• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Anne St. (Now Colmore Row)

R

RayD

First picture shows the site where the Council House now stands.

Second one is a view down Anne St. towards the Town Hall, which is just about visible.

The land for the Council House was purchased for *‚*£33,000 in 1853.

Bit before our time, but interesting just the same....

Attachments

• City Ann St site of Council House.jpg
    City Ann St site of Council House.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 3
  • City Ann St 1867 toward town hall.jpg
    City Ann St 1867 toward town hall.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
If we were whisked back a hundred years we wouldn't know where we were. I don't know another city that has lost as many old buildings as our Brum. Even my nearest little town of Huntingdon still has the same roof line now as it did in the 19th century, and a lot of buildings much older. Cromwells birthplace and the school where Samuel Pepys spent some of his school days. We haven't even got our Railway stations.

Moaning over. Thanks for the photo's Ray.

Wonderfull stuff these pictures mean a lot to people who are familiar with the area. Wow, I have only been on this site for a week or two and already I have learned so much about the history of Brum in pictures.

Back