot.

Hillman minx

There was a Hansons Brewery in Dudley so maybe all we have to do is find a garage which had a Hansons pub or hotel next to it ... :)

I did try looking up the 205 route and it did seem to be a Black Country route which ties in with Hansons.

Last edited:
It's on a main road, dual carriageway, but there are 91 Julia Hanson pubs in a list I have just looked at ... :)

Well, it is one of my images, but the negatives were separated, and so I cannot now work out location (and this is the negative). It was taken, in 1975, I recall and probably on the same day as this 120 bus route image.

100421.jpg

The destination indicator of ROK 470M confirms the Dudley connection. I'm not an expert on bus routes but one list shows the 205 was possibly Dudley to Blackheath.

Birmingham Road, Dudley, perhaps?

The chimmneys and frontage of the 'Hansons' property look very similar.

I did also wonder if it was Birmingham Road, but was thinking it is too straight. Now seeing your google maps street view image, I think you are spot on.

Birmingham Road, Dudley, perhaps?

The chimmneys and frontage of the 'Hansons' property look very similar.
Yes you have found it ...
So Heartland now knows where he was when he took his photo all those years ago ... :grinning:

Yes you have found it ...
So Heartland now knows where he was when he took his photo all those years ago ... :grinning:
I do hope so. It is frightening how much the built environment changes over the years. I doubt if anything survives of the background to 'our other bus'!

I do hope so. It is frightening how much the built environment changes over the years. I doubt if anything survives of the background to 'our other bus'!
In 1950 there were tennis courts where the Esso petrol station would later be built. Opposite the hotel appears to be an unfenced bowling green which people were apparently using as a short-cut.
BusLoc1950.jpg
image from 'britainfromabove'

In 1950 there were tennis courts where the Esso petrol station would later be built. Opposite the hotel appears to be an unfenced bowling green which people were apparently using as a short-cut.
And the road was a single carriageway!

Back