• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Anne Heywood (Violet Pretty) Book Project

Christopher Weedman

Brummie babby
My name is Dr. Christopher Weedman and I'm a professor of Film Studies at Kutztown University of Pennsylvania in the United States. I'm working with Birmingham-born actress Anne Heywood (originally named Violet Pretty) on a book about her career. A chapter of the book will focus on her early life growing up in Erdington.

Ms. Heywood has shared stories of her time growing up during World War II, as well as her years at Fentham Road Secondary Modern School for Girls and working as an usherette at the Palace Cinema in Erdington.

However, I would like to be able to flesh out this chapter with memories and additional details from people that knew her during this time. I would also be interested in locating more clippings and photos for the book project.

If anyone can help in any way, please feel free to respond to this thread or e-mail me at [email protected]

My mailing address is:

Dr. Christopher Weedman
P.O. Box 85
Slatedale, Pennsylvania 18079
U.S.A.

Hello Christopher
In my lineage their is a Violet Pretty but I have never had any success in making good progress to sort the line out. I have come across the surname Barnett who I thought was a grand parent of the Violet Pretty born in Birmingham.
Sorry not to be the bearer of better news. Violet Pretty is not a common name.
Best wishes...Gerald
Garden Gerald.

I expect you have this, though it might stir memories of others, but electoral rolls show Violet Elizabeth & Harold James Pretty lived with Elizabeth Sophia Bennett at 232 Aston lane in 1930 and Violet & James at 142 Shaftmoor Lane in 1939. The Aston Lane building is still there and visable on google earth

Hi Mike. The Shaftmoor Lane connection would take them to Hall Green. Number 142 is only 0.3 miles from what was called York Road Primary School, at the corner of Russell Road and York Road. If Violet Elizabeth was 8 or 9 years in 1939 then she might have attended there. The school is now called Yorkmead. Dave.

I remember my late father saying the actress Anne Heywood lived in Bleak Hill Road, Erdington, near where my grandparents lived (Dad's family were in Barnet Road) but I don't think he knew her - she would have been six years younger.

My Dad worked at the Co-op on Stockland Green and often went to the Palace in Erdington. He told me all about her. He pointed out the block of houses where she lived in Bleak Hill Road but I don't know the exact one. The houses are still there so I could take a photo if its needed.

I expect you have this, though it might stir memories of others, but electoral rolls show Violet Elizabeth & Harold James Pretty lived with Elizabeth Sophia Bennett at 232 Aston lane in 1930 and Violet & James at 142 Shaftmoor Lane in 1939. The Aston Lane building is still there and visable on google earth

Thank you for this detail, Mike! Do you know where I might find access to the electoral roles? Are they available online? Best regards, Christopher.

My Dad worked at the Co-op on Stockland Green and often went to the Palace in Erdington. He told me all about her. He pointed out the block of houses where she lived in Bleak Hill Road but I don't know the exact one. The houses are still there so I could take a photo if its needed.

Hi Lady Penelope! Actually, a kind person from the area already sent me photos of the houses, but I greatly appreciate your offer. Best regards, Christopher.

My mother, who lived off Turfpits Lane Short Heath, told me she was friends with a girl called Violet Pretty who lived on Bleak Hill Road. She said it was one of the houses on the left from Short Heath Road just before the allotments.

I recall mom saying that Violet became a film star.

My mother, who lived off Turfpits Lane Short Heath, told me she was friends with a girl called Violet Pretty who lived on Bleak Hill Road. She said it was one of the houses on the left from Short Heath Road just before the allotments.

I recall mom saying that Violet became a film star.

Thanks Morturn! By any chance, is your mother still living? If so, do you think she would be interested in sharing some memories for the book that Anne Heywood (a.k.a. Violet Pretty) and I are working on together? I talked to Anne earlier this week about her memories of growing up in Birmingham, but other memories and perspectives would be welcome. Best regards, Christopher.

Thanks Morturn! By any chance, is your mother still living? If so, do you think she would be interested in sharing some memories for the book that Anne Heywood (a.k.a. Violet Pretty) and I are working on together? I talked to Anne earlier this week about her memories of growing up in Birmingham, but other memories and perspectives would be welcome. Best regards, Christopher.

