• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ANN STREET CITY CENTRE

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
two great pics of ann st....i find it amazing to think it once looked like this....think thats the town hall in the distance on the first pic

lyn

Replacement image for pic 1 image dated 1867

image.jpeg

Replacement image for pic 2 image dated 1873
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi dek..the council house was built on the site of pic 2...pic 1 is a long shot looking towards the town hall...

lyn...

Thanks Lyn iv,e got it now. Is that the town Hall on the left hand side of the second picture ? ( i work on the town hall refurbishment a couple of years ago pity i wasn,t on the forum then could have got loads of photos).D4ek

yes dek..its the town hall...now you have yer bearings....i still find it hard to imagine town being like that...dont know why but ive always thought it was like it is now.......yes i know...im a strange one..lol...

lyn

Lyn. Its lovely to see those old pics well before our time. Views our distant relatives may well have seen.

Brilliant pics. Like Lyn, I always assumed it was always the way it is now, with the Council House as we know it. I am amazed.

glad you like them maggs...moss i was going to ask that very same question but i forgot to post it.. but yes i would say that ann st as was became colmore row...if we are wrong someone will put us right....

lyn

Lyn
Almost right i think . Ann St was added to colmore row to extend it, but was only part, as you can see from the 1839 map
mike

sw_city_centre_1839.jpg

i was just wondering if the building on the left on my pic 1 is still there...

lyn

Ann Street 1531 it was just a lane with out a name, 1731 New Hall Lane, 1751 Bewdley street/ Colemore Row, 1758 Ann Street or Mount Pleasant, Colemore Row, 1778 Ann Street / Colemore Row ,
1781 Ann Street, or Mount Pleasant, Colemore Row, Bull Lane, 1839 Ann Street , Colemore Row.

Last edited:
This thread has some pictures that go well with those recently posted of Paradise Street. They give the most complete image of the area that I have seen.
Thanks.
Ted

Back