• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Another Baskerville House

wam

master brummie
Walking down Hurst Street and looking across an expanse of ground that had recently been demolished I saw something I hadn't noticed before. There is a building called Baskerville House on Barford Street.
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.471...4!1s_CgD8lxTmZb4DoD6PzEZKw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
I must have walked past it hundreds of times and either never noticed the name or just never looked up that high. From old directories it was a Wireworks in the 50s and 60s and a city transport depot in the 30s and 40s but the building soesn't seem suited to either of those and it seems odd that someone should put that name on a building after that.
It was still there a couple of weeks ago although it seems to be abandoned.

Looks like a relatively modern sign to me (at least post-1970s) the letters could be attached to a board. Perhaps there was another name underneath that. I expect the name Baskerville House was used on this building whilst the name ‘Civic Centre’ was still in use for the building in Centenary Square. Viv.

Last edited:
Back