• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Annie Williams.

Thanks mws. iwas going to do it the other way round and send of to worcester. I never looked for annies birth, i took for granted what it said on the census. Lessons to be learnt there.

If it is her in 1915 then ive got further in the last 3 hours than i have in the last 10 years. It puts her in worcester with the rest of the family.But why they ended up there in such a tiny little hamlet i will never know.

rob ive found out that many porkies and cover ups went on back in the day...ie on the 1911 census my gt grandparents are down as being married for 10 years but ive got their marr cert here and they marr in 1910 lol..no wonder i couldnt find them either together or seperate on the 1901..then i found 4 baptisms for children born before 1911...must have dodged the 1901 census or maybe just missed off but the bapts were all for frankfort st....bet they never thought back then that over 100 years later they would be found out..then ive got my gt gt grandfather the bigamist..he led me a merry dance...got both of his marriage certs...all great fun:D

Last edited:
If it is her in 1915 then ive got further in the last 3 hours than i have in the last 10 years. It puts her in worcester with the rest of the family.But why they ended up there in such a tiny little hamlet i will never know.

As neither James or Amelia appear to have family there, the most likely reason is work. In the early 1900s my grandfather moved from Bham to Purton in Gloucs for work.

And if it was Worcester itself they moved to, in 1911 the population was more than forty thousand.

lyn the reason i couldnt find annie was that on the 1891 census Amelia veness was Amelia Williams but the rest of the family were called smith. so had no idea she was married with children when she met James Rowles.
mws They moved to Cothridge between worcester and bromyard population 30---------- only joking but ive been there and there was just afew cottages and the ones they lived in were primitive compared to what they left behind in Birmingam, he would have earnt less as a farm labourer than in a steel mill in Birmingham.

Maybe they moved because of their situation then. With her husband in the workhouse would Amelia have some legal responsibility for him?

So many mysteries.

I doubt it if she left her children, my first thoughts were that annie may have been pregnant and they went there to cover it up but now i know that annie was 22 years of age --------------well.not likely. btw i knew annie she was my aunt a very dainty lady she was only about 4ft 8ins she allways looked very old to me when i was a child.

i guessed you may have knew annie rob..if she died in the 80s you must have been an adult when you knew her?? did she not pass on any family secrets to the family ie where she was living in 1911:D

btw rob i have a friend who lives in bromyard..

No Lyn, at that time i had no idea that she was a step aunt (is that the right term) or that i was a first generation brummie. From the time that i new her she allways lived in or around dean st area of town.
Re your friend in Bromyard, ask her to pop up to Cothridge and sort it out for me lol.

ahh right rob i see...well this is certainly a toughie...i am still looking for annie on the 1911...i reckon she was hiding somewhere:D

Im back with Annie again. could anyone look to see if there were any children from the marrage of Annie, Ann Williams mmn Veness and James P Drinkwater in 1915 Worcseter. Thanks Robert.

:D and my brain is fried due to this heat rob i cant concentrate.:Dwill have a better look in the morning..

well thee was some drinkwaters living in aston church lane next to postand paint and the kitte cafe in the very eary years of that period
as old as he was the little fella in height and he was clocking on in age
and worked at the bromford rolling mills as a draw bench assistant he was there for donkey years
Astonian,,,

Back