• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Annie Nolan, 4 Court Staniforth St, Birmingham

Please would you give us any dates to help us with a time frame.
Also if you are looking for info we can look up or just personal memories (that would be a long shot).
Thanks

My nan was born in 1907, dad Peter Nolan, mom Harriet and siblings are Harriet, Elizabeth and Mary. My nan married Thomas Need on 15 March 1924

Last edited:
A map showing Court 4, Staniforth Street (1889), your nan certainly didn't have to walk far to get to school!

Attachments

• ct4-staniforth-st.jpg
    ct4-staniforth-st.jpg
    867.1 KB · Views: 9
My nan was born in 1907, dad Pater Nolan, mom Harriet and siblings are Harriet, Elizabeth and Mary. My nan married Thomas Need on 15 March 1924
So far I can tell you that on the 1939 register Thomas and Annie were living 3/65 New John Street, Birmingham. Annie was born on 4 December 1906. Thomas 9 November 1905 - a Builders Labourer. There are two children listed Ronald (1926) and Peter James (1932. The third child is closed.

On the 1911 census Annie is living with her parents and sister's Harriet, Elizabeth and Mary. Also two boarders William and Sarah Hemmings. They are living at 15 court. 4 House, Staniforth Street, Birmingham. They have 3 rooms (so a bit of a squash!) Peter was born in Dudley. They do appear on the 1921 census but if you wish to see the record it will cost £2.50.
Do you think there were more children? The 1921 has 9 people on the record

Thank you so much, I am trying to find more information on my nan, Annie Nolan, I believe her roots are in Ireland

Ann Nolan's great grandparents, Peter and Alice Nolan were born in Ireland. Her grandfather, James Nolan, was born in Manchester and her father, Peter Nolan, was born in Dudley.

Her father, Peter was born in Dudley in about 1861. according to the 1911 census, however I can only find a birth registration in Birmingham in 1859 and in 1861 Harriet, his wife was born in Birmingham abt 1875, the four girls were all born in Birmingham.

Peter Nolan married Harriet Whitney in 1902 in Birmingham.

I have a friend with the surname Nolan, his family are Irish. So if you can find Peter's birth maybe you can trace his parents back to Ireland. However, if Peter's parents names were Peter and Mary, they too were both born in Birmingham.

Also Ann's grandmother's parents were Irish. Grandmother, Ann Darrow, was born in Stockport and great grandparents, William and Fanny were born in Ireland.

It appears that Peter and Harriet were both married previously. Peter possibly to an Elizabeth Tuckley, can't see a registration though, and Harriet (Davis) to a Reynold James Whitney.

So far I can tell you that on the 1939 register Thomas and Annie were living 3/65 New John Street, Birmingham. Annie was born on 4 December 1906. Thomas 9 November 1905 - a Builders Labourer. There are two children listed Ronald (1926) and Peter James (1932. The third child is closed.

Do you think there were more children? The 1921 has 9 people on the record
There seem to be 5 possible children - all reg with mmn Nolan
1643817404747.png
Thomas, I think died, in 1925 (there is a tree on Ancestry which suggests he is Thomas Albert but I found that registered with a different mmn).
Andrew would have been born after 1939 reg
Veronica is presumably the child blanked out.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, I am trying to find more information on my nan, Annie Nolan, I believe her roots are in Ireland
If they are then research might prove difficult - most records which exist are church records ad early Irish census records no longer exist - or so I have been led to believe.

On 1911 census this is the address
1643820026810.png
This is court 15 and house 4.
1920 eroll
1643820182264.png
The a indicates an absent voter (ie possibly in the forces)

1922 eroll
1643820303742.png

By 1925 Harriet is the only voter listed.

Last edited:
It appears that Peter and Harriet were both married previously. Peter possibly to an Elizabeth Tuckley, can't see a registration though, and Harriet (Davis) to a Reynold James Whitney.
On 1881 census Peter is listed as son in law to Selina Hutton. Selina Hutton was formerly Selina Tuckley.
There are also 2 grandchildren one registered as Hutton with mmn Tuckley. The other Hutton but I haven't found a birth.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Yes, her daughter Elizabeth I think he 'marries'.

I wondered if the children were actually Selina's after her husband had died, probably too old to be Elizabeth's.

Too old to be Elizabeths but I haven't found a reg for the older one (James). It does list Elizabeth as Nolan but also has her down, I think, as S for single. Very confusing.

Sorry, got a little mixed up. I think possible the two young children are just listed incorrectly.

Selina was married previously. She was born Selina Horrell and married firstly William Tuckley then James Hutton.

James birth is reg. Dec 1875 Aston mmn Horwell. Selina reg with mmn Tuckley instead of Horrell (or variation) is not uncommon.

Doesn't explain Elizabeth being listed as single though.

Back