Hi Christopher, unfortunately, she passed away four years ago, taking with her some quite remarkable stories of Birmingham past. Thank for your interest

Last edited:
My name is Dr. Christopher Weedman and I'm an Assistant Professor of Film Studies in the Department of English at Middle Tennessee State University in the United States. Back in 2016, I posted this thread about a biography that I'm writing on actress and Erdington native Anne Heywood (born Violet Pretty). The manuscript is still in development, but, thankfully, close to completion.

In recent months, I have had a few people track me down from the Birmingham area to share their remembrances of Anne (Violet) for the book. However, I moved a few years ago and, I believe, people were still trying to contact me at my old email and mailing address, which I neglected to update here. As a result, I waned to share my new contact details in case anyone still wanted to contact me to share memories, photos, clippings, or details about her years in Erdington.

My new contact address is:

Dr. Christopher Weedman
1114 Whitehall Road
Murfreesboro, TN 37130
U.S.A.

Email: [email protected]

Again, many thanks to those who have already gotten in touch. Anne (Violet) and I are very appreciative of everyone who has helped. I'm still in the process of trying to find photos of Anne (Violet) from her early years in Erdington, including photos of when she was a schoolgirl at the Fentham Road Secondary Modern School for Girls. Feel free to get in touch if you have anything that might be useful.

Kindest regards,

Christopher

Hi Christopher, a member of the forum has just pointed me in your direction.

I'm not sure I can be of any real help to you, but you might be interested to know that my mom and her sister, Joan, knew Violet from Fentham School in Erdington. My mom passed a couple of years ago, and her brothers and sisters many years previous, but the story is that my mom knew Violet because she was her elder sister, Joan's, school friend. Violet apparently visited my mom's house on occasion.

There was my mom, Margaret Mason born 1934, her sister Joan Mason born 1932, and their brother Peter Mason born 1930. They lived at 32 Ilsley Road, Erdington.

I assume they would have been at school together between around 1940-45.

Do you think Violet would remember them... remember this far back?

Hello, my Mum Audrey neé Allcock lived at 140 Bleakhill Rd, with her parents Mary Ann ( nicknamed Polly) & Dad Albert Allcock, also her sister Beryl & brother Norman.
Audrey ( my Mum was born in April 1928 so would have been 3yrs 8 months older than Violet).
Mum talked about Violet Pretty who became Ann Heywood. She definitely lived down the hill from them at the lower end of Bleakhill road. Violet would walk past their house on the way up the hill. Mum's sister Beryl went to Fentham rd school, but was born in February 1920 ,as 11 years older she would not have been at school with her, but may have known Beryl Allcock if passing in the street ( Beryl also now also passed away). Norman was older again , would have been 16 years older than Violet.
Mum said she had the impression that Violet thought herself a bit better than the rest and felt destined for better things. I think she had the impression that Violet became rather aloof. Mary Ann (Polly) Allcock my grandma was a down to earth loving person but would not have been impressed by someone who developed air & graces.
I have a family photo of my Mum & her sister Beryl in the fields behind Bleakhill road , probably taken about 1930 which became built on as Knighton Crescent in about 1936. Names on the back written by my grandma & then the extra details by my late Mum.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230205-114256.jpg
    Screenshot_20230205-114256.jpg
    977.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230205-114243.jpg
    Screenshot_20230205-114243.jpg
    946.2 KB · Views: 8
This OS Map revised 1937 showing Bleak Hill Road. In 1913 it was known as Bleakhill Lane.

(Should it be Knightswick Crescent ?)

82A36579-E1CD-40D9-A455-1F8CEA30D2CB.jpeg

Last edited:
This OS Map revised 1937 showing Bleak Hill Road. In 1913 it was known as Bleakhill Lane.

(Should it be Knightswick Crescent ?)

View attachment 177779
Sorry, I made a typo, predictive text does this to me all the time. It's actually Knightwick Crescent ( which I know very well- see the back of Mum's photo too, so neither the typo above or Knightswick Crescent, but Knightwick Crescent singular.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230205-150434.jpg
    Screenshot_20230205-150434.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 2
Back